Hey guys, I'm doing a whole lot of riding on my Venture and enjoying every minute of it.. wow.. what a fantastic bike..

I am searching for a GREAT touring helmet.. one that will easily and nicely accept comms, comfortable, quiet and lightweight.. The 3/4 helmet I currently use places the speakers too high up into the helmet so that they are sitting above your ears.. weird setup..

I can't wear a full face or modular (full face composite) type helmets due to the fact that last year's reconstructive surgery left me with my chin so far forward that I can't wear those anymore.. so strange.. (but I'm not strange looking, honest)

Any recommendations from thems who rides a lot? The local shops only seem to stock the same junk helmets that don't seem to fit or lack the nice touches a person wants for long range riding.. ya know?

Cheers

I hear the shoe is da bomb. I cant afford one at 500 buckaroos. My 3/4 helmet is so hot here in SC I bought a 1/2 helmet (Fulmer). It is very comfortable and light weight. It might not be so good for crashes you know. Full faced are the best for face plants. Any DOT kind will give you a pass with the Police. Well, Hope you find one soon. Mine cost a meer 50.00. Not bad concidering the heat this summer. I'll go back to my 3/4 in the fall.

I hear the shoe is da bomb. I cant afford one at 500 buckaroos. My 3/4 helmet is so hot here in SC I bought a 1/2 helmet (Fulmer). It is very comfortable and light weight. It might not be so good for crashes you know. Full faced are the best for face plants. Any DOT kind will give you a pass with the Police. Well, Hope you find one soon. Mine cost a meer 50.00. Not bad concidering the heat this summer. I'll go back to my 3/4 in the fall.

Hard to find helmets in this area.. seems they only want to carry cheaper brands.. few selections.. I'm lookin..

Thats too bad. Well, I went around last week and tried on several kinds. HJC, Vega. I think Vega might be on the bottom of the qualitiy heap. I wasnt happy with the fit of any of them. All the 1/2 helmets hit the tops of my ears. Then with my sun glasses on, it was terrible. Then, I ended up at a Yamaha shop, tried on a 1/2 Fulmer. It was great. Sold !!, to the man in the black hat. I was happy, buuut only because I tried on several helmts before I found the right one. I would never buy one off the internet. All of the brands fit differently. Only my opinion though.

I'll just throw something out there for you to consider. I have been looking at a couple of helmets designed for dual sports. They are like an off road helmet, so the chin piece has quite a bit more room than a traditional full face. Shoei and Arai both make ones that also have a face shield, so they are good on the street also, you don't have to wear goggles for eye protection. Not sure about headsets, you will have to look at each one. I also think they would be cooler in the summer. I think they will cost around 400 bucks, but most Shoei's and Arais do. The other thing I like is that they have a builtin visor so you can block the sun. Another great advantage to these helmets.

Just an idea for something else to look at.

Tom

I'll just throw something out there for you to consider. I have been looking at a couple of helmets designed for dual sports. They are like an off road helmet, so the chin piece has quite a bit more room than a traditional full face. Shoei and Arai both make ones that also have a face shield, so they are good on the street also, you don't have to wear goggles for eye protection. Not sure about headsets, you will have to look at each one. I also think they would be cooler in the summer. I think they will cost around 400 bucks, but most Shoei's and Arais do. The other thing I like is that they have a builtin visor so you can block the sun. Another great advantage to these helmets.

Just an idea for something else to look at.

Tom

Thanks Tom.. I'll check into it.

Thats too bad. Well, I went around last week and tried on several kinds. HJC, Vega. I think Vega might be on the bottom of the qualitiy heap. I wasnt happy with the fit of any of them. All the 1/2 helmets hit the tops of my ears. Then with my sun glasses on, it was terrible. Then, I ended up at a Yamaha shop, tried on a 1/2 Fulmer. It was great. Sold !!, to the man in the black hat. I was happy, buuut only because I tried on several helmts before I found the right one. I would never buy one off the internet. All of the brands fit differently. Only my opinion though.

The ideal thing is to find one locally, try it on for size and then order one from online if you can get it to the door at an amazing price.. However.. just trying to find one egads

I use the Shoei RJ Platinum-R. The speakers seem to fit fine in mine and it's Snell rated.

It fits my head just fine but you never know about anyone else. Best to try them on before buying one.

http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/rjair/rjairblack

Now that looks like just what I'm looking for.. if only I can find one locally to try out.. Helmetcity ships to Canada as well.. bonus!

Thanks for the tip!

+1 for the HJC AC-3.

Very comfortable. Can use the included visor (similar to the Shoei visor pictured in Mariner's post) or swap the visor out for a face shield - without tools.

It's also one of the very few non-full-face helmets with the Snell certification.

Edited by SteveP
Added link.

Hey guys, I'm doing a whole lot of riding on my Venture and enjoying every minute of it.. wow.. what a fantastic bike..

I am searching for a GREAT touring helmet.. one that will easily and nicely accept comms, comfortable, quiet and lightweight.. The 3/4 helmet I currently use places the speakers too high up into the helmet so that they are sitting above your ears.. weird setup..

I can't wear a full face or modular (full face composite) type helmets due to the fact that last year's reconstructive surgery left me with my chin so far forward that I can't wear those anymore.. so strange.. (but I'm not strange looking, honest)

Any recommendations from thems who rides a lot? The local shops only seem to stock the same junk helmets that don't seem to fit or lack the nice touches a person wants for long range riding.. ya know?

Cheers

I wear a Bell Shorty, leather covered, I think its call Black Hide officially. I then use the J&M half helmet slide in headset. It goes in and out of the helmet quickly, so when you want to use the speakers or don't need the mike for cb/intercom you just take it out. takes 1 minute to put in and 15 seconds to take out.

I just bought an HJC IS-33. 3/4 with a face shield, drop down fighter pilot style sun shade, and nice look and interior. First helmet I have had that I can actually feel the airflow when those tiny vents on top are open.

Fit very nice, size was true to their size chart. It seems to not go down as far on the sides by maybe 1/2" as the Nolan I still have.

I buy the cheap J&M headset units with the thick speakers. I had to cut out all the padding at the ears to mount my speakers, but they fit great, don't touch my ears and the sound is good, still plenty of padding around the head to protect.

You can get them lots of places, shop around you can get them for $120-125 with free shipping.

+1 for the HJC.

Very comfortable. Can use the included visor (pictured in Mariner's post) or swap the visor out for a face shield - without tools.

It's also one of the very few non-full-face helmets with the Snell certification.

Seaking...We just bought my son a FF HJC helmet and I was surprised on how much space the rider may have in front of the face. So, this FF helmet may work for you. I always wear FF ever since and my brand is Arai, the shape of my head and face and the Arai helmet is just perfect.

Happy shopping.

Me and my gal both wear these. Wind noise is nil, speakers fit in fine and at the right hieght, (did not cut anything out on ours). And the fighter pilot shield is just freakin cool. As a side note we ordered them in HJC's color called aranthicite. Perfect match to the 08 grey.

Edited by Herb In Texas
added color.

I've got a full face modular that I hate...it amplifies the engine noise and has alot of wind noise. Does this helmet have the same characteristics?

I also use the CL-33 when I want face coverage. I haven't noticed any increased noise. It has built-in speaker pockets, and slits to route the wires outside the padding.

Another point, I rode 750-1000 miles home from the Grand Canyon in rain, and my face never got wet. That is, I never had leakages or drips coming under the face shield even in the sometimes intense rain we rode through.

Take a look at the Nolen 3/4 (model 84?). They are "N-Com" compatible and should do everything you want. I wear a Nolen 102 (Modular) and am very satisfied with it.

The wife and I also like our Nolan N012. They are very comforable. We both went through a couple of cheaper helmets before getting these. I love the way the J & M comm unit plugs in. No more fighitng to keep everything attached.

For 3/4 helmet check out the N42 or N42E.

http://www.nolanhelmets.com/images/helmets/n42encom16.jpg

Seaking...We just bought my son a FF HJC helmet and I was surprised on how much space the rider may have in front of the face. So, this FF helmet may work for you. I always wear FF ever since and my brand is Arai, the shape of my head and face and the Arai helmet is just perfect.

Happy shopping.

Thanks M8, I'll have a look at them if I can find one locally..

Speaking,

I've got an HJC FS-2. Its a 1/2 helmet, with speaker pouches integrated into the chin strap. The way it's designed, you can zip out the lower 1/2 of the liner on hot days and still keep the speakers in. Reasonably light weight and fits in one of the side bags of the RSV/RSTD once you park.

Good luck in your search.

Bob

I use KBC Tour-Com Solid Helmet. they have one in Blue that matches my 07 pretty close. Have one for me and my girlfriend and added J&M Headsets. We both like these for long trips. Bought them both online ttp://www.helmetshop.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Open+Face+Helmets:KBC+Tourcom+Helmets and my girlfriends did not fit. They exchanged it no problem.

I use KBC Tour-Com Solid Helmet. they have one in Blue that matches my 07 pretty close. Have one for me and my girlfriend and added J&M Headsets. We both like these for long trips. Bought them both online ttp://www.helmetshop.com/CategoryProductList.jsp?cat=Open+Face+Helmets:KBC+Tourcom+Helmets and my girlfriends did not fit. They exchanged it no problem.

+1 I've really used mine alot no problems. I've washed the liner at least a dozen times with no stretching as well.

:2cents: