IGNORED

Why do the ventures whine?

The Pro's here say it is due to (1) the cut of the gears in the tranny....and (2)the clutch basket.

Solution: (1)Have the Dealer install a "I" clutch basket......or (2)you can drown the whine with loud pipes and loud music, or (3) loud wimmen.

Boomer.....who has the first two and is trying to chase down the third.:scorched:

I have a 2000 venture and it whines. Why do they whine? Can this be fixed?

Yeah, just leave your passenger at home and don't let her back on until she agrees to stop whining.. ?

it's got more to do with the type of gears in the engine / transmission.. get louder pipes, ear plugs or more time on the bike so that you'll no longer hear it..

The good news is that after you ride your bike a lot, you'll not even notice that whine..

All these bikes whine because of straight cut gears. The entire edge of each gear contacting with each other as they mesh is what you hear.

Look on the bright side, Its annoying to hear on these ventures (Untill I got some Barons pipes :whistling:) but I had a BMW pull up and park near me once, and the whine was 10x worse.

There is a way Yamaha could reduce the noise by adding slant-cut gears so the mesh with teeth rolling into each other like:

//////////\\\\\\\\\\\\

Then the noise is GREATLY reduced. However, this causes the gears to want to slide up on and down on the shaft -- hence they go with Straight cut ||||||||||||||||.

Idealistically they'd create V shaped gears that mesh >>>>>>>

At least, that's how it was all explained to me when I asked my gear-head riding bud. (I asked why they don't have V gears)

At least, that's how it was all explained to me when I asked my gear-head riding bud. (I asked why they don't have V gears)

As I understand it, the V cut gears are VERY expensive to machine compared to an angle cut or a straight cut gear.

You are correct on the side loads produced by an angle cut gear, and they wear out faster.

After owning my "new to me" 05 RSTD for a month and putting 2200 miles on it, I am getting used to the whine. As mentioned in an earlier post: I tell my buddies it's the Turbo Waste Gate. After twisting the throttle and leaving the Honda's and Kawasaki's behind....They believe me!

:big-grin-emoticon:

As I understand it, the V cut gears are VERY expensive to machine compared to an angle cut or a straight cut gear.

You are correct on the side loads produced by an angle cut gear, and they wear out faster.

Actually, I suspect with the CNC type machining setups so common today in manufacturing, I doubt the cost is any different.

RandyA

Are you using Mobile 1 15w -40 ?

No I'm using the racing 4t which is a 10w-40. I just got back from a ride on the interstate and in 5th gear the trans makes no noise at all, on decel the gear whine is barely audible now, where before it kind of had the sound of a chevy with a gear drive cam.

Actually, I suspect with the CNC type machining setups so common today in manufacturing, I doubt the cost is any different.

RandyA

CNC machining is slow (relatively speaking), and expensive. In volume I'm sure helical gears are cut on a specialized machine with specialized tooling that knocks them out in a few seconds. The machine for spur (straight cut) gears would be even simpler.

All these bikes whine because of straight cut gears. The entire edge of each gear contacting with each other as they mesh is what you hear.

They all don't whine. Mine has no whine, chirp or rear end noise.

I feel blessed.

Guest Nevada Max

Believe it or not you hear the whine because, IMHO, you are not driving in the right rev range for the gear. These finest machine have an fantastic rpm range that us old time V-Twin or Bwmers/airhead guys to not appreciate. Rev it up and the whine is not present at least on my mountain tripa to Lake Tahoe or Virginia City.

Get rid of the windshield and wear ear plugs as I do with my RSTD. Can not ear a thing. If I ever get my brackets from Rugamuffin I put the RK pipes on.

Nevada Max

The question I have is why a bike without significant low end torque needs straight cut gears? My previous bike, a VTX 1800, had enough low end torque to pull stumps out of the ground - yet, the drivetrain / transmission was whisper quiet.

I had the "I" basket put on my bike earlier this month for the chirp. THE CHIRP AND THE WHINE ARE NOT THE SAME THING! While the new basket made the chirp a lot better, it appears to have increased the volume of the gear whine. It's getting louder the more miles I put on her, and I absolutely hate it.

I have to tell you - I think I'd rather live with the chirp it had before than continue to tolerate the whine it has developed since the basket change. The whine is worse to me by far. If your chirp isn't too bad, keep the basket you have as the new basket may open up a whole new can of worms.

I love this motorcycle, but dang, I miss my VTX sound (or lack thereof). My dealership, whose service dept. is very good, says they can't help me with this. I haven't asked that they put the old basket back on the bike, hoping the whine will improve with time. I think what will eventually happen is that I'll trade the bike in for different tourer. Maybe a Goldwing or Voyager. Right now I'd lose my butt on a trade in, so I'm pretty much stuck with it.

Good luck trying to fix what appears to be unfixable. :confused:

Here is a picture of the basket. I always wondered what one looked like.

I have a 05TD. Had it about 2 months now, noticed the loud noise on the way home from buying it. Did some research and found this place and all the complains about the noise. Had the local dealer change out to the I basket. Took about 20-25% of the noise down.

I did some experimenting the other day, usually wear a 1/2 helmet, switched to a 3/4 with face shield, with the shield down cuts it down better than half. Take your bike's windshield off and you cant hear anything but wind after about 25mph. Next step is mobile 1 this weekend. I also have some speakers on the way for next weekend. Next step is the pipes.

Don't let your dealor tell you there is nothing they can do about the whine. My 99 had the chirp and was fixed by factory mech at my dealors shop. My 02 had the chirp.dry drive splines and final drive whine that got so bad I took it in and told them to keep it till it was fixed. They had bad final drives in the last batch of 1st gen ventures, had a buddy that went through that problem with yamaha in 87. The drive shaft splines that enter the final drive on my 02 had no lube from the factoy and the edges of the splines were worn sharp. Have them check bearings in final and your drive shaft, they may have to replace both. I ride with only my cb on 95% of the time now its very quiet. Good luck, and don't be afraid to call customer service, let them get to know you by first name.