IGNORED

Immediate observations of my first day Electra Glide v. Royal Star

New guy here, just picked up my 2009 RSTD S today. Traded in my 2003 HD Electra Glide Classic for it. Road 100 miles so far and here is what I learned.

Shaft drive is not as smooth. Forgot that. But it is reliable. The RSTD does vibrate some when applying power up hills and accelerating. Feels like it is coming from the rear /shaft.

RSTD gearing is a little lower in fifth. That was a surprise.

The RSTD stock seat is horrible. 1 hour and we were sore. Thought about the Butler mod but ordered a Mustang seat instead. Liked the one I had on the Harley a lot.

The RSTD engine is very car-like compared to the chug - chug Harley V-twin. Very smooth and lots of power (which I did not sample much as I am in the break in period). The pipes are really quiet - that's a change.

The RSTD seems to have a little more rake in the front end and turns a little different, but very nice and balanced. The shifting is considerably smoother than the Harley.

The RSTD display is cool. I like it and it functions well. I always thought the Harley Guages were a little boring.

The RSTD suspension is better. Smoother and takes bumps better.

The hard cases are much nicer on the RSTD. The lids don't come off! The RSTD windshield is way higher, which I like because I am tall.

The RSTD is a much tighter machine all around. The Harley is something of a bucket of bolts, even when running well and in good repair.

I look forward to sharing more as I get used to this bike. I have already learned a lot from this site. Hope I don;'t get the chirp! :hihi:

New guy here, just picked up my 2009 RSTD S today. Traded in my 2003 HD Electra Glide Classic for it. Road 100 miles so far and here is what I learned.

Thank you for your observations. Welcome to the site!

How do you find the steering compared to your HD? I came from a smaller bike and thought the steering very heavy, which I expected. When I changed out the stock tires, the handling was much improved. Since you have come from a large bike, does it handle heavily from your perspective? Are they still putting Bridgestones on the new bikes?

Again, welcome.

As Buddyrich mentioned you may be lugging the engine. I did the same thing when I moved from a v-twin to the V4. I don't think about accelerating in 5th gear anywhere below 60 mph. Before I installed a tach I thought it ran ok and I was shifting at really high RPMs. After the tach I found it ran much better and had only been cranking it up to about 5000 rpms. With the tach I let it run on up to 6200 and really felt what it could do.

Welcome!

Dennis

Congrads on the RSV. Growing up with brothers and friends riding Harleys, I can relate. Still today on rides my friends will switch bikes, never once do I hear them tell me the RSV is better, some will even say they don't like it, but when I see the smile on their face when they are riding the RSV, I know which is the better bike. But like Dennis said, after you give a long break in period, let her whine out when you shift, she will really show you what the RSV is about. Have Fun, Later-

Coming off a V-twin your probably lugging the engine. These V-4's like a lot of rpm and run much better at 4k and up. They will do 85 in third, so after you break it in you can see that for yourself.

I think this is part of my thing. I always seem to be obsessed with keeping the RPMs as low as possible, maybe not to the point of lugging the motor but I really don't like to wind it out. Harleys have very clear shift points and with a tach it was never in doubt. I think that I will have to shift less and learn to love the higher RPMs. With the stock pipes so quiet I hear the motor and tranny so much, it just seems weird I guess.

That said, I do notice some vibration when accelerating that is not there with the Harley. I felt it in the handle bars and in the seat today, in fifth gear doing 60 accelerating to seventy and going up hills. It was not troubling, just there. With the Harley it vibrates like crazy at idle and then smooths way out at speed. I think that what I am noticing is the difference between shaft drive and belt drive mostly. I had a shaft drive Suzuki M50 before and it feels similar to that. But I would agree that shifting later is probably key to smoother riding for me now. I need to love the overhead cams and the higher RPMs for all there glory! Thanks for the input.

Thank you for your observations. Welcome to the site!

How do you find the steering compared to your HD? I came from a smaller bike and thought the steering very heavy, which I expected. When I changed out the stock tires, the handling was much improved. Since you have come from a large bike, does it handle heavily from your perspective? Are they still putting Bridgestones on the new bikes?

Again, welcome.

Thanks. The steering is great. U turns are still clunky but that is mostly my fault - I was so used to the Harley and now I am riding like a new guy a little. But generally the bike handles great. I am very pleased. Don;t know what I have for tires but I will check.

As Buddyrich mentioned you may be lugging the engine. I did the same thing when I moved from a v-twin to the V4. I don't think about accelerating in 5th gear anywhere below 60 mph. Before I installed a tach I thought it ran ok and I was shifting at really high RPMs. After the tach I found it ran much better and had only been cranking it up to about 5000 rpms. With the tach I let it run on up to 6200 and really felt what it could do.

Welcome!

Dennis

OMG! Those RPMs scare the hell out of me! But as said here several times, I have to get used to it. I rarely ever went over four on the Harley, ever. Routinely running over five freaks me out a little, but as everyone knows these bikes are made to run that way. Thanks for the info and reassurance everyone. It is great to have the benefit of others' experience. Here is a pic from today and pic of the old ride.

http://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/gibletdyckout/2009RSTD.jpghttp://i170.photobucket.com/albums/u264/gibletdyckout/bikepicsmall.jpg

Edited by shmedly
pic

I think this is part of my thing. I always seem to be obsessed with keeping the RPMs as low as possible, maybe not to the point of lugging the motor but I really don't like to wind it out. Harleys have very clear shift points and with a tach it was never in doubt. I think that I will have to shift less and learn to love the higher RPMs. With the stock pipes so quiet I hear the motor and tranny so much, it just seems weird I guess.

That said, I do notice some vibration when accelerating that is not there with the Harley. I felt it in the handle bars and in the seat today, in fifth gear doing 60 accelerating to seventy and going up hills. It was not troubling, just there. With the Harley it vibrates like crazy at idle and then smooths way out at speed. I think that what I am noticing is the difference between shaft drive and belt drive mostly. I had a shaft drive Suzuki M50 before and it feels similar to that. But I would agree that shifting later is probably key to smoother riding for me now. I need to love the overhead cams and the higher RPMs for all there glory! Thanks for the input.

It is gonna vibrate if you are 60 in 5th going up hills accellerating.I run the hill country in Texas alot as i live there,wind her up,you will get use to it. I ran mine HARD the other day,I come out of 3rd around 93-95 mph. usually at 60 and if I need to accelerate quick ill downshift to 3rd and romp on it..if you do hold on!Hills should not be a problem 2 up at 60 in 4th.

Remember that 5th is OVERDRIVE...Ya really shouldn't be using it to "accelerate" from 60 per. Yeah, it WILL do it, but at 60 you and the bike would be much happier in 4th. Acceleration will be much quicker and, surprisingly, you'll find the bike much smoother as well.

Enjoy the ride! I've just had my RSV a few weeks, but I really love it!!:duck:

I will run at 5th gear at 60 but if I want to accelerate I drop to fourth and if if I want to pass it go to third.

Also remember 60 is not really 60. The speedo is off by about 7% (so you are actually going slower than 60), odometer is only 1-2% off.

Brad

I shift my RSTD at about 4,000 rpm unless I'm accelerating rapidly for some reason. And cruise it at about 3,500 rpm. Added a Baron Tach a few weeks ago.

On a flat where its slow go, may let rpms drop slightly below 3,000 before downshifting.

I doubt my engine has seen 6,000 rpm more than 3 or 4 times.

On the RSTD both 4th and 5th are overdrives, on the VR only 5th is an overdrive.

So far, I'm ok with my stock seat.

I like this bike except for the whine it makes.

When I first got mine, I did the same thing. That shudder you get when you try to accelerate at low RPMs is almost like a miss. It felt like the old Chevy nova I had when the points went bad. I was used to a V-twin and was lugging it.

You'll get used to where to shift, and it will never do it again. It is the V-4 engine, not the driveshaft.

You can't quickly accelerate at 60 or even 70 in 5th without the shudder. After I got used to it, I never do it unless I do it on purpose for some reason.

Wonder if your carbs are a bit out of sync and you're getting a little vibration cause of that. Just a thought.

Nope, they're fine. I was lugging it. Tonight I went out and stayed in third most of the time and it was smooth as a baby's bum. Now I can ride and forget wrenching for a while. Yeah!

:fingers-crossed-emo

Congrats on the new bike. You'll love it. I had an 05 that I put ~14k on. Took me forever to get used to the higher RPM, but as folks on the site have stated, get used to it, that's how they run. The thing that freaked me out the most is how it felt like I needed to shift again when in 5th gear doing ~70. Running a Venture now, same running characteristics.

I have noticed that on curvy, hilly roads ~50mph, its best to resist the temptation to shift into 5th... bike will lug terribly if you shift into 5th too soon under these conditions (as stated in the other posts). In my experience, this is the engine/rpm NOT the driveshaft. It will run like a top in 4th.

BTW... you'll have NO problem keeping up with your Harley friends, even 2 up... just have to keep the RPMs high. There's some interesting threads on the site about how high you can run the Rpms before the rev limiter kicks in... its something really high like 60 or 70 in 1st or 2nd. Bottom line is.... if you think its too high, you're probably not even close.

Again, good luck, enjoy the ride, you'll love it. You'll find folks on the site most helpful.

Nice picture btw... great looking bike.

Bob

Hey shmedly, Good Pictures, like the colors, almost same on both bikes, about the same colors I had on the V*1100. On the Harley you were just sitting there, on the TD you had a Big Grin, man is that a good sign, lol.

In parking lots at slow speeds, the TD will take a wider turn ratio than the Harley, because the TD is a longer bike. When it came time for tire replacement I asked around, Squidley told me about the Avon Venom 130 Front Tire, it made a Tremedous Difference to me in slow speed turning and handling. Give it time to Break In, I know you want to try her out, but.... Anyways, have fun, Later-

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyR

On the RSTD both 4th and 5th are overdrives, on the VR only 5th is an overdrive.

Is this true??? and if so, why the difference?

This is what it gives in the specs on RSTD and RSV both on Starmotorcycle.com

5-speed, wide-ratio w/5th-gear overdrive; hydraulic clutch

37 mpg is about normal to me. Some get 33 up to 45 mpg. My Normal two up on the RSV is about 35-40, single 38-43 depending on how much I get on it, wind, speed, etc. Out west trip last year we averaged 37.5 mpg. Yamaha's MPG on their motorcycles are low compaired to others. But your detuned vmax engine will run forever. So half dozen one for another compaired to money going out on repairs. Have Fun, Later-