IGNORED

Tip for reinstalling drive shaft

First off, let me say that I cannot take credit for this trick to make reinstalling your driveshaft a short and simple process. That credit belongs to Pegscraper, otherwise known as Lynn Nicholls.

Turn back a few pages.....some time back, Lynn had replaced his rear drive with a modified VMAX rear drive unit. He had a skilled machinist modify the housing to accept the speedo sensor (that is the only external difference between the Venture/Royal Star housing and the VMAX housing). He has now decided that he is going to replace his RS tranny with the tranny out of a 1st Gen and therefore needs to go back to a RS/RSV rear drive.....you'll have to get the details from Lynn if you are curious. Anyway, he asked if I'd be interested in swapping my RSV drive unit for his VX unit. HECK YES!!!!

So, last night was the chosen time to make the swap. In talking earlier about doing this, Lynn had made the comment that putting the drive shaft back in was not a difficult task, not nearly as bad as I've read here on the boards. So I decided to carefully observe and see what his trick was to an easy reinstall. Sure enough....it only took him about 2 minutes max to get the drive shaft back into the yoke. Want to know how he does it????

Just send me $9.95 by paypal and I'll let you in on the secret!!!!

:mo money::rotfl::banana:

Just Kidding.....don't shoot me.

Here it is...and it's so easy. Lynn puts the driveshaft back in without reinstalling into the rear drive unit first. Doing it that way makes it easy to "feel" the yoke, lift it into alignment, and slide the shaft into place. At first I was concerned about whether this would possibly create a problem on the drive housing end of things, but with the spring in the housing pushing toward the yoke, it is pretty obvious that the shaft ends up all the way into the yoke anyway.

Well, when reinstalling mine I did the same. I'm not as good at it as Lynn is....took me all of 10 minutes to get mine realigned. But I finally figured out the trick and it isn't bad at all.

So, first of all....THANK YOU to Pegscraper for swapping with me. The RSV is a totally different beast with that rear drive in it. About pulled my arms out of their sockets when I hammered it hard on the test drive! And secondly, thanks for the assembly trick, Lynn!!!

Joe

The day before I left for MD, I had my rear wheel /drive shaft out for lubing and about drove myself nuts getting it back in. I ended up removing the pumpkin like you, and that made it much easier.

I will add two things though--have the U-joint at a 90deg (someone told me this after the fact) so that it can only swivel straight up and down, AND have it in gear. I think having it in gear might just be the biggest tip.

Steve

Thanks for the posts. I'm thinking I should do my shaft and splines even though the bike is new and only has 4000miles on it. There have been too many stories about poorly lubed shafts as the bike came from the factory. I'd just as soon not have to take my ride in for warranty work.

Off to a Honda auto dealer to get some moly60, and I might as well get a handful of crush washers while I'm there.

:Cartoon_397:

Off to a Honda auto dealer to get some moly60, and I might as well get a handful of crush washers while I'm there.

:Cartoon_397:

Huh? Sorry, but what do you need the crush washers for on your rear end? Oops, that don't sound right either. Where do you use crush washers?

I would like to do the same to my RSV but I just got it, don't have a lift or the adaptor. Is there anyone in the Spokane area that has these items and are willing to help/train? Thanks and thank for all of the information provided. :icon_smile_question

Huh? Sorry, but what do you need the crush washers for on your rear end? Oops, that don't sound right either. Where do you use crush washers?

Oil. There's a Honda car compatible part which I might as well stock up on if I'm going to get some moly60. Sorry for confusing the talk on shaft maintenance.