IGNORED

On to a new adventure

Texaskid

In about a week, we will be leaving California and moving to New Mexico. I have been here in California for 38 years. Things are just getting to expensive and when you are on fixed income, you got to do what you have to do. Also the school system here is getting pretty bad. They are letting go of a bunch of teachers and the class room size to way to large for the kids to get a decent education. The people here are in a hurry to get no where.

We will be living in a town called Polvadera which is 7 miles north of Socorro. My brother lives in Albuquerque and works in Socorro. He works like 2 to 4 days a month (E.R.Doctor) and has a 2nd gen venture (2005). So hope fully we will be riding as much as we can. As long as we keep the wives happy. They don't ride. My wife has ridden with me once and I still have imprints from her nails in my side. And that was last year. We have been there twice and both the kids and the wife love it there. I think the education will be better for the kids there than it would be here.

We already have a house there on 1/2 acre and across the irigation ditch is 10 acres and a couple of horses.And the best part...........no rent. So my time will be spent working with the horses and keeping the place up. And of course some m/c riding.

My cousin lives in Santa Fe and is the manager for the HD there. Do not fret, I don't plan on buying one. I am happy with my 89 VR.

So with that I will say good night and happy roads to every one.

Bill

Guest seuadr

i've never lived in california, but the price they charge for stuff there is INSANE! i'm sure you will LOVe new mexico! i've seen some pretty beautiful riding in the desert states, make sure to get us some cool pictures!

JACK, will kinda miss the area, but I think we will like it down there. My cousin sent me a HOG letter from Santa Fe and I think that in August they are having some sort of get together in Albuquerque for all the dealers in New Mexico. Said that I didn't need to ride a Harley but to bring the bike anyway and get to meet some fellow riders in the area. When we were there, the people were so much friendlier.

Will take pic's once we get settled. The person that has a house behind the one we will be living in rides a goldwing and is retired also.

so if you happen to be in the neighbor hood, stop by and say hi. My cell phone will still be the same for a while.

Hey Bill,

If you keep creeping closer to the east coast, you'll be in Pennsylvania in no time at all! I too lived in Cali for over 20 years and the cost of living grayed a few hairs on my head! I hope you and your family enjoy your new home, and Jean and I will keep you in our prayers for safe journeys to NM.:thumbsup2:

Earl and Jean

Bill,

I am envious of you in that my wife and I have been trying to figure out a way for us to move to northern NM ourselves. I can understand your misgivings about the state that the educational system is in. However, it isn't just California that the classrooms are bulging. I retired from teaching 2 years ago after 13 years and went back to engineering. It wasn't teacher burnout but the fact that school administrators are trying to run schools like a "for profit" business. It seems like they are trying to get the most bang for their (or our) buck. In reality classrooms are getting so large that no teacher can teach. It is all they can do to babysit, hence not much learning is done. Anyway, good luck and I do hope that NM has a better system than many states have adopted. It will be a beautiful place to live. Great people.

Gary

Well. I haven't caught Jack doing any thing to the water yet. But why give him the chance.LOL

Gary the class room size in NM is like 17 students to a teacher and they get their own laptop to use in school. Here the teachers aids have been abolished, and there will be 40 to 50 students per teacher. Not good. And the busing of students have shrunk. We do not bus high school and middle schools any more, and special needs are mandated by Ca law.( use to be a bus driver for 6 years)

Earl, thank for the prayers. We are going to take our time getting there. Furniture will not arrive till after a couple of days of us getting there. once we get settled I will send pic's

Guest HdHtr
Gonna miss ya Bill. Happy trails.. Ya know this is the second VentureRider in my area that's left. Can't figure it out?? Is it me...?? Nah... it's the water??

Jeeze Jack :think: ... when'd the water go bad???

In about a week, we will be leaving California and moving to New Mexico. ...

Bill

Sure do envy you Bill! New Mexico is a great state - I lived in Albuquerque for a few years in the late 70s, and I find just about everything north of White Sands fantastic. I also lived in California for many years in the 60s and early 70s, and I wouldn't go back to that stinking granola freak show for anything! But to each their own - I'm just envious of your description of your place in NM and wish I could live there! Enjoy,

Goose

Hey, Texaskid, sorry you have to leave Calif. but glad you are moving to NM. I have been having a hard time finding VR riders out here. Several owners, but not many that like to ride. Most I'm finding aren't interested in Venture Rider.Org and are not interested in meeting people with like interest(riding). Hope to catch up with you and your brother when you land here. You picked a great place to live. Can ride almost year round and if it feels to cold you can ride south 75 miles where it is warm enough. Don't think you will miss Calif. unless you left some family there.

Shamue

• 4 weeks later...

Well our trip to New Mexico was quite the adventure. We left Sacramento and just north of Fresno 2 of the straps on the left of the bike broke. We pulled into somerestaurant to get breakfast and went to Kragens to get new heavier straps. We left and started to cross the Tehacthapies on 58 and about half way up lost the plates to the trailer. Didn't go back to get it. When we got to Barstow the truck got a little hot. We left there early and got to Needles at 9 a.m. it was already 102+. We headed to Kingsman and then on to Williams. On the way there going up the mountains I was passing a semi and as I was about to the center of him I noticed that his trailer was coming into my lane. I honked and moved over and was half on the shoulder and on the dirt getting close to going sown 40 feet. I guess he finally woke up and realized what was going on and pulled over in his lane. We got to WilliamsAZ. and had to change my shorts. We spent the night there and the next morning headed to Albuquerque. This whole time I had to run with the heater on. Then we ran into some thundershowers. The kind that when you wipers are on fast can't keep up with. I kept my window down so that I could get some cool air. The wife was following in the van. When we got 40 miles from Albuquerque the truck finally had enough and boiled over. Had to have ti towed to my brothers house. I had informed the tow people that they needed a 1 1/2 inch ball to haul the trailer. The tow truck arrived and when he looked for the ball He didn't have on. We tried to get the one off my truck but I had no tools and he didn't have the big wrenches to take it off,so they had to send another tow truck for the trailer. 4 hours in all we had to wait. The next day at my brothers house we worked on the truck and turned out to be the radiator cap.A couple of weeks before we left I had the water pump and the timing belt replaced and the thermostat. But didn't even think about the cap. Well the tow was $234.00 . Very expensive cap.

We arrived here in Polvadera N.M. and the next day the septic decides to back flow. My brother has a shipping container that he was using as a storage on top of the septic tank and can't get to it. Hopefully we can get it moved Wed. One of the neighbors is bring his dup truck to move it. We tried with a 4 by 4 dodge with a winch but it didn't budge. So we have had aporta potty in front of the house for 2 weeks and have to take showers like we are in a RV. You have to be fast.

But all in all we like it here. The people are friendly and they wave to you. I will post pics as soon as we get every thing up and running. This is the first night that we have had a phone and Internet. So you all take care and if you happen to be in the neighborhood, Stop on by.