IGNORED

new jacket

silvercrew

I am looking at upgrading my current leather jacket with one that is cooler in hot weather. I have looked at a few but the one I like the best is one from buell. It has a liner that zips out and and the front opens up to let air flow through it. Does anyone have a jacket that they like that sounds like the one from buell. If so what kind is it and what style.

My wife and I both have the Tourmaster Intake Jacket.

It's a complete mesh jacket that comes with two internal liners. A rain liner and a quilted liner for cold weather:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=43&cat=3

We also have the Venture Air pants which comes with the same system:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=227&cat=4

I highly recommend both.

Cheers,

Leonard

Guest sargeb13

I have a first gear scout III jacket, which is heavy leather and well vented, comfortable into the low 80's. I'm not a fan of perforated leather, as I don't see how it cannot rip up in a go-down or a long slide. Ballistic mesh is another matter, and my personal choice for hot weather.

Michael

I am looking at upgrading my current leather jacket with one that is cooler in hot weather. I have looked at a few but the one I like the best is one from buell. It has a liner that zips out and and the front opens up to let air flow through it. Does anyone have a jacket that they like that sounds like the one from buell. If so what kind is it and what style.

I picked up a Fieldshear mesh and wore it to and from Ft Collins this year. I got very toasty in both directions, but the worst was the trip home hitting 105+ acrossed Nevada. With the sweat wicking off thru the mesh it was a bearable trip, and the jacket is black.... Just had to guzzle lots of water... Why Fieldshear? It was affordable, and in my size on Ebay. Came with a nice liner which I actually wore in the early morning up in Idaho, but shed when getting to Wells. I'm sure one brand is a good as the next, whether the brand is a buzz word/status symbol or not. Just make sure that it provides adiquate protection, and the fit/style is for long distance riding. Generally if the arms are shaped and it has armor the folks that made the jacket have done their homework.

I've bought three jackets through newenough. Great deals and great prices. I have a 1stgear ballistic nylon I dont use much cus it shrunk..lol., a joe rocket complete mesh which is great in the heat, Marilyn has a Joe Rocket mesh with a liner that she actually prefers over her leather Joe Rocket in the heat.

I also have a Tourmaster Intake jacket and would likewise highly recommend it, mine also came with two inserts for the jacket, one is a rain jacket the other a quilted liner for colder weather. It was purchased from NewEnough which also was already mentioned and I too highly recommend them as well.

If you want a summer leather perforated jacket with liner try the River Road brand (I can't remember my model) they make several models. Mine has a quilted liner and soft flexible leather and is excellent for Spring and Fall in our area.

Finally...the Tourmaster comes with removable armor...the River Road brand has no armor.

PS...The Tourmaster Intake is a great Summer jacket...it will keep you at least 10 degrees cooler than the normal temp when you are riding. When you stop...you have no wind going through the perfs so if's it 90 degrees out when stopped it's 90 degrees. LOL!

I love the jackets that Dkknight and I have. They are the TourMaster Flex jackets. The TourMaster Flex is good all year around. When it's cold and /or raining they have a quilted liner and a rain liner. Both liners zip out if you don't need then and then you have a nice light weight jacket. If you're still too hot then the outer shell can be taken off and now you're down to a mesh jacket. They also have refective piping and ballistic "pads".

• 4 months later...

Everyone has different dimensions towards the selection of jackets..i like Alpinestars and i am very particular that i use only of that and i dont care of another..buell is also a nice brand..if u had posted the pics of that.i could have compared and tell you...anyways..zip just make a feel of a great roadie and metal freakier also...

I love the jackets that Dkknight and I have. They are the TourMaster Flex jackets. The TourMaster Flex is good all year around. When it's cold and /or raining they have a quilted liner and a rain liner. Both liners zip out if you don't need then and then you have a nice light weight jacket. If you're still too hot then the outer shell can be taken off and now you're down to a mesh jacket. They also have refective piping and ballistic "pads".

+1 :sign yeah that:

Tourmaster Transition for me, Tourmaster Flex for my wife. The Transition paralels what you looked at from Buel. The Flex is about $30-40 more than the Transition. Both have CE armour. Both are 3 season jackets. I wear Fieldsheer mesh pants, also 3 season with the liners.

Guest KitCarson
I picked up a Fieldshear mesh and wore it to and from Ft Collins this year. I got very toasty in both directions, but the worst was the trip home hitting 105+ acrossed Nevada. With the sweat wicking off thru the mesh it was a bearable trip, and the jacket is black.... Just had to guzzle lots of water... Why Fieldshear? It was affordable, and in my size on Ebay. Came with a nice liner which I actually wore in the early morning up in Idaho, but shed when getting to Wells. I'm sure one brand is a good as the next, whether the brand is a buzz word/status symbol or not. Just make sure that it provides adiquate protection, and the fit/style is for long distance riding. Generally if the arms are shaped and it has armor the folks that made the jacket have done their homework.
Hey Condor: I have found the same situation with a mesh jacket I purchased last summer. I have about six or seven of them.......do have a tourmaster that has velcro peices on the openings to hold them open so you do not have to put masking tape on them.......but I also purchased a nice new fancy yellow open mesh jacket and tried to wear in this South Carolina heat last summer.......I mean I know I should wear it......but when it is 95 to 105. Nothing works!! Jacket ends up in the trunk......might be okay on a bike with no windshield......but with these bikes with a shield......whew!! That thing has to go in the trunk..........I even bought these little wraps you soak in water and wrap around your neck.......has little crystals in them that expand and as they evaporate....keep you cooler........those do work a bit. I honestly have never seen any jacket that is comfortable in hot weather........none.........mine are all different brands........tourmaster......technic.....rocket..........fieldsheer.........all are just about the same......some have features such as key pockets that others do not.........

• 2 months later...

Vanson PROperf SCRV summer leather jacket. 1.7mm/3.5 oz. perforated leather. Not the cheaper pierced method which results in smaller irregular holes (actual tears that close up over time restricting airflow and worse cause the garment to come apart during stress). Vanson punches rounder more uniform holes so more air is channeled and more important does not compromise the strength and original integrity of the leather.

My wife and I both have the Tourmaster Intake Jacket.

It's a complete mesh jacket that comes with two internal liners. A rain liner and a quilted liner for cold weather:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=43&cat=3

We also have the Venture Air pants which comes with the same system:

http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/product.php?productid=227&cat=4

I highly recommend both.

Cheers,

Leonard

Plus one!!! I have the same jacket and pants, I love them..

The wife is cold blooded and never seems to need mesh, even here in Florida, and she doesn't ride when its cold. So she has a standard textile jacket and pants and a two piece rain suit.

http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/mesh_jackets_and_pants/?page=3

Picked me up a FieldSheer Drifter a few weeks ago, and I'm liking it. I've rode anywhere between 39-93F and have been fairly comfortable. Although, I admit, once I dropped to 30mph in the neighborhood, I got hot, but going down the highway I wasn't to bad. It has vents on both the arms/shoulders and back, and the liner can get you nice and toasty.

Plus, it tends to have a nice look that matches my chaps that I wear over my dress pants for work...

• 1 month later...

Walter Dyer makes a nice leather jacket that has a zip in liner and 4 vents (2 frt & 2 rear) that work pretty well. Although when it gets real warm I switch over to my lighter jacket. They're here in Mass. although they do travel to all the big bike rallies. Well made (US of A) leather goods. Quality stuff, a little pricey but worth it.

http://www.walterdyer.com/

Edited by rek58
forgot to add site