IGNORED

Steering Head Gen2

The book says the steering neck needs to be 'repacked' after so many miles (16,000 miles)

My 06 Midnight bike is 'way' over that (no warranty) and I'm wondering if this is one of those checks not really required as it's rare to find anything wrong or is it something you really should have checked out after a certain while..?

I ask as my bike started to demonstrate a strange wobbly-wop in turns at gentler turns and speeds.. nothing to scare you but something you can feel in the bars.. I had the front wheel checked for scalloping (low tire pressure) but this is not the case..

Would this be an indication I should have those bearing repacked and checked?

The bike will be up on jacks soon so it would be an opportune time to do some 'front end checks' if there were any to check for this?

Cheers

To repack the steering head bearings is not an easy job. You have to remove the front fairing, and hence, all the electronics etc. within. I checked mine with about 60k miles and it was still lubed and in good shape.

However, you will periodically need to tighten the bearings. This can be done with a long flat blade screwdriver. Just reach it in under the triple tree and give a couple of raps with a hammer. You will see if it is tight or not.

RR

To repack the steering head bearings is not an easy job. You have to remove the front fairing, and hence, all the electronics etc. within. I checked mine with about 60k miles and it was still lubed and in good shape.

However, you will periodically need to tighten the bearings. This can be done with a long flat blade screwdriver. Just reach it in under the triple tree and give a couple of raps with a hammer. You will see if it is tight or not.

RR

You need to loosen the nut between the risers before you start tapping the adjustment nut. Mine had the same wobble in it when I got it with 30,000 miles on it. I loosened the not between the risers and got on the right side of the Venture. I jacked the Venture up just enough to get the weight off the front tire and started tapping. It doesn't have to move much at all. You want to tap the back side of the adjusting nut to tighten (the side closes to the driver seat) and just move it a little. Check the movement of the front forks so that when the front fall to the side it just wants to hit the stop and bounce back a little. Just follow the instruction in the link above and remember to tighten the bolt back between the risers.:banana:

You need to loosen the nut between the risers before you start tapping the adjustment nut. Mine had the same wobble in it when I got it with 30,000 miles on it. I loosened the not between the risers and got on the right side of the Venture. I jacked the Venture up just enough to get the weight off the front tire and started tapping. It doesn't have to move much at all. You want to tap the back side of the adjusting nut to tighten (the side closes to the driver seat) and just move it a little. Check the movement of the front forks so that when the front fall to the side it just wants to hit the stop and bounce back a little. Just follow the instruction in the link above and remember to tighten the bolt back between the risers.:banana:

Ummm...right. I forgot about that part. Thanks for filling in to gaps.

RR

It's not under warranty hence why I made mention of it.. bought it used.. non-transferable warranty crossing the border.. go figure.. thanks Yammy

Could you not bring it back to a US stealer for warranty work?:confused24:

Could you not bring it back to a US stealer for warranty work?:confused24:

heheh they got me coming AND going.. I was in New England last week and pulled in at a Yamaha dealer to check out what they had on and asked that same question..

Though a US bike, with a useless warranty in Canada, the bike is registered in Canada, thus making it a.. Canadian bike that was sold in the US that doesn't have warranty coverage in Canada because it's a US bike but can't be covered in the US because it's a US bike registered in Canada though it's a US Bike, not a Canadian bike even though it's in the US with the Canadian plates in the US with Canadian rider but not entirely on the right side of the ...

Confused? no kidding..

Thanks Yammy.. Nice warranty..

The dealership guy didn't know what the policy was and couldn't get straight up answer.. so couldn't provide me with a proper answer..

heheh they got me coming AND going.. I was in New England last week and pulled in at a Yamaha dealer to check out what they had on and asked that same question..

Though a US bike, with a useless warranty in Canada, the bike is registered in Canada, thus making it a.. Canadian bike that was sold in the US that doesn't have warranty coverage in Canada because it's a US bike but can't be covered in the US because it's a US bike registered in Canada though it's a US Bike, not a Canadian bike even though it's in the US with the Canadian plates in the US with Canadian rider but not entirely on the right side of the ...

Confused? no kidding..

The dealership guy didn't know what the policy was and couldn't get straight up answer.. so couldn't provide me with a proper answer..

I wonder if a not so polite email was sent to Yamaha Canada asking about a worthless warranty, and just how much the people you know would like to hear about it. Do you think they might be a little bit more helpfull???

Confused? no kidding..

So as to NOT confuse the dealer, can you "borrow" a plate for a day???

Not trying to hijack this thread...but what about a US citizen travelling in Canada or vice versa? Are they not eligible for yamaha warrenty when travelling? I sure hope so.

The issue is Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd. and Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA are two different companies... Which are separate from Yamaha Motor Company Ltd who actually manufactures the bikes in Japan.

All legally separated to IMHO compartmentalize losses and taxes.

I wonder if a not so polite email was sent to Yamaha Canada asking about a worthless warranty, and just how much the people you know would like to hear about it. Do you think they might be a little bit more helpfull???

A motorcycle purchased in the US is covered under a US Warranty.. A Canadian bike purchased in Canada is covered by a Canadian warranty.. A US bike registered in Canada is now a Canadian bike but with a US warranty not applicable in Canada, and the US Warranty cannot be applied in the US as the bike is not registered to a US citizen..

Fun eh? Been through all this with them before, and it was something I was indeed aware of before purchasing the bike.. for the price I paid for this beautiful fun riding 06 Midnight special, I can't complain!! ;)

The issue is Yamaha Motor Canada Ltd. and Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA are two different companies... Which are separate from Yamaha Motor Company Ltd who actually manufactures the bikes in Japan.

All legally separated to IMHO compartmentalize losses and taxes.

And THAT sir, is the crux of the problem..

Simply putting US plates on the bike would only open me up to fraudulent liabilities and when they compare the VIN to the warranty information it would not match up anyway.. so moot point.. meh

I thought that you said it was originally bought in the US, with a US warranty.

Then you bought the bike used and exported it to Canada.

I would think that the US Warranty would still be in effect in the US....no matter where the bike is registered.

Not trying to hijack this thread...but what about a US citizen travelling in Canada or vice versa? Are they not eligible for yamaha warrenty when travelling? I sure hope so.

I asked my dealer about warranty when travelling in the US. He explained that all I had to do was supply a US Yamaha dealer with my Canadian dealer info. They would then cover the warranty issues. From what I understand Yamaha US claims the warranty from Yamaha Canada.

Haven't had to try it out, thank goodness!

I asked my dealer about warranty when travelling in the US. He explained that all I had to do was supply a US Yamaha dealer with my Canadian dealer info. They would then cover the warranty issues. From what I understand Yamaha US claims the warranty from Yamaha Canada.

Haven't had to try it out, thank goodness!

With my 'Canadian dealer info' ?? Yeah that would be great, but this was a private sale..

As mentioned before, I've been through all this before and knowingly so when I bought the bike.. No worries..

I emailed yammi canada and this is what they sent back. Because of the differances in the bikes......like what......that is why they wont honor the warranty. But if you break down it will be warrantied proper....that is if its a canadian bike owned by a canadian breaking down in the USA or visa versa.

Now tell that to Dan when he had a problem in Colorado and had to buy his own parts and pay to get it put on at the yammy dealer there. He's from Chicago. That was one lousy dealer. We couldnt get a tire for Marilyns vstar from them either and when we did they couldnt be bothered to change it.....Squid organized a deal through the Kawi dealer.....go figure huh. Some yammi dealers just suck plain and simple.

I emailed yammi canada and this is what they sent back. Because of the differances in the bikes......like what......that is why they wont honor the warranty. But if you break down it will be warrantied proper....that is if its a canadian bike owned by a canadian breaking down in the USA or visa versa.

Now tell that to Dan when he had a problem in Colorado and had to buy his own parts and pay to get it put on at the yammy dealer there. He's from Chicago. That was one lousy dealer. We couldnt get a tire for Marilyns vstar from them either and when we did they couldnt be bothered to change it.....Squid organized a deal through the Kawi dealer.....go figure huh. Some yammi dealers just suck plain and simple.

I've never taken any of my bikes back to the dealership to get any work done on them.. After the initial break in tuneup, the bike's never been back to the dealer.. Same with my VStar.. there are enough indie shops around that can do good work at a better price and still keep the bikes up and running when the work is too technical for me to complete..

Well I'm off to the shop to start work on the bike to get her spiffied up..

Cheers