IGNORED

Clutch lever feels soft

Well i noticed last night that i have to pull the lever almost all the way back to have a full release. Found that out at a stop light. I have noticed over time that the lever seems like it needs to move a little farther back to release the clutch. The clutch does engage at the same point it always has. It has been hot here in KC and humid for most of the summer. I don't know how old the fluid is but it is not clear but more of a dull darkish tinted color. I have done a few searches on this site and my first course of action will be to change the fluid. I havent had any leaks so maybe a new hose if the fluid swap doesn't do the trick. This site is a great resource for repair how to do's because the members actually do their own repairs and let others know the little things that make a repair job less frustrating. I will keep you posted.:322:

Sounds like you need to Replace the Fluid, bleed the system.

Simply Bleed it like a brake caliper. This might fix your problem, but on an 86, due to age, you might have to Rebuild the Master Cylinder at the Handlebar, and Replace the Slave cylinder.

There are articles in the maintenance section on this.

Try bleeding, and replaceing all the fluid, ( Use Dot 3 or 4 fluid, or Valvoline Synthetic fluid ) This might get you another season and quick fix.

However I would be ordering parts. Rebuild kit for Master, and a New Slave Cylinder. ( Slave cylinder is about $35 and rebuild kit for Slave is about $15 ) However, its best to get a new one.

Also, consider changing the Rubber hose sections of the clutch hydralic system, due to Age of the Rubber Hose.

I just went through the same thing,

I can tell you that after I replaced my dark old fluid, (bled the old out till new clear appeared) it was like a new clutch.

I put over 3,000 miles on it over the next week and it is still like a new clutch.

Steve

THIS HAPPEN TO MY 93 A YEAR AGO,I JUST TOOK OFF THE LID ON THE MASTER AND OPEN THE BLEEDER,AND RAN A PINT OF NEW VALVOLINE SYNTHETIC FLUID THOUGH IT AND MY CLUTCH HAS WORK GOOD EVER SINCE. I JUST LET IT GRAVITY BLEED, JUST DONT LET THE TANK GO DRY AND YOU WILL BE OK. :080402gudl_prv:

I just went through the same thing,

I can tell you that after I replaced my dark old fluid, (bled the old out till new clear appeared) it was like a new clutch.

I put over 3,000 miles on it over the next week and it is still like a new clutch.

Steve

Ditto Had the same thing in 100+ degress heading out west.

Brad