IGNORED

Tank capacity

Don't think I've seen this anywhere, and inquiring minds want to know. Literature says we have a 6 gallon tank. So I went to the gas station with a short piece of fuel hose and a gas can. When I got there, held the bike vertical and drained the tank from the petcock. Refilled it from the gas pump.

5.5 gallons. Now I (we) know.

It will depend on where you fill up to. Punching holes in the filler tank will get you about a half gallon more fuel although I wouldn't recommend filling up that way if you are going to park the bike. I always fill up to the top, but make sure that I go about 10 miles or more before stopping for the day.

could you or someone please explain this and maybe provide pics?

Using an ice pick you can carefully punch holes near the top of the filler neck. This allows you to put more gas in the tank. Do NOT drill the holes as metal filings will end up in your tank.That metal gray filler neck is there to prevent you from filling the tank completely and to allow for the expansion of gasoline in the tank.

Boomer.....who's proud to FINALLY contribute a bit of info to someone on this Site.:dancefool:

Using an ice pick you can carefully punch holes near the top of the filler neck. This allows you to put more gas in the tank. Do NOT drill the holes as metal filings will end up in your tank.That metal gray filler neck is there to prevent you from filling the tank completely and to allow for the expansion of gasoline in the tank.

Boomer.....who's proud to FINALLY contribute a bit of info to someone on this Site.:dancefool:

Hey Boomer you are good for all kinds of info and more than a few good laughs!! Better use a berylium hammer and punch sure dont want no sparks:rasberry: Craig

I used a scratch awl and a hammer. Placed several layers of a rag over the butt end of the awl so the hammer wouldn't make sparks. It is best to do this with a full gas tank. That way there is not a tank full of fumes, which ignite easier than liquid gasoline.

RR

One more thing you may consider.

It really depends on where you fill you tank as to how much you are gonna put in it.

I know you see those calibration stickers on the gas pumps most of the time from the deptment of something from the state you are in.

I have several gas cans I use and one that I haul Race gas in. Most all have incremental marks that show how many gallons are in them. I have put 5.5 gallons to the 5 gallon mark in that thing at some gas stations and 5.25 from other places. something is wrong here.

Also I have put over 16 gallons in the 14 gallon tank of my diesel car. Maybe a gallon in the nect but not over 2 gallons.

What I am getting at...I do not believe the calibration is absolutely correct on these dang gas pumps. Either that or after they get the yearly calibration sticker on that pump...they go and tweek the gallons afterword.:confused07:

I've ridden a few times when the gauge is not showing anything for fuel. I've never ran out of fuel but have pushed it a few times when on a time schedule. I always felt pretty good when I could put in only 5.5 gallons thinking I still had 1/2 gallon left. Now I'm not so sure...............?

I've ridden a few times when the gauge is not showing anything for fuel. I've never ran out of fuel but have pushed it a few times when on a time schedule. I always felt pretty good when I could put in only 5.5 gallons thinking I still had 1/2 gallon left. Now I'm not so sure...............?

I wouldn't necessarily feel good about that - it depends on just how full you were getting the tank. Unless you have vented the filler neck, it is virtually impossible to get that last 1/2 gallon in there from a pressurized gas pump! If you start with a dry tank, 6 gallons of fuel will fill it all the way to the top. By that I mean the real top of the tank, NOT the base of the filler neck (or even 1/2 way up the filler neck).

Goose

Don't think I've seen this anywhere, and inquiring minds want to know. Literature says we have a 6 gallon tank. So I went to the gas station with a short piece of fuel hose and a gas can. When I got there, held the bike vertical and drained the tank from the petcock. Refilled it from the gas pump.

5.5 gallons. Now I (we) know.

Actually, you don't know yet, since the true capacity is six gallons. Two possible problems with your test - I have already documented the trouble getting the tank completely filled in my posts above. The other problem was how you drained the tank. If you didn't turn it up sideways, you didn't get all the gas out. The RSV has no crossover hose to drain the right side, so it relies on sloshing and hills in normal riding to move that last 1/2 gallon or so over to the left side so you can use it. This normally works well unless you are just droning along on a flat smooth straight road while praying for the next fuel stop to show up!

Goose

What is the purpose of the gas tank filler neck?

The neck is designed for one purpose - to prevent you from completely filling the tank!

And why would Yamahaha want to do this? Two reasons:

1. Reduce likelihood you will dump gas all over the place when filling by not shutting off the fuel soon enough.
  2. Reduce the chance that the gas in a too-full tank will expand when sitting in the sun and get pushed out the vent line.

Of course since the vent holes make it easy to fill the tank too full, it is prudent to NOT overfill the tank unless you will be riding at least 10 miles before you let the bike sit and the gas heat up from the sun and the engine heat.

Goose

The neck is designed for one purpose - to prevent you from completely filling the tank!

And why would Yamahaha want to do this? Two reasons:

1. Reduce likelihood you will dump gas all over the place when filling by not shutting off the fuel soon enough.
  2. Reduce the chance that the gas in a too-full tank will expand when sitting in the sun and get pushed out the vent line.

Of course since the vent holes make it easy to fill the tank too full, it is prudent to NOT overfill the tank unless you will be riding at least 10 miles before you let the bike sit and the gas heat up from the sun and the engine heat.

Goose

Am I correct in assuming that even with the neck vented, the pump will "click off" when the gas reaches the nozzle? Then I can carefully fill the tank completely?

Dave

Am I correct in assuming that even with the neck vented, the pump will "click off" when the gas reaches the nozzle? Then I can carefully fill the tank completely?

Dave

Yes, that is simply a function of the fuel pump nozzle design - it will happen even in an open bucket.

Goose

I suspect that punching a hole in the filler neck will have less affect on an RSTD like mine, than it does on a RSV due to the design of the tank. But has anyone done this to an RSTD & what affect did it have on volume of fuel that can be added?

I did mine and I think with the filler neck, it has the same results as a RSV. The most fuel that I have ever put in is 4.7 gallon. Manual says max is 5.3 gallon.

thx

Sounds like another easy maintenance day project to put some punch holes in my filler neck.

I punched a hole in mine back in 2000 when I bought it. But on retrospect I don't think it is necessary. The vent tube is at the highest point on the tank Carefully putting fuel in the filler hole will force air out of the vent tube, as it equilibrilizes the fuel in the filler tube will drop. It just takes a little more time to squeeze that last drop in. So in the long run you wont get any more in with the filler neck swiss cheezed.

It seems to me that as long as there is a way for the air in the top of the tank to escape you can keep filling it up.

Just sayin'.

I punched a hole in mine back in 2000 when I bought it. But on retrospect I don't think it is necessary. The vent tube is at the highest point on the tank Carefully putting fuel in the filler hole will force air out of the vent tube, as it equilibrilizes the fuel in the filler tube will drop. It just takes a little more time to squeeze that last drop in. So in the long run you wont get any more in with the filler neck swiss cheezed.

It seems to me that as long as there is a way for the air in the top of the tank to escape you can keep filling it up.

Just sayin'.

Until you have actually tried it, you may not have the basis for a meaningful evaluation. "A" hole does virtually nothing (unless it's about 1/2" in diameter!) It takes a minimum of four large holes to begin handling enough air release to compensate for the high volume most gas pumps spew forth. By "large" I mean about the size of a 16 penny nail - four of 'em. And even with four large holes, I still get a lot of bubbling up through the filler neck from about 1/2 the pump nozzles that can't be properly slowed down.

Those of us who have actually vented the filler neck with more than "a" hole will personally attest to the huge difference it makes in the ease of getting that last 1/2 gallon in from most pumps.

Goose

BTW - if you pull off the vent hose and look into the tube, you will see that the actual hole there is about the size of a straight pin! In fact, the purpose of the tank vent is to allow air to ENTER the tank as the fuel is sucked out. It is specifically designed to PREVENT as much release of vapors to the atmosphere as possible.