IGNORED

Vibration in grips - numb hand

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. First post.

My throttle hand is turning numb after only 15-20 minutes from the vibration through the grips. Am I doing something wrong or do I need gel gloves or what?

Thanks for any help.

Do you know if you have the factory grips or aftermarket?

When I bought my used Venture, the previous owner had removed the factory grips and weights and put some cheap chrome ones on. My hands would go numb very quickly. I picked up a set of used grips and bar weights off ebay and it's much better now.

I agree. I even tried the very good KuryAkyn grips WITH the stock end weights and my hands still got numb. I went back to my foam padded Yamaha RoadStar grips that I had installed long ago and am much happier.

You might also want to make sure your carbs are well synced. If not, you may be getting some excess vibration.

It is all factory. I bought it new (2008) last summer and I have less than 600 miles on it. I am just getting back into riding after someone pulled out in front of my Goldwing almost 10 years ago. That hurt and it has taken me awhile to want to get back in the saddle.

And even though it is new, and the dealer should know how to sync the carbs, many do not. I notice you are in Indiana. You may want to skip over to Oberlein, OH for the Maintenance Day and get the carbs sync'd properly. There are several threads on here that talk about it.

RR

While I haven't had much of a problem with numb hands I do have the Kuryaken grips without the bar end weights. Just this weekend I installed the Barons bar end weights to those grips and they seem to have helped with the vibration a bit. And as a bonus it added more chrome.

Dennis

Since it's only your throttle hand, and not both, it may be early signs of carpal tunnel syndrome. Gloves too tight around the wrist could be a minor cause. Getting rid of the vibs may help a little....and is still a good thing...., but concintrating on relaxing your grip will help a bunch.

I had the same problem so I bought a pair of gel gloves and it helped a bit. As a temp measure I added a 4 inch long piece of pipe insulation on the throttle grip and it helps alot! By adding that insulation my hand opens up a bit wider, relaxes my grip, and lessens the vibration. The insulation doesn't interfere with the throttle action at all.

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey oneway, welcome back to 2 wheels. Since you may be a bit apprehensive, you may be gripping the bars too tight. Relax, and move your hands around some. Extend your fingers and get the blood flowing.

Also, one brand new Venture that I rode at a demo ride in Sturgis, also had a large amount to buzzing in the grips...more than normal. I suspect it could have been carbs out of sync, or maybe some clamps that were either too tight or too loose. Have the dealer look over the headstock and take it for a ride.

I thought it was the vibration but mine turned out to be carpal tunnel in my wrists. I am thinking of having one fixed this winter.

Last year I couldn't travel 10 minutes without my hand going completely numb, I mean useless to the point I was worried about operating the bike safely. Had my carpal tunnel operation and what a difference. I can ride all day without any numbness.

The only trick was getting the operation done in the winter so I didn't miss any riding...icon10.gif

I am sorry if this is in the wrong place. First post.

My throttle hand is turning numb after only 15-20 minutes from the vibration through the grips. Am I doing something wrong or do I need gel gloves or what?

Thanks for any help.

Also make sure your not lugging this motor, it likes to rev. Excessive lugging will also cause vibration.

You CAN put on the Kuryakyn ISO grips and do some grinding work on the stock weights (and longer bolts). This will give wider grips and still keep the weights on. My mechanic did that for my RSTD. He grinded off the tapered inner part of the weights.

I think some have also tooled out the end of the grips to leave the weights as is.

But a quick remedy might be "GRIP PUPPIES" from California Sport Touring.

See link: http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=CST&Category_Code=GRIPPUP

These are foam sleeves that go over you stock grips. They add diameter and softer/easier grip. I use them for a year on my Road Star and it immediately got rid of my right hand numbness,,, PROMISE.

They are darn cheap,, like $8 a pair. They will eventually wear/tear, so,, then buy again.

They sell two sizes, so check your stock grip diameter.

Cougar,

I got them for my R* a few years ago.

Pretty sure it was the smaller size (top ones), cause I remember asking them later

if I could also order the larger to put over the smaller ones.

(By the way, they said no, they would fit too tight to slide one over the other.)

They are tight to get on. Use dish soap,,, or compressed air.

I think the RSTD (Venture too?) would have the same size stock grips as the R*.

So,,,, blah,,, blah ,, to answer...

Yes, top ones.

Also, Bar836, sorry for the duplication,, didn't see your post to same link.