IGNORED

Trouble with Zumo 550

I have a Zumo 550, used it today, disconnected it and when I plugged it in to return home, it would not turn on. Have tried charging it and nothing happens. Battery was at a full charge when it was turned off. This happened once before right after I bought it, took it back to Best Buy, they got it working but wouldn't tell me what they did to get it working again. Has anybody else had this problem. It is only one year old 5/25.:crying:

I have a Zumo 550, used it today, disconnected it and when I plugged it in to return home, it would not turn on. Have tried charging it and nothing happens. Battery was at a full charge when it was turned off. This happened once before right after I bought it, took it back to Best Buy, they got it working but wouldn't tell me what they did to get it working again. Has anybody else had this problem. It is only one year old 5/25.:crying:

Call Garmin, they will help and most likely tell you to send it to them.

Serveral here have had that issue and Garmin sent them back a new ZUMO.

Yours is under warrenty, so call them.

BEFORE SENDING THE GARMIN BACK TRY REMOVING THE BATTERY FROM THE BACK FOR APPROXIMATELY 5 MINUTES. PUT THE BATTERY PACK BACK AND SEE IF IT WILL TURN ON. MY ZUMO 550 DOES THE SAME THING. IT IS STATIC LOCK UP AND HAPPENS FROM TIME TO TIME. IT IS JUST LIKE RE-:Venture:BOOTING A COMPUTER.

If removing the battery doesnt do it try this. The Garmin Tech had me do this and it worked for me.

Push in on the top left and the bottom right buttons together at the same time and hold them for about 20 seconds and it should come on.

The Garmin tech told me that is how they set them at the factory in place of removing the battery.

If you need another Garmin 550 battery, I just happen to have a darn good one...cheap..

Good idea to throw the allen key to remove the battery in a saddlebag or trunk. Seems like this always happens to my Zumo when I'm half way through a trip and miles from home.:thumbsup2:

Read my post above... you dont need to remove the battery...!!!!!!!!

Read my post above... you dont need to remove the battery...!!!!!!!!

Garmin had me try that the first time mine failed. It did not work for me. They also had me press on the screen corners while starting up. That didn't work either. Had to pull battery to reset mine.

Edited by AlbertaClipper

The problem with the hard reset mentioned is that you may lose a lot, if not all personal data. Removing the battery will maintain all you personal data. The hard reset goes through a formatting function to reset things to factory defaults. That should actually be tried if the battery removal doesn't work. (This is per Garmin Tech Support not my IT knowledge.:confused07:)

• 1 month later...
Call Garmin, they will help and most likely tell you to send it to them.

Serveral here have had that issue and Garmin sent them back a new ZUMO.

Yours is under warrenty, so call them.

Something to consider; If you have paid the $100+ for lifetime Garmin map updates,,, that subscription is locked to the unit used for original update.. If you get a replacement GPS the updates are no longer available.. That will be an argument between you and Garmin.