IGNORED

Does anybody here have the Utopia back rest ?

Hummingbird

I ordered one last evening - it won't ship until June 8th but that's not too long to wait. I was please to see that they offered the pillow style to match the seat.

The only info for mounting was that there was no cutting necessary, is it really that easy to install ?:think:

Don - my knee is not completely healed but last evening I took my wife for a short ride for ice cream. No problems riding so I'd like to change my RSVP to a definite.

So keep an eye out for a 2007 Midnight Venture that's two toned with a light green and pin stripes by Jaybird - that'll be ME.

Really looking forward to meeting some of the members.

btw - how do I upload a picture file to show off my 'NEW" bike ??

Looking forward to seeing you. To upload a picture, just type your post like you normally do then before hitting submit, scroll down and hit the button "Manage Attachments". You'll get a window where you attach your pictures. Make sure they aren't TOO big. 640X480 and no more than 200,000 bytes.

I put the Utopia on my bike and on my first test ride almost wrecked the bike turning into a 7-11. The end of the handlebar hit my knee. I'm 6'5 so the Utopia was pushing me forward just enough to allow this to happen. I got home and promptly took the Utopia off. Once I bought and installed some risers this fixed the problem allowing me to reinstall the Utopia. Now I can't ride without the backrest.

I ordered one last evening - it won't ship until June 8th but that's not too long to wait. I was please to see that they offered the pillow style to match the seat.

The only info for mounting was that there was no cutting necessary, is it really that easy to install ?:think:

What do you mean, does anyone here have the backrest :confused24::stirthepot:

Very easy to install!!!:thumbsup2:

Had one on my 98TC for 8.5 years, it was the first addition I made to my 07 Venture, would not ride with out it.

Very easy to install, resize two holes, do put a block of wood or rubber between the seat pan and the fender when resizing the hole, in case the drill bit grabs and heads south for the fender.

Ordered mine from Utopia two weeks ago for my 03 Midnight Venture. Ship date is May 26. Looking forward to it. Back takes a beating after a while. I'll put up a pic and review when I get it on.

Update: Ship date 5/26, received 5/27. Nice. The instructions say 5 mins, it took 10 :)

Great unit. Lots of adjustability and feels very stable. Very much recommended.

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/Sh2_-PH3NeI/AAAAAAAAB9c/hGxMlSTCfas/s512/P5270281.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/Sh2_-cy-h0I/AAAAAAAAB9g/fJMqdyOk0_k/s512/P5270280.JPG

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/Sh2_-4bGlBI/AAAAAAAAB9k/Mdqp2KkJfrU/s512/P5270276.JPG

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/Sh2_99fwJGI/AAAAAAAAB9Y/7cb2tDsQd4Q/s512/P5270282.JPG

I put the Utopia on my bike and on my first test ride almost wrecked the bike turning into a 7-11. The end of the handlebar hit my knee. I'm 6'5 so the Utopia was pushing me forward just enough to allow this to happen. I got home and promptly took the Utopia off. Once I bought and installed some risers this fixed the problem allowing me to reinstall the Utopia. Now I can't ride without the backrest.

A friend bought a Venture with a Utopia backrest and it was pushing him forward also. We put a piece od cardboard on the ground, took the Utopia off, took the Utopia apart, put the mounting part on the cardboard so the the bend stuck up in the air, put an old rag on the bend and commenced to hi the top of the bend with a 3 lb hammer. Problem solved. He's happy now and the Utopia is not pushing him forward.:hihi:

Edited by YamaDuck

The Utopia IS adjustable. Up and down, and forward and backwards. Turning a screw is easier than pounding with a hammer...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

There is only so much adjustment built into a Utopia. The one I have was hitting me to high up in the back and I just turned it upside down and mine is just fine. My friend however turned his upside down and adjusted it out and still didn't like it so that is where the hammer came in.:smash2::rasberry:

The Utopia IS adjustable. Up and down, and forward and backwards. Turning a screw is easier than pounding with a hammer...:whistling::whistling::whistling:

I can see that problem. The adjustments are up and down yes, but the forward and back adjustment is really only changing the angle of the backrest around a stationery point. The position of bracket is stationery and even with the adjustment screw all the way out and the backrest leaning all the way back towards the rear of the bike, the bottom of the it is still pretty much in the same spot.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_9EMyKcng_yA/Sh5xDAhMYmI/AAAAAAAAB-0/SlMhvlocUIk/s512/P5270279.JPG

YamaDuck: by whacking the bracket and opening the angle of it, didnt you wind up pushing the top part, the point where the backrest connects to the bracket too far into the rear seat?

STILL, an awesome product!

Edited by ablumny

If you look at the bracket you have enough space

to add some holes,. I added one lower to bring

it down more. if you get creative you could even

move it up higher. I wanted more lower back support

myself.

Jeff