IGNORED

Oil types which one to use?

YamaDuck

Yeah for you FLB! YES, CAT and JD use OIL in the transfer cases, and your right, our little trannys will last a L-O-N-G time with GOOD oil ,,,just to add a bit,,moly does not adhere to FIBER! (clutch plates). I've NEVER had a clutch slip till it was WORN OUT!

Respects still

Renne

Time to quit, but,,,being USAF retired and knowing this, if what I use is good enough for the tail rotor gearbox on UH1N's for us and the Army, it's good enough for my scooter! HA!

This was fun , we all have our fav's,,,besides, Grandpa used it didn't he?

Renne

• 3 months later...

has anybody used amsoil syn. diesel oil?? 15-40 , i found some at local farm store for $28.00 a gal. i normally use amsoil cycle 20-50 but had to use lucas 20-50 and do not like it, rough shift ect.... ant thoughts on the amsoil diesel????

:think: When you talk about Rotella oil are you talking about car oil or a motorcycle blend? I just got a DRZ400S and someone said put Rotella in it. As for my Venture it has had 32k miles on Castrol HD 40 with no problems.

If someone mentions Rotella they are talking about oil marketed for diesel engines... and a lot of us use it because it works so well in our bikes... and cars. :-)

Shell markets Rotella and the Rotella brand is only marketed as a "Diesel" oil. You can get Rotella in dino 15w40 or 5w40 Synthetic. I tried the 5w40 but it seemed a little thin for Mississippi in the summer so I went to the 15w40. No problems.

I've been told by mechanics that you can go back and forth with no problems. You can mix them too.

Here is some info I found out there on websites of oil manufacturers...

http://www.mobiloil.com/usa-english/motoroil/synthetics/synthetic_oils_faqs.aspx

http://www.valvoline.com/faqs/motor-oil/full-synthetic-motor-oil/

http://www.castrol.com/castrol/genericarticle.do?categoryId=9014502&contentId=7017050

Rich

Thank you, that was the best information in the thread. Answered alott of questions for me.

~Art

According to the original owner, a retired Yami engineer, Yamalube semi synth 5w40 since 1999. Scoot just turned 45K, runs and shifts like new, and I now go 6K to 8K between change outs, and only change the final drive lube every other oil change. I'll never use another kind of oil. It it ain't broke....... :fingers-crossed-emo

I just changed the oil after 6,000 miles, and I was shocked at how clean this used oil looks compared to any other oil I have ever used. It still has that golden hue to it. I think I could have easily gone another 2K to 3K before a change-out.

Just thought I'd mention it.

I use mobil 1 4T motorcycle racing 10-40 in my 2004, change every 5000 miles.

My bike does not chrip or whine. I have been using mobil in my bikes for years and have never had a problems with it.

Use royal purple in the wife's road star, but that's what the previous owner said works well in it, and on folks on the road star site agree.

Gregg

This is a controversial subject and there is no one right answer. There are tons of testamonials for every brand mentioned and more. I believe the bottom line is regular oil changes with ANY brand will give pretty good results!

I use Mobile 1 synthetic in all my bikes and just switched my Toyota FJ over to Mobile 1 at 10K miles. (I run Rotella non synthetic in my F250 diesel) I have also used the Mobile 1 4T and V-Twin and I believe they are great oils, but they charge a premium for them and I can't always find them everywhere I go. I like running an oil that I can find at any Wally World since there are about 5 in every town I can always find my oil in a pinch. I do change my synthetic oil at short intervals, but that is my choice and I KNOW they would go longer, it's just my choice.

I would have no problem running Rotella synthetic or non-synthetic oil in any of my bikes and have done so in the past. The only issue I have with Rotella Synthetic is it's a 5W and in many cases I want a 15W or a 20W since I will tend to run the viscosity that is recommended by the manufacturer. A lot of people prefer (and oil analysis supports) the HD diesel oils since they maintain viscosity well, have great additive packs (something no one has mentioned), and are excellent at keeping the motor clean and holding the "junk" in suspension until it can be removed from the motor at the next oil change. If Rotella synthetic came in other weights it would be my oil of choice. As it is, I'm about ready to just start running the Rotella T (non-synthetic) in all the bikes. It gets great UOA results in almost every (motorcycle) application and at $9 a gallon I could change more often than the M1 for the same $$$. Maybe more frequent oil changes would be betther than running the synthetic?

I have never sent my used oils to a lab for a UOA (used oil analysis), but if you really want to get serious about how a specific oil is performing in your vehicle, you should get a UOA done. I have spent hours reading posts from others who have had oil analyzed and posted their UOA results. If you want to do the same here is a good web site to check out. You may be surprised at some of the results.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Under Forums there is a motorcycle specific forum.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=49&page=1

With that I'll close by saying that everything I say is my OPINION and may differ from yours, but that's OK. YMMV

Edited by GaThumper

I burn Rotella T 15W40 and use a Purolator PureOne PL14610 oil filter.

I now run John Deere GL5 80W90 in the final drive because I pick it up from work for free in left over partial bottles. I was running Mobil 1 75W90 because I picked it up from my previous employer for free from leftovers.

I change the gear lube at every oil change. It only holds 6oz of oil. That's 3/4 of a cup. That's 5 gear oil changes in 1 qt of gear lube.

I don't like clean oil at when I drain it. That means the oil is not suspending the contaminants like it should be. Oil should be dark when it is drained from an engine. If it looks like you could pour it right back in, then it's not doing it's job.

I do believe this is an issue that could be debated until the end of time and never get it resolved. :confused24: Since we all seem to be searching for answers, it would seem that everyone involved in this debate is concerned with doing the best that we can for our bikes.

I truly believe that the majority of us already doing the best that we can. The most important part of this debate is to use good quality products along with a regular preventative maintance program. From what I have read in these posts, this is being done in spades. :clap2: :clap2:

Having wrenched on something for the majority of my life, I don't believe that the brand of oil is as important as using the proper type of oil for the application. I've run Yamalube in mine since it was new. After 63K miles and 5 years I will be switching to Rotella oil for my services. I believe Shell makes a good product and the oil is fitting for the application. Since it gets changed frequently I feel that this will give my ride many more years of service. If I am wrong, I will be sure to cry about it... VERY LOUDLY...LOL:whistling:

:080402gudl_prv: to everyone with whatever it is that you are using.

I have ridden a 1984 Gold Wing since I bought it new in the fall of 84 and a few years ago I switched on the advice of my mechanic to 20/50 Castrol S. It worked very well and the bike did run a little quieter.

A few weeks ago I purchased a 01 RSV and the dealer recommended that I stay with the Yamaha 20 50.

I asked about s oil and he said not necessary with only 77,000k on it (47,740 mi to you yanks).

So I will take his advice and stay with it.

All kind of options out there; I am now riding in 5 degree C. weather in the mornings and all is well; but a terrible riding season with lots of cold weather and rain up here in Manitoba.

By the way, this is a great bike; hard to part with the Wing after all these years but this is one good ride and Yamaha is to be commended for it.

Never thought I would say that.