IGNORED

Finally Changed the tire!

Finally changed the E3 on the rear of my bike. I think I could have went a couple thousand more miles after inspecting it. I will have to say this is the best tire I have ever removed from my bike.

Total over 2 1/2 years or so 26,989 Miles.

First picture is of a tire I typically take off a bike and the rest are of the new E3 and the old E3.

The one I took off had two small nicks/cuts in it. One had been there for at least two years and there was also a piece of glass in another spot about the size of a quarter carrot diamond.

BOO

That is one sweet looking ride in your last pic. what is it a tryke sidecar combo. ?

I finally got around to putting on my CT today and will replace the front tire tomorrow with a 130 HD rear tire.

Kinda of a pain getting the tire on the rim inflated but got it after a shot of ether.

The mets 880 I took off could have gone a few thousand miles more but I got tired of waiting for it to wear out. 15,000 miles on it and still looked good.

He Boo, what did you do...have that bike on its center stand the whole time?

Dang, that is a lot of miles for a rear bike tire.

Must say I'm impressed, because I have never seen that many miles on a rear bike tire.

Looks like you could get a few thousand more out of it too......

Wow, thats is real good mileage for a rear tire. I've been holding off going to the Elite 3s, but after that I may switch next time..... The Elite 2s are getting harder to find. Thanks for the pics.

:thumbsup2:

That is one sweet looking ride in your last pic. what is it a tryke sidecar combo. ?

It was a Hannigan sidecar, tricar I think it is called ( the wheel on the side car is on the same axle as the bike) and there is a matching trailer parked in front of the bike, it also had a Hanningan emblem on it. It also had a ton of chrome on it. Was at Litchfield, Il.

He Boo, what did you do...have that bike on its center stand the whole time?

Dang, that is a lot of miles for a rear bike tire.

Must say I'm impressed, because I have never seen that many miles on a rear bike tire.

Looks like you could get a few thousand more out of it too......

Yeah I kind of hated to have it changed with all that rubber left on it.

looks like you get every mile out of them things Boo, you coming to Dons

No, not going to be able to make that one. Going to have to get out that way one of these days. I may just show up in Michigan at one of the M/E.

Dang man cant even see the cord yet..........

The white cord is just the wear indicator isn't it. Ran a few like that.

Wow, thats is real good mileage for a rear tire. I've been holding off going to the Elite 3s, but after that I may switch next time..... The Elite 2s are getting harder to find. Thanks for the pics.

I had heard they quit making the E2 but I see there are still some around. I really like the E3. Still running a E2 on the front and have about 14,000 on that tire.

The most I have ever got out of a rear tire was 5,600 miles and the cord was hanging out.

Yeah but I ride like an old man,,, oh wait a minute I am an old man......

Dang!! 26k!!!

I thought I did great with my Metzeler ME880's. I got about 10k out of 'em

I usually get about 12 to 15,000 out of a rear tire (see answer to Dan) One thing I don't do though is use very much back brake and I use the gears to slow the bike down. Whether that helps the mileage or not I don't know but I usually get good mileage out of tires.

Now the first Venture I had, an 84, the rear tire didn't make it to 7,000 miles:big-grin-emoticon:

I just couldn't keep my hand from twisting that dang throttle. I don't remember what brand of tire that was but it wouldn't have mattered anyway:rotfl::rotfl:

BOO

:thumbsup2:

It was a Hannigan sidecar, tricar I think it is called ( the wheel on the side car is on the same axle as the bike) and there is a matching trailer parked in front of the bike, it also had a Hanningan emblem on it. It also had a ton of chrome on it. Was at Litchfield, Il.

Yeah I kind of hated to have it changed with all that rubber left on it.

No, not going to be able to make that one. Going to have to get out that way one of these days. I may just show up in Michigan at one of the M/E.

The white cord is just the wear indicator isn't it. Ran a few like that.

I had heard they quit making the E2 but I see there are still some around. I really like the E3. Still running a E2 on the front and have about 14,000 on that tire.

Yeah but I ride like an old man,,, oh wait a minute I am an old man......

I usually get about 12 to 15,000 out of a rear tire (see answer to Dan) One thing I don't do though is use very much back brake and I use the gears to slow the bike down. Whether that helps the mileage or not I don't know but I usually get good mileage out of tires.

Now the first Venture I had, an 84, the rear tire didn't make it to 7,000 miles:big-grin-emoticon:

I just couldn't keep my hand from twisting that dang throttle. I don't remember what brand of tire that was but it wouldn't have mattered anyway:rotfl::rotfl:

BOO

Just trying to keep up with that State Trooper!!

"UGLY" ain't skeered!!

Dang!! 26k!!!

I thought I did great with my Metzeler ME880's. I got about 10k out of 'em

I run ME880s on my 1100 VStar and got 25,000 miles (40,000 kms) out of the rear tire and more on the front tire before having to replace the punctured rear tire.. the 2nd Gen Venture is running E3s and I'm past the 15,000 (24,000 kms) miles mark with tons of tread still left on the tires..

the whole trick behind it is tire pressure.. an old mechanic taught me the trick that the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is based on a 160 lbs rider.. and erhm I'm not that.. especially when wearing leathers and helmet and occasional passenger.

He taught me a trick to roughly gauge your best operational pressure by 'temperature' as a guideline.. Basically at noon, take a run up the highway ay 60 mph for a while and pull over real quick, get off the bike and feel the temp of your tire compared to the hot pavement.. if your tire is hotter than the pavement, then your pressures are too low, due to tire flex and friction producing heat.. Adjust your pressures a little at a time until the temps cool down.. this is a tedious process to say the least and not scientific but it brings you closer to that ideal pressure than going by the manufacturer's recommendation.

I can say that this process works for me because two of my buddies, who share the same size and weight as I do, ran their same tires (same VStars) at the recommended pressures and got a lot less life out of them..

Currently I run my E3s at 42 in the rear tire and 40 in the front and after 15,000 miles on them they barely show any wear.. and I ride a lot and in various road conditions..

This is what works for me, your mileage and tire life may vary ;)

Awesome mileage really...26K is hard to beat. The most mileage I got on a rear tire is 16K and that was too close for comfort. If only I can change a moto tire on the side of the road then I just might run my rear tire close to bald.

E3's sounds like a good tire. Ride safe

I run ME880s on my 1100 VStar and got 25,000 miles (40,000 kms) out of the rear tire and more on the front tire before having to replace the punctured rear tire.. the 2nd Gen Venture is running E3s and I'm past the 15,000 (24,000 kms) miles mark with tons of tread still left on the tires..

the whole trick behind it is tire pressure.. an old mechanic taught me the trick that the manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is based on a 160 lbs rider.. and erhm I'm not that.. especially when wearing leathers and helmet and occasional passenger.

He taught me a trick to roughly gauge your best operational pressure by 'temperature' as a guideline.. Basically at noon, take a run up the highway ay 60 mph for a while and pull over real quick, get off the bike and feel the temp of your tire compared to the hot pavement.. if your tire is hotter than the pavement, then your pressures are too low, due to tire flex and friction producing heat.. Adjust your pressures a little at a time until the temps cool down.. this is a tedious process to say the least and not scientific but it brings you closer to that ideal pressure than going by the manufacturer's recommendation.

I can say that this process works for me because two of my buddies, who share the same size and weight as I do, ran their same tires (same VStars) at the recommended pressures and got a lot less life out of them..

Currently I run my E3s at 42 in the rear tire and 40 in the front and after 15,000 miles on them they barely show any wear.. and I ride a lot and in various road conditions..

This is what works for me, your mileage and tire life may vary ;)

I guess my mileage is not as good as I thought!! Great tip, I'll pay attention to that from now on.:thumbsup2:

Sounds like good information. I do run the pressure at max as stated on the side wall of the tire and I KNOW you don't want to run a tire to low because of heat build up so I just use the sidewall pressure and it seems to be just fine.

BOO

All D-404 buyers, take notice !!!! The E-3's are well worth the extra few bucks they cost !!

And, the caseings are 1/2 inch thick !!

There's a reason a lot of new bikes are sold with D 404 installed.. only because they are plentiful and CHEAP.. not because they're any good.. gah, my VStar 404's only lasted 13,000 KMS.. ugh lol

E3s are worth the bucks.. especially when you can find them cheap! It's worth my while to ride 2.5 hours out of the city to another city where I have them bought and installed at a cheaper rate than anywhere in this city, by a large margin.. .. And that's including cost of gas, meal, and installation.. Not bad eh?

I learned my lesson about letting my tire wear a bit too much. Dodge that bullet big time. I was supposed to get on the interstate in stead took some slow roads...thank God. I had two guardian angels quit that day.

Pretty lucky.

I see that's a 491 Dunlop, don't believe I ever saw one chunk out like that. Now that tire is dangerous.

Why did you happen to look at the tire? Was it making funny noises or did you hear/feel the piece come out?

Actually I don't believe that happen because of tire wear.

BOO

Sounds like good information. I do run the pressure at max as stated on the side wall of the tire and I KNOW you don't want to run a tire to low because of heat build up so I just use the sidewall pressure and it seems to be just fine.

BOO

And you live in Illinois. Alot less curves to wear the tires:rasberry:

• 3 weeks later...
Pretty lucky.

I see that's a 491 Dunlop, don't believe I ever saw one chunk out like that. Now that tire is dangerous.

Why did you happen to look at the tire? Was it making funny noises or did you hear/feel the piece come out?

Actually I don't believe that happen because of tire wear.

BOO

yeah Boo I found a small cut near the chunk that started it all. I heard it while crossing a bridge in the echo of the flapping. I was surely blessed that day to have not gone up on the freeway with it.

• 8 months later...

Well guys the rear tire I changed a back in June of 2009 developed a crack in the center about an inch long. I called Chaparrell Motorsports where I bought it and they said I needed to buy a new tire. I told them this tire only had a about 4000 miles on it and I wanted to know what the warranty was on a Kenda Kruz tire....they said nothing buy a new tire. I told them that was a heck of a way to do business and they hung up on me. The good news is...I took the same pics I emailed Chaparrel Motorsports and emailed them to Kenda Kruz tires. They had their engineer look at them and agreed it should not have happened and shipped me a brand new tire. These folks at Kenda Kruz were great... cant say enough for the... the folks at Chaparrel Motorsports? Yeah I cant say enough about them either now. I love my Kenda Kruz tires. I will just have to find someone else to buy them from.

A friend of mine has a '06 RSTD. He put an Avon on the back and got 26,000 miles on it. I had never heard of anyone getting that milage before until now. Of course he does weigh that much. Also he does not take off fast from a stop.

tew47