I just ordered some of the Polk 401's myself, but be warned.. they have been discontinued, so you may be waiting for a while on backorders.... I'm looking for a place that has a set in stock so I can order a second pair. (at a decent price)

I have Polk DB401's in my Venture. They are marine grade so you have to worry about them getting wet.

I installed the Polk DB401's in my 06 Venture last year and to be honest, I didn't see or hear the improvement.. If anything, the audio level went down a wee tad. Great speakers but not as loud as the OEM.. The Polks are still in the bike, they work ok but I was expecting better to be honest..

Playing tunes from my iPod Nano, I can bring the volume up to 21 before hearing distortion while the OEMs I could bring the volume up to 23 or 24 for the same song before hearing distortion..

Other people say they hear the improvement, others don't..

Your mileage may vary..

Cheers M8

I installed the Polk DB401's in my 06 Venture last year and to be honest, I didn't see or hear the improvement.. If anything, the audio level went down a wee tad. Great speakers but not as loud as the OEM.. The Polks are still in the bike, they work ok but I was expecting better to be honest..

Playing tunes from my iPod Nano, I can bring the volume up to 21 before hearing distortion while the OEMs I could bring the volume up to 23 or 24 for the same song before hearing distortion..

Other people say they hear the improvement, others don't..

Your mileage may vary..

Cheers M8

Very interesting.. does anyone know the brand of the OEM speakers or the efficiency rating of the OEM speakers?

I replaced mine with Polk db401's. I got one pair off ebay for $56.95 with free shipping and I got the other pair off ebay for $41.95 with free shipping. You just have to keep checking ebay until you find a deal. My 401's sound a lot better than my stock speakers of course my bike is a 2000 model so the speakers were getting old. The Clarion's are 12 watt speakers but I don't know if that is RMS. the speakers just have that stamped on the back. The Polk's are 45 watt RMS and my radio does not have any problem powering the speakers. A friend has Polk db401's on his and he has no problem powering his. There is a member on one of the forums that said his Polk db401's were chirping and he put a small amp in his and it got rid of the chirp. Mine or my friends are not chirping so maybe he had a bad connection or something. Wal-Mart has a pair of 4" speakers for $30. I think it may be a store brand and I am not sure if they are marine speakers but it may be worth a try to you.:thumbsup2:

I installed the Polk Db401's front and rear about 4 months ago. Not any louder than stock IMHO, but definitely better sound quality. With stock I could go to about 24 maybe 25 before the speakers would basically "bottom out". I can now go a full 30 with the Polks. I like them over stock. I got all 4 speakers on Ebay for $80 and free shipping.

The problem isn't over powering the OEM or the Polk speakers. The problem is the amp clipping... You push an amp too far, and the signal starts to clip, and starts sending a lot of DC current into the speakers, hence distortion...

The reason I was asking about the efficiency rating is, because a speaker may take 45 watts peak, but they may only be rated at 89/w/m efficiency... which means with one watt, it will be 89db loud at 1 meter... SO.. it's possible for a higher rated peak wattage speaker to not play as loud as a speaker rated at 15 watts which has an efficiency rating of 94/w/m

I'm not so much after loudness, as I am after a better sounding speaker which is why I wanted to try the Polks.. If I want louder, I know I'm going to have to add an amp..

The problem isn't over powering the OEM or the Polk speakers. The problem is the amp clipping... You push an amp too far, and the signal starts to clip, and starts sending a lot of DC current into the speakers, hence distortion...

The reason I was asking about the efficiency rating is, because a speaker may take 45 watts peak, but they may only be rated at 89/w/m efficiency... which means with one watt, it will be 89db loud at 1 meter... SO.. it's possible for a higher rated peak wattage speaker to not play as loud as a speaker rated at 15 watts which has an efficiency rating of 94/w/m

I'm not so much after loudness, as I am after a better sounding speaker which is why I wanted to try the Polks.. If I want louder, I know I'm going to have to add an amp..

I'm sure you know what you want because that all sounds Greek to me. I just know the Polk sound better to me than my original speakers. I can't tell if they are any louder or as loud as they are so close to the originals in volume they are just clearer especially at the higher volumes above 24 on the radio dial. It may have something to do with the Polk having two cones instead of one like the Clarion. I do know I have no problem hearing the radio but when play the MP3 or IPOD players the recorded volume is lower than the radio volume so I just put a Radio Shack battery powered amp in my MP3/IPOD circut and it is pleanty load.

i have 401 polks also. i know it sounds better and i can turn it up louder but i did have a blown stock speaker. i also installed base blockers and boom mats on all 4. the install was very easy and it was worth it to me. i wish i did it sooner. i know on certain songs off of my mp3 i can turn it up to 24 to 26 with no distortion. i can hear it doing 80-85 with barron 4-2-4 s with no packing.i know the boom mats help direct the sound to me and the bass blockers really take out the low frequences that make speakers distort.

i have 401 polks also. i know it sounds better and i can turn it up louder but i did have a blown stock speaker. i also installed base blockers and boom mats on all 4. the install was very easy and it was worth it to me. i wish i did it sooner. i know on certain songs off of my mp3 i can turn it up to 24 to 26 with no distortion. i can hear it doing 80-85 with barron 4-2-4 s with no packing.i know the boom mats help direct the sound to me and the bass blockers really take out the low frequences that make speakers distort.

What are boom mats? Is that the box you can put around you speakers? :puzzled:

I'm sure you know what you want because that all sounds Greek to me. I just know the Polk sound better to me than my original speakers. I can't tell if they are any louder or as loud as they are so close to the originals in volume they are just clearer especially at the higher volumes above 24 on the radio dial. It may have something to do with the Polk having two cones instead of one like the Clarion. I do know I have no problem hearing the radio but when play the MP3 or IPOD players the recorded volume is lower than the radio volume so I just put a Radio Shack battery powered amp in my MP3/IPOD circut and it is pleanty load.

Same thing with me.. I use a Storm with Pandora and it wasn't hardly loud enough so I got one of those ratshack battery amps too..

Seaking, Take a couple songs and turn them into a higher bit rate

lets say 256 or 320 and then try it., you will notice a difference.

just my 2 cents worth.

YamaDuck, boom mats deflect the sound toward you,

so the music does not fall into the fairing losing the

sound. (make since?) I use them myself.

they mount behind the speaker.

Jeff

Seaking, Take a couple songs and turn them into a higher bit rate

lets say 256 or 320 and then try it., you will notice a difference.

just my 2 cents worth.

YamaDuck, boom mats deflect the sound toward you,

so the music does not fall into the fairing losing the

sound. (make since?) I use them myself.

they mount behind the speaker.

Jeff

Hi Cougar, I rip my own music from my CD collections and they are ripped at 192 or higher.. after that level it should not make any difference in quality.. (from what I've read) but I'll try a couple of songs and see if it holds true on this system..

I went on eBay and found 4" boom mats and yeah good luck, they sell like for $10US with $23 shipping.. (ha!) However, Crutchfield Canada sells them for under $10 CDN and much cheaper shipping.. But they are listing various depth..

Is the 4" x 2-5/8" depth version deep enough for the Polk;s 1-7/8 size? The only other one they list is 4" x 3-7/8" depth

In the US these are called Boom Mats, in Canada they are called Speaker Baffles lol..

Thanks for the insight info.. much appreciated..

Edited by Seaking
search & found info

Actually.. theese Baffles (never heard them called boom mats) are not for redirecting sound. There is no way for the waves being produced behind the cone to physically get in front of the cone...

What these baffles do is load the driver. It actually alters the cone movement, and allows more bass to be produced.