IGNORED

leaning side car

barend

I'm just being curious here. From some of the pics you guys have posted i gather that the sidecar hook-up consist of a triangular framework with a rigid mounted seat box. That being the case, how does the mounting frame look of a sidecar that leans with the bike? Or does it not need the third brace due to the fact that the car itself leans as well?

Like I said, just curious!

We have someone who comes to our rally who has a leaning sidecar. I might have pictures somewhere, but I'd have to look.

Google turns up a wide range of hits on 'leaning sidecars', for example:

Armec products: http://02a2379.netsolhost.com/sidewinder.html

Something historical: http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2008/01/02/flexible-tilting-sidecars/

And the Flexit, which I think is what our visitor has: http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/flexit.htm

Having said this, though, they're pretty unusual even among a minority interest.

In the 1980s there was also an awful strap-on arrangement called a 'sidewinder' made to take advantage of a gap in the learner laws, but the less said about those the better.

the hanigan sidecar setup has an electric trim motor that leans the angle of the sidecar wheel to adjust pulls and variable road and wind conditions.

the flexit sidecar does allow the bike and the sidecar to both lean.

mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well, bought me a sidecar, it'll get here towards the end of the month, so I'll post pics then, Meantime I can contemplate how to mount this thing; be interested in any pics you guys might share on the mounting points and brackets for a 1st Gen. I realize each sidecar is probably unique in its attachment but it'll give me a reference.

Thanks!!

Hard to say, my bike is on the right side, the sidecar is next to it in the conventional place. Righting wrongs has always been the prerogative of knights errant who were once much more common on this side of the pond than they ever were than yours, notwithstanding one particular Connecticut Yankee.

How could right be wrong ? That sounds like a reference to far eastern mysticism - be careful - you might not be old enough to remember the congress commission on unamerican activities - you'll have to check across the Water Margin for that one.

:nanner:

I have a side car body for sale. No frame work or tire.

If interested, send me your email address, and I will send you photos.:confused24:

whats that look like it may make an interesting trailer body

whats that look like it may make an interesting trailer body

Thanks Eck, not interested though!

That list of trailer manufacturers that was posted a couple of weeks ago had a dutch (?)company on there (think the word Holland was in the name), makes trailers with what are essentially sidecar bodies. Definitely different.

Greg, (in London)

Looks like you modified a passenger mounting plate to attch your rear fram to, correct? Is it bolted to the frame or did you fabricate a attachment bracket?

The picture of the front is pretty bloody dark!! I'm guessing you attached it where the engine crash guard used to be? and the upper looks to be where the horn bracket was mounted? Again, bolted on, or a custom bracket for the upper arm. did you create a subframe for the lower front, or is it strictly one sided (left) did you weld this as well or use existing mounting bolts. If it can be made strong enough, I'd be tempted to create a subframe or mounting harness which bolts onto the frame on the same points where the engine crash guards and horn mounts are. Possible even include the radiator mounting points, but haven't had time to look into that yet. Won't have my car till later in the month though, the first shipper justcancelled the quote due to traffic violations !! In other words: just as well!! I'll keep y'all posted.

btw, how many folks on here ride a combo?

Looks like you modified a passenger mounting plate to attch your rear fram to, correct? Is it bolted to the frame or did you fabricate a attachment bracket?

Not quite sure what you mean. I removed the aluminium footrest plate and cut a steel plate to a similar size and then welded on eyebolt heads, plus a mount for the footrest. As it was mild steel it was all straightforward.

The picture of the front is pretty bloody dark!! I'm guessing you attached it where the engine crash guard used to be?

I need to look to check. I made a plate to spread the load, but it doesn't really do much. I used a female eyebolt to attach to a bolt coming through from behind the frame bar.

and the upper looks to be where the horn bracket was mounted? Again, bolted on, or a custom bracket for the upper arm.

I just found an accessible section of frame. The horn is still on the mount it came on. I used another piece of plate, drilled a hole at each corner and used two exhaust clamps to attach to the frame. The eyebolt head was again welded to the plate. Ask me again if that doesn't make sense.

did you create a subframe for the lower front, or is it strictly one sided (left) did you weld this as well or use existing mounting bolts. If it can be made strong enough, I'd be tempted to create a subframe or mounting harness which bolts onto the frame on the same points where the engine crash guards and horn mounts are.

I wouldn't argue with anyone that says a sub-frame is a better solution. I didn't use one, though and I've had no trouble in 8-9 years and 30,000 miles of heavy use.

Possible even include the radiator mounting points, but haven't had time to look into that yet. Won't have my car till later in the month though, the first shipper justcancelled the quote due to traffic violations !! In other words: just as well!! I'll keep y'all posted.

Good luck - hope the above helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Rather then starting another thread I figure I use this one to update and ask for advise/suggestions. Although the sidecar has not arrived here yet, I posted some pictures (pre-shipping/crating) in my albums. I'll be adding to this as things progress. Meanwhile the discussion on mounting continues and I am looking at wiring. Greg, your pictures confirmed my thoughts on mounting points, thanks! Any thoughts and suggestions would be appreciated. I'll keep you posted.

Out of curiosity, how many sidecarists are there on VR.org?

Guest tx2sturgis

That list of trailer manufacturers that was posted a couple of weeks ago had a dutch (?)company on there (think the word Holland was in the name), makes trailers with what are essentially sidecar bodies. Definitely different.

Small world. This is the URL for the website, Dutchmans Overland Trailers. His name is Mickey Hollars, and he lives in Amarillo, just north of me. He USED to live right here in Plainview, Texas. He manufactures a couple different trailers, and also custom builds VW style trikes.

http://www.dutchmans.com/

http://www.dutchmans.com/images/White_both_3.jpg

• 1 month later...

Well, here she is. :banana: Took a while but we made it. There are some more pics :photographing:in my gallery. Now to disassemble clean, paint/powedercoat and attach. :hurts:

This is a third generation Equalean. it was actually build by Mark Jamison after the Wallicks disappeared from the scene (he worked for them). Mark incorporated some changes, hence the "third generation". I'd say, "feel free to ask anything you want to know" but I've got to do some studying myself:doh:, I'll answer what I can. Assuming anyone's got questions. :cool10:

Out of curiosity, how many sidecarists are there on VR.org? (quote)

Rooster1 and SteveW come to mind. There's probably a few more but certainly not many.

Larry

Count me as one I have a 1980 XS1100 in touring mode pulling a 85 Velorex 700

Well, here she is. :banana: Took a while but we made it. There are some more pics :photographing:in my gallery. Now to disassemble clean, paint/powedercoat and attach. :hurts:

This is a third generation Equalean. it was actually build by Mark Jamison after the Wallicks disappeared from the scene (he worked for them). Mark incorporated some changes, hence the "third generation". I'd say, "feel free to ask anything you want to know" but I've got to do some studying myself:doh:, I'll answer what I can. Assuming anyone's got questions. :cool10:

wow Barend you got a great sidecar. I've only seen one like it up at Americade 10 years ago. It was attached to a Honda CBX 6cylinder. It was painted to match the bikre in Black silver and red.Its one of only two models of leaning sidecar i've seen on the market. Theres a grteat quarterly magazine called Hack'd out of Virginia that is a wealth of good information and mounting electrical and how to ride a rig. Its an invaluable source of information to a new rig riders.Theres a lot to learn. because you've purchase a leaning car it will be easier than a standard mount car but theres still so much to know.

I have a standard mount that rides more like a snowmobile because you need more body english to get around a corner. But they are still a ball to ride.I've had mine 12 years and still get a kick out of it.

Welcome to the club we're a small but dedicated part of motorcycling. Non ridiers love us , kids point , people smile,other motorcyclist will look at you like you're a strange beast at times' but thats okay.

added two naked pics. Removed the frame from the shell so I can clean/paint/powder coat it and get an axle for the wheel. Thinking about changing to air shocks as well. Still need to pull the liner(carpeting) from the body, It smells foul!! suppose I could paint after that, but still need to modify the mounting hardware. Still, as easy as it is to drop the frame in the shell that might be an option

Oh, Steve, if I would go for the quick and dirty i could have it up and running by Vogel:sun:. Ain't gonna happen:no-no-no: haven't even looked at POA for the bike!:o