IGNORED

Bike Hauler

Hummingbird

Guys - This year we want to go to the Grand Canyon in our Z71 and pull our Travel trailer. Problem is, I also want to take the Venture. The only way I see I can do it is by using this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motorcycle-Trailer-Lift-Hauler-Carrier-Mighty-Hauler_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1171Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1308Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a2Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem3ef4148b42QQitemZ270382959426QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1624wt_385 or one like it. I'm told by the mfg. that my hitch needs to be a class 4, I have a Chevy factory hitch and it's most likely a class 3. I don't mind buying a new hitch but was wondering if anybody here has had to deal with this situation.

Thanks for any HELP

I don't think I would trust it and diffently not for a 1/2 ton, Besides for 1000 dollars you can buy a heck of a trailer

I already have a travel trailer that I want to take, that's why I need to figure a way to take the Venture.

That looks like an interesting setup. I would make sure I followed all the manufacturers recommendations. Tongue weight would be my big concern. Other than that I don't see why it would not work. Good luck Rod

I don't think I would trust it and diffently not for a 1/2 ton, Besides for 1000 dollars you can buy a heck of a trailer

I agree. That would also be a wide load depending on what you are carrying. Driving down the road over some pot holes, with the amount of weight/leverage, makes me I wonder what the shock load rating is? Interesting design.

Just my thoughts.

I have seen those carriers used on ght back of motorhomes. I would think if you were going to go with something like that, it should be mounted on the rear of the trailer and the trailer equiped with an equalizer hitch, then load the trailer as tongue heavy as you could. Personally, I would not use that set up, but...

I am guessing that your Chevy is a short bed? Otherwise, put the Venture in the truck.

For the price, I would think a better option would be a small utility trailer pulled behind the camper; HOWEVER, some states do not allow pulling double unless the front trailer is fifth wheel.

some REALLY interesting thoughts have come alive.

FREEBIRD - I don't mind spending $1000 for a one time trip but the bed loading outfit is WAY outta price for me. ( I'm a cheapskate at heart).

A friend has already offered the use of his 16 foot enclosed that is set up for hauling his RSTD and he has it set up for storage etc. I think we can get a couple cots and things needed for camping. Already have a lot of it anyway. I'm just trying to make it as comfortable for wifey as I can.

From what I see so far, it makes more sense to use his trailer and camp when I want and stay at motels when it's nasty weather. The money not spent for the hitch will go a long way towards motel rooms.

Guest Oldsalt

The question nagging at the back of my retired brain is: Isn't mounting something on the back of a vehicle that blocks the license plate going to run afoul of most LEOs?

oldsalt

My friend has one of the Swivelifts that he hauls his Harley with, It doesn't add but about 150 lbs to the rear of your traveltrailer with the wheel and everything. he says he doesn't even know it is back there. He has the one that the bike sits sideways along the rear bumper

Guest tx2sturgis
The question nagging at the back of my retired brain is: Isn't mounting something on the back of a vehicle that blocks the license plate going to run afoul of most LEOs?

oldsalt

Not a big deal to hang the license plate on the hauler.

Guest tx2sturgis
My friend has one of the Swivelifts that he hauls his Harley with, It doesn't add but about 150 lbs to the rear of your traveltrailer with the wheel and everything. he says he doesn't even know it is back there. He has the one that the bike sits sideways along the rear bumper

150 pounds? Where did the other 500-600 pounds disappear to?

Guest tx2sturgis
Guys - This year we want to go to the Grand Canyon in our Z71 and pull our Travel trailer. Problem is, I also want to take the Venture. The only way I see I can do it is by using this ..(hauler) ... or one like it. I'm told by the mfg. that my hitch needs to be a class 4, I have a Chevy factory hitch and it's most likely a class 3. I don't mind buying a new hitch but was wondering if anybody here has had to deal with this situation.

Thanks for any HELP

I'm on the side that wouldnt want all that weight on the hitch...the bike AND the trailer tongue. It may end up causing too much lift on the front axle.

You could look at those heavy duty ramps, which will run a few to several hundred bucks, and back your pickup down an incline, or up to a curb, and with some help, or good balance, you can load it into the pickup. I've done this in the past. It helps immensely if you can get the ramp as level as possible.

Heres one, or you can google 'motorcycle loading ramps' and get lots of ideas.

http://www.usaramp.com/products/saferamps.shtml#a9 (look at the A9)

Edited by tx2sturgis

Not having any idea what kind or size of camper you have.............

In the pics they show a small utility trailer off the back of the bike lift, I could see that.

BUT, You are looking at putting 1,000 lbs on your receiver hitch, (860 lbs wet weight for a venture + at least 140 or so for the lift). Then you want to add another 400 or so lbs of tongue weight for the camper and that weight will be cantilevered about 5 feet back from the receiver.

The extended receiver is not connected to the same part that is connected to the truck, the new receiver is on the bottom of the lift so all of your tongue weight must be added to the bike weight in that 1000 max weight.

I think you would be happier hanging your bike on the back of the camper and then front load the camper to get the tongue weight back, making sure that you do not exceed the weight ratings of the camper.

Another good option would be to trade your camper in on a toy hauler camper, now you have a complete system designed specifically to do what you want to do and your bike will be indoors protected from weather and crime while traveling.

Not having any idea what kind or size of camper you have.............

Another good option would be to trade your camper in on a toy hauler camper, now you have a complete system designed specifically to do what you want to do and your bike will be indoors protected from weather and crime while traveling.

We had a toy hauler - didn't like it because it had a PULL down queen bed. Still had to climb a ladder to get into bed. not good for an old man !!