IGNORED

WOW !! Like Them Avon Venoms

Well just arrived home from a shorty trip of around 30 mile or so, on my new Avon Venoms (front and back). Man I really love these tires. Thanks to everyone for your help and replies about the tires.

I tried them out on the two lanes here (US 60) about 12 mile, and then hit the big road (I-64). Fastest ever had her since purchase, around 105 mph, SSSMMMMOOOOTTTHHH as silk. Very good tires.

The stalk Brickstones had 4000 miles on them, run back tire low on air for about 120 mile or so and it is almost completely worn out in center. I was having a knee problem (had to have surgery) and didn't relise the tire was that low, wanted to check but knee would not let me. I usually keep a good check on my tires. But I think it worked out best for me anyway. I really like those Venoms. Bike handles so much better at all speeds and conditions. Just got to get them skuffed in now. I did the complete tire change myself, with a little help from a friend and you all.

I did all the grease on splines and changed differintial grease for the second time, just because it was so handy. I took the tires on wheels to a shop and he computer balanced them for me for $15.00 a piece. The back tire, after removed the weights from factory, did not even have to have any weight, perfect. The front had to have just 3/4 once. I have a question for those that have changed there own tires. Do the Venoms have a paint mark to go by ? I could not find any kind of valve mark. And what about when it comes time to change again, just put back the same ? I love my Laran jack. once again , thanks to all. :cool10:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

The ones I've bought have a red dot on them....I think thats the heaviest part of the tire. You may find completely opposite the valve.

I know according to what shop you carry your tires to...you may get different answers...I have had folks tell me all kinds of stuff about the balance dot...but

I am sure the the dot should be at the valve stem...at least on the Dunlop tires. I have always changed my motocross tires..and we would put the dot next to the rim lock...which are heavier than the valve stem. The Dot indicates the lightest part of the tire

See this from the Dunlop website:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=16#tip

"All Dunlop street tires should be installed with the yellow balance dot at the valve"

:thumbsup:

I know according to what shop you carry your tires to...you may get different answers...I have had folks tell me all kinds of stuff about the balance dot...but

I am sure the the dot should be at the valve stem...at least on the Dunlop tires. I have always changed my motocross tires..and we would put the dot next to the rim lock...which are heavier than the valve stem. The Dot indicates the lightest part of the tire

See this from the Dunlop website:

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/infocenter_tiretips.asp?id=16#tip

"All Dunlop street tires should be installed with the yellow balance dot at the valve"

:thumbsup:

Perfect and thanks for correcting me. I knew it was one way or the other but now that I think of it it makes more sense for the dot to be on the light side doesnt it!

Good thing I always prefix things I say with "I think":doh:

I've had my Avons for about a year now and really do like them. I've seen WAY too many reports about them cracking lately though. Looks like I will be trying the Dunlop Elite 3 next time or else going back to Michelin Commanders.

Fuzzy... did you stay with the stock tire size or did you go to the smaller size for the front?

YES, stock size,SilvrT..No rubbing or anything,perfect fit. I actually put the new Avon front tire on with my hands only, didn't even have to use tire iron (just the good old dish washing liquid).:smile11:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

I've had my Avons for about a year now and really do like them. I've seen WAY too many reports about them cracking lately though. Looks like I will be trying the Dunlop Elite 3 next time or else going back to Michelin Commanders.

Well, thats a new one for me Freebird. I quess I should have checked for latest information before ordering. Hope mine don't crack, but I sure am satisfied so far. Thanks ...:smile11:

Well just arrived home from a shorty trip of around 30 mile or so, on my new Avon Venoms (front and back). Man I really love these tires. Thanks to everyone for your help and replies about the tires.

I tried them out on the two lanes here (US 60) about 12 mile, and then hit the big road (I-64). Fastest ever had her since purchase, around 105 mph, SSSMMMMOOOOTTTHHH as silk. Very good tires.

The stalk Brickstones had 4000 miles on them, run back tire low on air for about 120 mile or so and it is almost completely worn out in center. I was having a knee problem (had to have surgery) and didn't relise the tire was that low, wanted to check but knee would not let me. I usually keep a good check on my tires. But I think it worked out best for me anyway. I really like those Venoms. Bike handles so much better at all speeds and conditions. Just got to get them skuffed in now. I did the complete tire change myself, with a little help from a friend and you all.

I did all the grease on splines and changed differintial grease for the second time, just because it was so handy. I took the tires on wheels to a shop and he computer balanced them for me for $15.00 a piece. The back tire, after removed the weights from factory, did not even have to have any weight, perfect. The front had to have just 3/4 once. I have a question for those that have changed there own tires. Do the Venoms have a paint mark to go by ? I could not find any kind of valve mark. And what about when it comes time to change again, just put back the same ? I love my Laran jack. once again , thanks to all. :cool10:

The Venoms do not have a paint mark, unless they have changed them in the last year.

Both my dealer and I have wondered why they did not mark.

I am trying the E3 and just mounted my second E3, first one had about 16000 miles.

But I am still thinking I will go back to Avons, they just seem to be softer and grip better in the corners.

The Venoms do not have a paint mark, unless they have changed them in the last year.

Both my dealer and I have wondered why they did not mark.

I am trying the E3 and just mounted my second E3, first one had about 16000 miles.

But I am still thinking I will go back to Avons, they just seem to be softer and grip better in the corners.

Well Sleeperhawk, after reading most of threads about the Avon Venoms I am wishing that I would have went with Dunlop. I am going out to garage now to check the manufacture date on sidewall. A lot of people having sidewall cracks. Do search for Venom Tires and read on ????:confused24:

Avon Venom tires are the only ones I know of that do not come with a dot to indicate the lightest point in the tire (should always be mounted with dot at valve stem). When I queried Avon about the lack of a dot, they stated their tire is made with such a close tolerance that no dot is necessary.

On the sidewall checking - we had a bunch of reports of this on Venoms a few years back, and IIRC, all of the tires were made in 2005. Even all the recent reports I recall seeing were STILL for tires made in 2005 but recently purchased. I think the ONLY report I remember seeing about sidewall checking on a Venom tire made at any other time is the one above where the treeman says it is a "new 2008" tire, but he doesn't give the details of the date code to clarify it is actually was MADE in 2008 or he just bought it in 2008.

Avon has been good about replacing these tires, so if you have that problem, contact them.

Goose

Avon Venom tires are the only ones I know of that do not come with a dot to indicate the lightest point in the tire (should always be mounted with dot at valve stem). When I queried Avon about the lack of a dot, they stated their tire is made with such a close tolerance that no dot is necessary.

On the sidewall checking - we had a bunch of reports of this on Venoms a few years back, and IIRC, all of the tires were made in 2005. Even all the recent reports I recall seeing were STILL for tires made in 2005 but recently purchased. I think the ONLY report I remember seeing about sidewall checking on a Venom tire made at any other time is the one above where the treeman says it is a "new 2008" tire, but he doesn't give the details of the date code to clarify it is actually was MADE in 2008 or he just bought it in 2008.

Avon has been good about replacing these tires, so if you have that problem, contact them.

Goose

Thanks Goose, I feel better now...SSSHHHOOO, I was getting sick over that, thinking I would have to do everything all over again. Got a ride planned for this month (May 21 st 3-4 days Blue Ridge Parkway, south end from Boone NC down),my brother and long time friend JD Holbrooks riding together.My brother and I are putting a Dunlop 404 rear on brothers Honda Magna as soon as weather permits him to ride over to my garage.

My front Venom tire dated 0308 , Rear Venom 4508, so I think and hope they will be fine. Again THANKS for clearing that up.

Looking for a riding route back from southern end BR Parkway. We will have southern 74 mile done sometime that Fri. evening and still half a day Fri to ride and all Sat and want to be back home here in Carter county KY around 10:00 AM Sunday morn.

James

Ive got a new set of elite3s in the garage,I like to try new things but I know even without trying I will go back to Avons as my current set has right at 16000 miles on them...I hope I can get that on the elites but if not its cool.

Well Sleeperhawk, after reading most of threads about the Avon Venoms I am wishing that I would have went with Dunlop. I am going out to garage now to check the manufacture date on sidewall. A lot of people having sidewall cracks. Do search for Venom Tires and read on ????:confused24:

With all the sets of Avons I have had, over 60,000 on the 05, I had no cracks at all, but then again, I was putting on a set and a half each year (2 rear to 1 front) . :)

With all the sets of Avons I have had, over 60,000 on the 05, I had no cracks at all, but then again, I was putting on a set and a half each year (2 rear to 1 front) . :)

Sleeperhawk, I spoke with Avon company customer service (1-800-624-7470) today. My tires dated front 0308 which means that it was made 3 rd week of 08 yr. My rear is 4508 wich means it was made 45 th week of 08 yr. The customer service person told me that they have had a few 05 yr and very few 06 and 07 problems. Also said that tires are waranted for 5 yrs from date of purchase. He said that this had not been a great issue with them so far and that there was not very many reports. He assured me that if I had any problem at all, that Avon would replace and pay someone to put them on. So I have no regrets now at all.These tires according to him are manufactured with such great care to get them evenly balanced that the company does not put the paint dot on the tire. :cool10: