IGNORED

Use cassette power for GPS?

I'll be getting my Zumo 660 in the next few weeks. I'll be using the AUX plug at the back of the cassette player (I already have my iPod connected there) and I want to also disconnect the power from the cassette player and use that for the GPS.

Any guidance or advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'm sure the connection for the cigarette lighter is easy to find, but have you ever had to change the fuse for that circuit? No way I want to have to do that when out riding. The fuse for the audio system is a lot easier to get to.

I still think using the power for the cassette player is the best solution, unless it turns off when switching the audio to AUX???

Here is my two cents... just got to throw it in ya know..

To do what your talking about you have to split the fairing to get to it. Not that that is a big deal, but let me explain.

Your GPS should come with an inline fuse holder with it.

If not, it is very easy to install one, and they are fairly cheap too, found at any auto parts store or wally world.

I myself, personally, would connect the GPS directly to the battery and have the inline fuse located where I find it very accessible to change if it ever did blow out.

(Highly unlikely it will, but it could).

Oh now, some may say they would rather have the GPS on a hot wire that is hot when key is on and cold when key is off..

However, I found sometimes I did not want the GPS on while riding and I would have to hit the on/off button on the GPS to shut it off when hooked up this way.

Oh wait, either way, you will have to hit the on off button on the GPS unit no matter HOW you have it hooked up when you dont want it on when riding.. right..??

so to me it really doesnt matter how the unit is hooked up as long as you can get to the fuse easily...and this includes not having to splitting the fairing or having to remove the lower cowl to get to the stereo / radio fuse box, or pull the left side cover off.

I located my inline fuse right in front of the battery under the seat..but note: I didnt have the seat hold down nuts installed holding my seat down either...

I could lift my seat off in two seconds..

See, with my fat butt on it, it surely wasnt going anywhere and when I wrecked 4 weeks ago, do you really think I gave a darn about that seat flying off.......:080402gudl_prv:

I have an extra fuse box under my seat. Ran my heated grips there, and also power for my Lowrance IWay 500 and my Garmin 765. Two GPS hookups because that way it the wife and I are going to different directions I can still hook up my old reliable.

Very good point, Eck. I've thought about going that way. Very simple. But I have a couple of issues with it:

First, the cradle will always be "hot", exposed contacts and all. That worries me a little.

Second, the cable that comes with the new zumo has a single connector at the cradle then splits into power/audio out/mic/etc about 38" down from the cradle. If I run that cable under the tank to the battery to connect the power, I will then have to run another cable for the audio all the way back to the front of the bike, where I would have to split the fairing anyway.

But, if I run that cable directly into the fairing, I can get my power and AUX connected in there somewhere. And if I use a circuit that already has a fuse on it, surely I can get rid of the inline fuse??? I would pick a circuit with a fuse under the side panel so that it's not that big a deal to get to it. The audio power circuit comes to mind, as long as the fuse is the right amperage.

That, or I'm completely out in left field.

04Midnight,

You too have very valid points that one must take into consideration.

You are correct that the cradle will always be "hot" and I may have over looked that because my Zumo had a rubber flip up flap that covered the contacts when you removed the GPS unit from the cradle. Not sure if his particular type has same rubber flap.

However, as long as nothing metal or "conductive" touches them, no short can occur.

But it is a concern that one should consider such as you have.

Your also right that you would have to split the fairing anyhow for audio hook up.

When I mentioned not having to split the fairing, I was not clear enough, but I meant that he would not have to split the fairing just to change out a fuse if his fuse blew out.

Yes, he will have to split the fairing to hook up audio which can be done with a splitter from radio shack, but in my attempted explanation this would be a one time action, which is the same as yours.

you have very valuable points to consider when installing the unit. :thumbsup2:

Very good point, Eck. I've thought about going that way. Very simple. But I have a couple of issues with it:

First, the cradle will always be "hot", exposed contacts and all. That worries me a little.

Second, the cable that comes with the new zumo has a single connector at the cradle then splits into power/audio out/mic/etc about 38" down from the cradle. If I run that cable under the tank to the battery to connect the power, I will then have to run another cable for the audio all the way back to the front of the bike, where I would have to split the fairing anyway.

But, if I run that cable directly into the fairing, I can get my power and AUX connected in there somewhere. And if I use a circuit that already has a fuse on it, surely I can get rid of the inline fuse??? I would pick a circuit with a fuse under the side panel so that it's not that big a deal to get to it. The audio power circuit comes to mind, as long as the fuse is the right amperage.

That, or I'm completely out in left field.

I am sure the new 660 Will have the Rubber Protector Flip Cover on the cradle.

I used to have mine with the key shut off, but changed it to HOT-WIRE!

I like that much better, when I need the Zumo off I just hit

the off button on the Zumo.

Jeff

I ran mine to the aux connection under the seat next to the battery with an in line fuse. Easy to get to and controlled by the switch, the circuit fused but my in line fuse is lower than the circuit so it should go first if it does blow.

According to a post here it is apparently very hard to change the fuse for the cig lighter. I always run my GPS out of the cig lighter plug and have had no problem at all. I don't understand why this would cause the fuse to go as they draw so very little power but now I'm a bit hesitant. I was actually thinking of getting a power splitter that plugs in there to run both my GPS and MP3 players. Both very little power consumption at all. Now, my question is, (after reading what I have) is this a very BAD idea?? Has anyone had issues with this in the past?? I can get by as I have been with just running the GPS off power and just letting the battery on the MP3 player do its thing, however on long trips it tends to die out after just a few hours. Thoughts?? I am very very electronically challenged and don't feel that re-wiring things is within my grasp and frankly, really don't want to have additional things hanging around if possible. Guess what I'm really asking is, if I don't re-wire for this am I asking for trouble??

Thanks.

I have the 550 and have it wired directly to the battery as well. I do have the rubber flap and I've never had an issue with any shorts. The charging for the Zumo battery is so minimal that I don't have any bike battery issues. For me it works perfect. I did split the fairing to run the audio through the auxil and to place the XM30 antenna inside the fairing. It all looks very clean. I didn't know the wiring for the 660 was different. Hopefully that won't be too much of a pain.

Edger, all I can say is, the fuse for the cigarette lighter is inside the front cowling. It's a pain to get to. I blew mine, albeit using a portable air pump (don't do it, folks!). I doubt very much that a few electronic devices would blow that fuse, but personnally, I won't chance it.

According to this both aux fuses are behind the lower cowling, this came from the owners manual.

Fuse box 1: Located behind the right lower cowling

From left to right or as you're looking at them:

Cruise control-10A

Carb heaters-10A

Rear aux.DC outlet-5A [ Located under the driver's seat behind the battery.That little WHITE connector plug]

Front aux. DC outlet-5A [Cigarette lighter in the left side of fairing.]

Audio-10A

Then two spare fuses.

According to this both aux fuses are behind the lower cowling, this came from the owners manual.

Fuse box 1: Located behind the right lower cowling

Rear aux.DC outlet-5A [ Located under the driver's seat behind the battery.That little WHITE connector plug]

Damn! That one under the seat too!?! A lot of people are suggesting using that one for the GPS.