IGNORED

Garmin zumo 550 r Tom Tom Rider 2

tonyc

I have the Zumo and love it. Performance is excellent and the unit is very durable. I also like the Garmin customer support. I had one issue with the software when I was on the road. It locked up and nothing I could do would fix it. I called Gamin when I got home and the girl said that she had heard about this happening but it was very rare and never with a Zumo. The unit was out of warranty but she had me send the unit to them anyway and I had a new one in less than a week. NO CHARGE!! They covered it under warranty even though I was a good 6 months past the expiration.

I don't know much about the Tom Tom other than a friend who has one but I think his is the 1st model. He's not real happy with it. His mount has been an issue from the start and he said it's hard to read with sunglasses on a bright day. I've never had that issue with the Zumo. It also looks like there are a number of feature differences with the Zumo having quite a few more.

Hope that helps some.

Edited by loehring

Zumo 550 here. Really like it and have the XM radio puck. Going across country with XM would be great since you don't have to search for stations. It also has an MP3 player and you can answer your phone through the bluetooth.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/marinerfan/default/garmin-008--large-msg-122088667708.jpg

I have the Zumo and love it. Performance is excellent and the unit is very durable. I also like the Garmin customer support. I had one issue with the software when I was on the road. It locked up and nothing I could do would fix it. I called Gamin when I got home and the girl said that she had heard about this happening but it was very rare and never with a Zumo. The unit was out of warranty but she had me send the unit to them anyway and I had a new one in less than a week. NO CHARGE!! They covered it under warranty even though I was a good 6 months past the expiration.

I don't know much about the Tom Tom other than a friend who has one but I think his is the 1st model. He's not real happy with it. His mount has been an issue from the start and he said it's hard to read with sunglasses on a bright day. I've never had that issue with the Zumo. It also looks like there are a number of feature differences with the Zumo having quite a few more.

Hope that helps some.[/quote

Yes, the Zumo does lock-up, and not so rare either...But all you have to do is remove the battery, replace it and all will reset and be back to normal - won't even loose any data. I'ts annoying but the unit works so well otherwise that it's worth it!

My wife bought me a Rider2 for Christmas. The one thing that I didn't like about it was that it had no hard wired audio out. Only bluetooth out. That means that if you want to play the MP3 or hear the voice commands through the bikes system, you have to buy some type of bluetooth adapter. I returned it and bought a Zumo and have been very pleased with it.

This is oder model, and for last 2 years I didnt have any isues, Still using between my car and bike. I don use XM radio, and dont care about bluetooth for phone connections. I'll return calls at gas stop.

Edited by stardbog

Yes, the Zumo does lock-up, and not so rare either...But all you have to do is remove the battery, replace it and all will reset and be back to normal - won't even loose any data. I'ts annoying but the unit works so well otherwise that it's worth it!

I tried that and the 'hard reset' and neither one worked in this case. I guess it was just a strange deal. So far I haven't had any issues with the new one they sent me.

I have had the Zumo 550 for almost a year now. I love it for sure. If you do decide to get the zumo, or want more info to make your decision, please check www.zumoforums.com a great resource for apps and info. Garmin support is fantastic, and I have always had good luck with them. I would also like to point out that there is a newer model of zumo called the 660. Bigger screen, and more features as I can tell. Just wanted to toss that in as well.