IGNORED

Hog members

footsie

Not to insult anyone here, I know there are some harley owners that are hog members that are members here too.

Has anyone had trouble with Hog members, I have a few friends that are Hog members, but most seem to treat anybody that rides anything other than a harley like dirt.

Or is it just me.

Gregg

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right on, I have many friends I ride with that belong to Hog, and since I knew them when they rode something else or nothing at all, they are still friends to me, I get a lot of ribbing from them, but they even comment about the HD riders that dont wave to anyone but another HD. To most the HD is a status symbol and thats it........trailer queens a lot of them. I dont care what anyone rides, the fact that they ride makes them part of our brotherhood. And yes I would still stop and help them if they are parked on the side with a problem, cause thats the right thing to do.:thumbsup:

Not to insult anyone here, I know there are some harley owners that are hog members that are members here too.

Has anyone had trouble with Hog members, I have a few friends that are Hog members, but most seem to treat anybody that rides anything other than a harley like dirt.

Or is it just me.

Gregg

I got alot of ripping when I bought my VTX and when I sold it and bought my RSV in January they really started in. They do not like it when I tell them I can count on my bike getting me where I am going. I'll stop and lend a hand to someone who looks like they need help. We are all out there saring the road doing what we love so who care what you ride as long as you enjoy it.

I am a member of this group, The Venturers, GWRRA, and Star Touring along with patriot Guard Riders. None of them care really what you ride, we are motorcyclists (not "bikers" as such) and wave at all kinds of bikes. If someone doesn't then so be it. I have been really impressed with the Patriot Guard. Mostly Harleys, but anyone that respects the military is welcome, even if you never served, like me.

I have considered a Harley, and even though I am not a fan of the vibration,........ the history and image still tugs at me. But I like my VR too much to switch.

A friend of mine solved the problem by having a RSV AND an Ultra Glide. I don't have that much room or money though so have to make the choice, and my cheap but nice VR does it for me.

Guest tx2sturgis

Hey the HOG group IS clickish...what part of that dont you understand? HOG stands for Harley Owners Group....is that confusing? The group exists for Harley riders...you even have to provide a Harley VIN number to be a full member.

And they have every right to act exclusive, if they want to. I'm not saying treating someone like dirt is OK...but some riders are just unfriendly. No matter what they ride.

I am a member of the national HOG, but I dont participate in the rides and rallies...yeah...within the bigger 'click', there were smaller 'clicks'...its like a 'good ol boy' network....

Of course, my choice is to not participate or socialize with them...so does that make ME a snob?

Hey one thing I have noticed is the level of snobiness shown by many GoldThing riders...not ALL...just some. It happens.

People are people.

:think:

Edited by tx2sturgis

Guest seuadr
Hey the HOG group IS clickish...what part of that dont you understand? HOG stands for Harley Owners Group....is that confusing? The group exists for Harley riders...you even have to provide a Harley VIN number to be a full member.

And they have every right to act exclusive, if they want to. I'm not saying treating someone like dirt is OK...but some riders are just unfriendly. No matter what they ride.

I am a member of the national HOG, but I dont participate in the rides and rallies...yeah...within the bigger 'click', there were smaller 'clicks'...its like a 'good ol boy' network....

Of course, my choice is to not participate or socialize with them...so does that make ME a snob?

Hey one thing I have noticed is the level of snobiness shown by many GoldThing riders...not ALL...just some. It happens.

People are people.

:think:

it all depends. People are elitist wherever you go. In my tig welding class ( i'm a student at LCC ) there is a guy who has owned hogs for the last 15 years. it's all he rides now, he lives and breathes them. Great guy, chatted with him on several occasions about bikes in general. There is another guy who loves harleys, but has never actually owned one, that gives me crap for having a rice burner, and the fact that i wear textile riding gear and a full face helmet.:yikes:

people can't help it. they want to feel special, apart from the rest. Imho, this is the difference between a biker and a motorcycle rider. the former wants to be something special.. the latter wants to do something special.

A few years ago, before I gave up riding H-D's, I attended a HOG meeting just to see if I would want to be part of it. There were about 20 people there. I'll usually strike up a conversation with someone before too long but I decided to sit back and get the feel of the group and wait and see if anyone else would say anything to the 'new guy'. After about 20 minutes I couldn't wait till it was over and it was because the members there seemed to feel the same way! The feeling that I got from them was that there was a H.O.G. just because there HAD to be a H.O.G. and they were unlucky enough to be it.

But, that was one group on one night. I'm sure there has to be a group out there that is happy that they are members.

I think it's all in the context and the timing. I've never really been a joiner until the Patriot Guard and this group. I never liked the rules. ( I guess I have a problem with authority. :guitarist 2: ) What I have seen with the PGR is that when people are there for that reason there is no exclusivity as a rule. We still have groups that want to ride together and not mix but some who don't care. We have some clubs that won't allow a PGR patch and some that will. Most groups have qualifiers. HOG, ALR, Combat Vets, even groups like Southern Cruisers (which is just a ride group) have their own deals. I've never had any issues with any of them outside of some friendly ribbing but I will say that I would also never make a comment about the one thing that makes them who they are. I would never slam the military in front of a military club and I would never slam a HD in front of a HOG. Respect what makes them unique and you will (for the lost part) receive respect in return. Although there will always be the "lunatic fringe" this has been my experience. I always make a positive comment about someone's ride no matter what it is or looks like.

What I used to consider a really good friend of mine used to have a 1994 Ultra and we would go riding and camping and hang out together all the time (he was the one that turned me on to my Venture Royale). Well 2 years ago he bought a brand new Ultra and since that day he no longer calls, we never go riding, we never go camping, nothing. I've called and emailed him many times and he always has some kind of excuse not to be available. Maybe it's just me he doesn't like....Now he does go to Daytona with his Harley friends every year...no I'm not invited and even used my enclosed trailer just after he bought his new Harley to haul it there...and he hangs out with all of them. He and his buddy that has an Ultra 1 year older than his call anything other than a Harley a "Disposable". I am also an avid drag racing fan and have a NHRA trailer hitch plug on my car. He and a couple of his Harley buds were at my work site one day and saw it. He poked one of his buds and said "I wonder if that stands for Non Harley Riders of America" and they all had one great big laugh.

Personally I wouldn't trade my Yamaha for 10 Harleys.... well on second thought I would...then I could go buy 15 Royal Star Ventures and have one painted each a different color. Gues I just don't feel I have to own a Harley to make people like me and be my friend. Just my opinion.

Guest BluesLover
IT's ok Lou. I still like you and will talk to you:stickpoke:.

Now how do I get my stuff?

Thanks John! Glad I still got a friend in the VR community :innocent:.

I'm heading to Moonshine tomorrow morning - and not trailering either :stickpoke: and then am free after that. Maybe we can hook up - I also owe some stuff to Charlie (Dragerman) and to Brad T. I am also still planning on attending Carl's M&E in May if we can't hook up before that.

By the way, lots of generalizations being thrown around - I have never seen at any of the clubs I belong to (Southern Cruisers, Canadian Motorcycle Cruisers, Virago Owner's Club, VentureRider.org, or even London HOG) people drinking and riding. If they did encourage that behaviour, I'd not be part of it.

Cheers,

HOG - Harley Owner's Group. I thought if you bought a Harley from a dealer you were automatically a HOG member. Maybe not.

Three of my riding buddy's ride Harleys. One of them has always ridden a HD while the other two "moved up" to theirs. The one that has always had an HD is a memeber of a local HD Riding Club. I don't know if they are HOG members. I have been on an "unofficial" club ride with some of there members. They treated me like I would have treated them, a fellow biker. If it is an "official" club ride I am not allowed to join them and that is fine with me. They have club rules and requirements and this also is fine with me. If I paid $1500 a year to be in a club I would want some restrictions also. I don't know what they say about me when I'm not around but they have always been kind and respectful when I am around. That's all I can ask for and expect. Maybe paying HOG memebers are different. They may be too hard core for me.

Guest BluesLover
HOG - Harley Owner's Group. I thought if you bought a Harley from a dealer you were automatically a HOG member.
Can't speak for what happens in other provinces/states, but in Ontario, you get a 1 year membership to National HOG when you buy a HD product (by the way, an annual membership is $65 - not $1500 - and it includes the quarterly magazine, a HOG patch and an annual pin. It also gives you access to a free pin at any of the annual bike rallies like Daytona, Laconia, Port Dover Friday the 13th, etc.). Membership in local chapters is totally different - you need to be a national member before you can apply for a local chapter membership (my local chapter charges $15 a year).

Cheers,

My thought is that you don't have to be a jerk to ride a Harley and you don't have to ride a Harley to be a jerk. I know some of each, some of my good friends ride Harley's and would not ride anything else, but they respect the fact that I ride a Yamaha and we ride together. I also know some guys who ride Harleys that are real jerks. It may not be the bikes fault, maybe it just gives some of them an excuse to run their head and feel safety in numbers. I just find it easier to ignore the ones who use material objects to try and elevate themselves above anyone. Let's just ride.

I have had only a few Harley Riders give me a hard and I don`t mean just ribbing which is ok. I almost bought a Ultra classic before I bought my 07 Midnight Venture. Belong to a local star chapter and stopped a harley dealer to check out the bikes and were told we had to move our bikes because only harleys could park up front. We had to park on the other end of the lot. Needless to say we left. My thoughts have now be changed about Harleys. And yes I have good friends that ride harleys and we give each other alot of crap about ones bike. But all in good fun.

I belong to a local club that is made up of people who like to ride. There are a lot of brands, including Harleys. There is a lot of bantering between us and all the non-harley riders like to give the Harley riders a hard time as they do us. But it is all in fun. We just like to ride (and eat). Sometimes we even swap bikes.

I have met Harley riders with attitudes and have noticed that some parts of the country are worse than others. But I have met some really nice people on Harleys. I once spent some time under an overpass in a rain storm with 5 Harley riders I never met before, and had a great time.

Maybe the Harley people are upset cause they can't catch us :rasberry:

I have also met some people on other brands that are idiots.

Idiots are idiots. It doesn't matter whats on the name of their bikes, thye are still going to be obnoxous. Me I ride along side my wife and best friend. Well he should be my brother. She rides a Honda and he rides a harley. I hate to say it but the most dependable and well behaved bike until recently has been the Honda .

My bike had some problems and Nat"s harley goes down every now and then. All part of the fun, we fix em together too.

Can't we all just ride and enjoy what god created for us to sDavid

A few years ago I was told I wasn't a real rider by the president of the local HOG. When I asked him what he ment he stated only real riders ride Harley's all the rest are fakes. This was before I was ordained so my NCO temper flared a little.:stickpoke: I asked him how many miles he put on his bike the last year and he said 3800 miles. At this point I laughed at him and got out my service book. I showed him that in the last 12 months I had put on 23685 mile on my bike. I then asked him who the real rider was as it sure wasn't his candy A??. The other harley riders with him got quiet and I was left alone for the rest of the ride. A couple actualy bought me a drink at the end and asked where I ride to cover that much territory. The president stayed far away and left soon after the end of the ride along with the other stuck ups. Imagine that.LOL:innocent-emoticon: :2133:

Harleys are OK, Just too many of them, I think the reason some HD guys don't wave is they are unhappy with their bike and could be experiencing a possible breakdown so cut them some slack...Most HD guys are OK one on one or if they really like to ride,

It's all about the ride, the air and the freedom on backroads you have never seen. My best riding buddy Hoove ( retired fireman)has a 2002 Fireman Special it's a Road King and he just passed 137,000 miles, we have a great time travelling and putting a couple of thousand miles on in a week, He likes anyone who rides anything, HD, Jap Crap, Funny Looking BMRS and even Moto Guzzi's, I feel bad for the guys who trailer their bikes to events, most are at best a weekend riders and don't get to enjoy the ride to the destination.

Give the HD guy a break, wave when they go by, and remember it's about the ride, the friends, and the adventure on the way!