IGNORED

Air Induction System

Air Injection System? Is it really called the Air INDUCTION System?

Well...no matter. :) It puts fresh air into the exhaust stream to aid in burning off any unburnt combustibles. It's for emissions.

Yes, on the RSV it is called "induction" by Yamaha because the bike has no active pump to inject the fresh air into the exhaust.

Adding fresh air to the hot exhaust at the header significantly reduces the emissions of unburned hydrocarbons in any engine. The additional O2 actually causes the unburned fuel to continue burning as it exits the exhaust valve, thus actively reducing the emissions, not just diluting them. I believe this was the first really significant emission control on autos way back in the 60s (the active injection pump was commonly called a "smog pump"). Since this is a passive system, it improves the quality of all our air with zero impact on your bike's fuel efficiency or performance.

Goose

OK. Thanks.

When I read the replies from Monsta and 'flb 78' I immediately thought, "the AIS is coming off, Man!" When I read V7Goose's reply, I felt guilty for thinking that.

If I quit farting and throwing beer cans on the side of the road, do you think that it'll wash?

OK. Thanks.

When I read the replies from Monsta and 'flb 78' I immediately thought, "the AIS is coming off, Man!" When I read V7Goose's reply, I felt guilty for thinking that.

If I quit farting and throwing beer cans on the side of the road, do you think that it'll wash?

Slab Pig...I just removed my AIS system after having it blocked for the last 5 years. My personal opinion is that it does very little to effect anything. Many others have removed the system once the warranty ran out. It sure makes accessing things under the engine a little easier too. And dont feel guilty about farting........

OK. Thanks.

I would never suggest that anyone take off a piece of equipment that can affect emissions.

Oh wait... :whistling:

• 2 years later...

HELP!!!! you dont know how luckly we are to 1st to ride a RSTD and to have a site like this.

I have a 06 RSTD 82k the AIS has oil leaking from the top around the number 3 carb?? I know its not the carb but why is oil there?? Help????? what can I do to fix the situation.

thanks,,

It most likely is just oil seeping out of the intake plenum that attaches to the tops of the carbs. Oil from the crankcase vent will accumulate there in quantities sufficient to drip onto the ground via the hose that is routed down behind the battery and can be seen near the sidestand. Some of the oil will inevitably seep out and get on the carbs, especially the left side because the bike parks leaned over onto that side. If this is the source of your oil, there is no concern, except the little mess.

Slab Pig...I just removed my AIS system after having it blocked for the last 5 years. My personal opinion is that it does very little to effect anything. Many others have removed the system once the warranty ran out. It sure makes accessing things under the engine a little easier too. And dont feel guilty about farting........

Did you get an exhaust hydrocarbons reading before and after?

Back to the original question (from '06 I think!), for what it's worth, I had my AIS plugged for about a year, and found that the bike's performance suffered some in terms of both gas mileage and that very irritating "popping" from the exhaust. It really was pretty bad. I took the plugs off back in September, and now think that the bike is running better than ever. I still want to get the carbs synched sometime soon, but otherwise, it's running great with the AIS unplugged.

I pulled the AIS off my 05 Roadstar. It solved the popping issue completely, had no discernable effect on how the bike ran. I put the AIS back on before I sold the bike. Because the AIS doesn't affect how the bike runs, apart from the annoying popping sounds, and because it has a beneficial result in emissions, I will leave it on the Venture. Besides, the Roadie was easy to deal with, plugging the ports at the heads, while it looks like the RSV is a bit more involved, and there probably isn't an easy way to go back if you need to.

I pulled the AIS off my 05 Roadstar. It solved the popping issue completely, had no discernable effect on how the bike ran. I put the AIS back on before I sold the bike. Because the AIS doesn't affect how the bike runs, apart from the annoying popping sounds, and because it has a beneficial result in emissions, I will leave it on the Venture. Besides, the Roadie was easy to deal with, plugging the ports at the heads, while it looks like the RSV is a bit more involved, and there probably isn't an easy way to go back if you need to.

As I have noted in many other threads on this subject, the AIS on these bikes does NOT cause popping or backfires (actually called an afterfire, not a backfire). Any stock Royal Star with nothing wrong with it will NOT bang or pop when the AIS is working - if it is doing this, there is something WRONG with the bike that needs to be fixed!

It is true that plugging or removing the AIS will often stop an afterfire, but that does not fix the real cause, it just masks the symptom. It is pretty much the same as if you have a passenger that is constantly telling you that your have a very low tire, and instead of fixing the tire, you just shove them off the bike - the tire remains a problem, but you just don't have to listen to someone telling you about it any more!

Goose

Well spoken Goose. On my bike I experienced the popping occasionally on deceleration. My solution was to adjust the fuel mix screws, bump up the pilot jets 1 size, and do a carb sync. Problem solved.

The bike runs great and requires much less choke on colder mornings then before the changes were made.

Larry

With due respect V7Goose, 03 venture.:whistling: I plugged mine due to a Broken front housing (by the oil filter). Also plugged the rear. This being said---the bike had a air leak that sounded like a knock comming from the front. After plugged, it had no noticeable performance diffrence, only a much quieter more pleasurable ride. Yes I did take the easy route and plugged the system.

Bill