IGNORED

Traveling Bucket List

Gray Ghost

For awhile now I have wanted to travel through the 48 contiguous states on my bike. It the kind of thing that needs to be planned out long range in order to make the most out of it. There are some books out that will help with that, one called "1000 places to see in the US and Canada before you die". I have ordered that but thought that this site could offer up some good suggestions as well.

So, if you had to pick ONE place in your state that would be the priority, what would it be?

That's kind of a toughie! Well, the obvious is Niagara Falls, but there are sooo many other saights in our state as well, such as Cooperstown, Letchworth State Park, Lake George, etc! If you did the western part of NY state you could see the falls as well as several other historical sites as well as Letchworth State Park, and see the most famous sites of the area as well, Bongo Bob's hangout!!!

Wonderful question - In WI, travel the river from Cassville to Hudson (across from Minneapolis). Another beautiful ride is along the Lake Superior shoreline.

RR

Be sure to start in Iowa, and take the ferry across to Cassville. You get a nice little ride on the river you are about to ride along for over a hundred miles.

I could see hitting the other 20 states, just to say I did it. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

Later, Scooter Bob

if you are a history buff,you will never make all 48 states,to meny places,seanery buff,back roads,and those out of the way places,3 mo,ride the roads 2 mo,the ones that go with you need to have the same enterist as you,2 or more,add a mo,stopping at state signs,finding places to pull off,finding motels,camp sites,places to eat,now don't for get other bike riders[shUtting the bull]realy cuts into your plans OH YES TAKE A CASE OF BATTARY FOR YOUR CAM

been there still doing it,over 200,000 mls,VR riders, are the BEST,to meet all over the US AND CANADA

:thumbsup::happy-emoticon::fiddle::whistling::080402gudl_prv:

Well if you make it to Washington State ( better than D.C. ) I guess, The Drive around Mt. Rainier, is the Classic Drive.

#2 would be " The Dry Falls " ( and Grand Coulee Dam )

#3 would be the complete circle Drive of the Olympic Mountains.

( Include here a stop at the " Ho Rain Forest "

#4 would be Drive Along the Columbia River, from Yakima, Wa. going West, to the Pacific Coast where the Columbia dumps into the Pacific. ( Astoria, Oregon )

Then, top it off with a Run on Highway U.S. 101, from Central Wa. Coast, all the way down to San Franscisco !! Coastal Route.

From San Fran, pick up Calif. Highway #1, south to San Louis Opbispo. ( Thats the Clasic !!!! )

Three Sisters,but if memory serves me I think you told me you had been there,Big Bend,River Road area,All of the Hill Country around where I live and Welcome to stay here at our house if you get to the hill country area. Tom

Ya, I rode through Mt Ranier Nat Park in 2000. I put the Electra Glide in neutral and engine off for 9 miles one time and 2 miles another time down through the twisties. It was a beautiful ride. I had camped in a road side park about 20 miles from the Nat Park and was in the park at 7 am, beat the motorhomes.

Scooter Bob

In MA it would depend on timing IMO. Cape Cod (and perhaps Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket - just a ferry ride away) is nice, but weekends in the Summer are hell to ride due to traffic. Farther West (which may be easier on a Summer New England run) Mt. Graylock is pretty neat with cool access roads. It's the highest point in MA.

More touristy stuff would include either Plymouth Plantation (East coast) or Sturbridge Village (more West). This all assumes you'd want to avoid the downtown traffic and hectic pace of driving in Boston - which is otherwise a great city.

Best rides IMO would be back roads to Sturbridge - then to Graylock then on to the rest of New England.

Best scenery would be Plymouth, Cape & Islands assuming you can avoid weekend traffic in the Summer.

If you hit NH make sure to ride the Kancamagus Highway and hit Hurricane Mountain Road along the way. It's a relatively short run but some of the most fun you'll find if you like to lean. We did a VentureRider NorthEast gathering there a couple of years ago and it was great!

Well if you make it to Washington State ( better than D.C. ) I guess, The Drive around Mt. Rainier, is the Classic Drive.

#2 would be " The Dry Falls " ( and Grand Coulee Dam )

#3 would be the complete circle Drive of the Olympic Mountains.

( Include here a stop at the " Ho Rain Forest "

#4 would be Drive Along the Columbia River, from Yakima, Wa. going West, to the Pacific Coast where the Columbia dumps into the Pacific. ( Astoria, Oregon )

Then, top it off with a Run on Highway U.S. 101, from Central Wa. Coast, all the way down to San Franscisco !! Coastal Route.

From San Fran, pick up Calif. Highway #1, south to San Louis Opbispo. ( Thats the Clasic !!!! )

Nice list George. Another good ride is the North Cascades Highway (Summertime only).

Music Row and the Grand Ole Opery in Nashville

Natchez Trace (Runs from Nashville TN to Natchez MS) watch for deer and the federal park rangers who absolutely enforce the 50 mph speed limit!

Vicksburg(MS) Military Park

Ferry across the bottom of Mobile(AL) bay. There are historic forts at either end of the ferry ride.

Think about being on the Mississippi Gulf coast Oct. 4 - 11 for Cruisin' the Coast http://www.cruisinthecoast.com/ it is a week long antique car show.

Then there is always New Orleans. There are so many things to see there you gotta like some of them.

Beale Street in Memphis

Just to name a few...:thumbsup:

if you are a history buff,you will never make all 48 states

Yeah, I know we can't see everything. I could spend months just seeing old military sites. So we aren't planning on hitting any state in detail. There are some things that are given, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Rushmore, etc. But I know there are some particular sites that would be nice to go if they fall close to the route we end up with. As far as routes to ride, the priorities right now are Route 66, Natchez Trace, and Blue Ridge.

Crater Lake Oregon...

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1370/624615439_29af2ffa1e.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1247/625578900_e2b9c8fbd3.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1011/625545502_c2ffbeceb3.jpg

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1095/624615323_4cb4fc18ea.jpg

Pennsylvania - Philadelphia has so much to offer (Liberty Bell; old, grand churches; many other historical items; cheese steaks!).

Hershey for a tour of the chocolate factory (not the REAL factory, but the tour is free).

Gettysburg, of course.

Little Grand Canyon (north central of the state).

You could certainly find something to do pretty much anywhere in this state (or almost all of the others, I would think), just depends on how your route takes you. If you're going to NJ and then Baltimore, Philly is the obvious answer. If skirting through the southwestern corner from Ohio, you have Pittsburgh not too far away, and then you're in WV, MD, VA, etc. PA is large enough to have quite the diversity from one end to the other, plenty to see and do.

Enjoy your trip(s)!!!

This is a very interesting and timely thread for me.

Just yesterday I started palnning a route to visit the capital city of every Canadian province and continental American State. Why? For two reasons.

1) It is my personal bucket list. In November I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Colorectal Cancer - I have a 50% chance of living 2 years, and a 95% chance I will no longer be here in 5 years. I just got back to biking last year after a 20 year hiatus and would love to see our wonderful north American continent.

2) I was trying to come up with ways to tie my passion of biking (and my personal bucket list) to fund raising for Colorectal Cancer (the second leading cause of cancer deaths of both men and women).

I don't know if my doctors would ever approve of such an endeavour, however I cannot approach them with the idea without first figuring out how long it would take me to complete (for example I know I could travel from St John's Newfoundland to Anchorage Alaska in 20 days hitting every provincial capital).

Now starting in Vancouver BC, how long would it take me to hit the capital city of every American State?? I don't even know what route I should take - north to south then east to west, or west to east, then north to south???

Is this something the biking community would support?? Is this something I could use to raise money for Cancer research?? Personally, I don't know - it is all new to me - but then so is the cancer.

What do others think? I respect your opinions so please let me know if this could be doable in one summer (hopefully this summer).

Thanks

In South Dakota, of course you have to go to the Black Hills. Besides Mnt. Rushmore, there are alot of must see places. Keystone is close has alot of touristy shops and an 1880's train ride. Also has helicopter rides to get close to Mnt Rushmore. You should see Deadwood as well. You'll want to travel Iron mnt road, and go through Spearfish canyon as well. you could easily spend a couple of days or more. There is a video of iron mnt road ride in the regional destinations forum on here. its pretty cool. Plan it right and you can hit Sturgis as well!

This may sound a little corny - not intended - but I have personally found the greater endeavor in covering our country is found not so much in the absoulute stunning glory of the high tides of Maine, the extreme history of the east coast, the amazing old time Maritimers stuff in the Keys, the smelly stock yards and VASTNESS of Texas, the fake looking big gulf of the Grand Canyon until you ride the two tracks along the rim and toss boulders off the edge to acutually PROVE to yourself its real, those amazing round boulders stacked on the side of 40 out by Needles, those crazy white dogs chasing a coyote on the farmers field that we have camped on the last 5 times we went to LA on the bike, the smells and views and NIGHT moon glow on the ocean on "1", that huge river that divides Oregon and Washington, what Gods finger did to Mount St Helens, waking up north of Cor De Lane to Eagles stealing fish, the endless beauty of Glacier and trying to enjoy it while traversing on ice patches, the jack rabbits coming across Montana and the and the Antelope almost killing us in Wyoming cause we were caught waving back at an Engineer on a train, the tornado that literally passed over our heads just south of Rapid City, the Black Hills - Needles Highway - Rushmore - Custer State Park petting zoo (here we pet wild buffalos) are all wonderful BUT the real wonder of them the off trail area we camped in and woke up to Big Horn Sheep feeding within 50 Feet of our tent - we watched for over two hours, the MASSIVE winds coming into Cody that literally moved our bike (84 Royale) across two lanes and almost into the ditch on the other side, the shower/motel at Cody after 3 weeks of roughing it without either, the 7 solid days of pure enjoying Yellowstone (take the back roads and camp in the sticks) - Tetons, Jacksonhole,, the little cafe in Majove that has the genuine old school look and the BEST viddles anywhere on the planet - believe their name is Prevos or Premos or something like that, coming into Vegas at 2 am WOW, leaving Vegas at 1pm when you place your foot down on the pavement and it slides out from under your cause your shoe is melting, the kids in Salina Utah riding their mini bikes and quads right down the road to the gas station - heyyyyyy is that legal asked Cowpuc - out here it says the kid - Cowpuc says to his daugher on back of bike - we should live here, the endless prairie of corn that is covering the Old Chisom Trail but you can still find monuments if you look.....

Anyway,, all that said I really said nothing of importance because thier is another BIG part of the ride that needs to be there or its all empty.. Everywhere you go there will be people just waiting to here your story and for you to hear theres.. PEOPLE who you meet along the way are the very adhesiveness that bonds the ride to your memory. If you do what I suggest you WILL have an endevear second to none.. Go out of your way to meet folks - dont wait for them to come over and chat - YOU go and introduce yourself and do the cold call.. Learn to thrive on meeting new people - listen to their stories, be honest with them about what your are doing and they well instantly be your best friend.. What I am saying here is that PEOPLE are what make good trips GREAT TRIPS!! Of the ENDLESS friends I have met while covering this great land of our I want to share two.. I sat down to eat on the way to sturgis a few years back. Just got in under the wire and got served. A guy with a shirt on the said "I got my Harley in Iraq" sat down at a table and knew he wasnt getting served and he didnt.. Frustrated, he walked passed me and I said they didnt serve you did they - he said no.. I said sooooo,,, whats the shirt all about.. He said I just got home from a year in Iraq, my brandnew Harley was waiting for me at the base and they paraded me all the back to my home town for heros welcome.. My mom asked what I wanted to do and I said mom - I gotta hit the road on my bike - that was three days ago... About that time the waitress brought back my dinner and I slid it in front of him - he said oh noooo I cant take your dinner.. I said well, then I will just through it away cause I will be darned if I am going to eat while my brother who just got home from fighting for my freedom to ride my bike across the great land goes hungry.. I looked him in the eyes and told him if he didnt eat it I would toss it.. He ate,, camped with my for the days of Sturgis, went ghost towning and we had a BLAST!! We are now very dear friends and he has been to our home and stayed with us.. Another notable

meet of many was an old Lakota Indian woman that my daughter and I got yapping with a gas station.. After about an hour of 100% thrilling Indian tales of the days of yesteryear this precious old woman invited us to here farm that had been in their family since the reservation days.. Come to find out, she was a PROFESSIONAL miniature horse raiser!!! Friends for life..

The last point I want to make about truely riding epic trips is to examine your heart for what you are after.. Maybe the first couple times of doing such a thing the planning and organizing is not just helpful but for some it is NEEDED before they feel like they can let go.. The longer I do this I am finding that it has an effect like some kind of powerful drug. I can hop on that thing an ride for hours and truly just be so lost in the ride that it feels like minutes..........its a feeling very similar to the feeling of when you are in the zone racing professionally on a dirt bike. Time just sort of suspends and it just you and the machine as one ripping through space and time.

IT DEFINES FREEDOM FOR ME...

Go define it for you...

Good luck

Cowpuc

I do appreciate all the insights and suggestions. To some I am sure it sounds wierd. I have been in most of the states at one time or another, but the intent is mainly to pass the borders of the 48 in one trip. If there is something interesting along the route we will stop and see it. There are some things that are on the list of gotta see.

The responses have been helpful. I originally was just gonna ride to the end of 66 in CA, then head back to Nevada to go North. Then someone reminded me of the Coastal Highway. That is going on the list. The pics of Crater Lake were awesome, so that will probably hit the list as well. The mention of Plymouth Plantation reminded me that the USS Constitution is in Boston, so gonna have to figure that one in as well.

For now though, part of the fun for me is just the planning. We are looking at a couple of years before we trek. So thanks again for the tips. And a special thanks to Goose. Reading his posts about the perimeter ride convinced me to get off the dime and start the process.