My 87 xvz1300 seems to run ok. Back in Feb. Muffinman synched my carbs at the N.Ga/Sc m & e. all of the carp pistons are doing the same dance and it idles smoothly right where it's suppossed to:thumbsup2:

But, I'm getting Horrible gas mileage at 20 MPG. :mo money::doh:

GeorgeS :detective: suggested I start a new thread and get yall's input.:backinmyday::backinmyday::backinmyday::backinmyday::backinmyday::confused24::backinmyday::confused24:

So, What do you think fellows:icon_smile_question

Edited by Dragonslayer

Don't pull the boat to the lake with the bike? :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Sorry, but when I pulled my boat to the lake once, the mileage sucked too. It was just a small 10 foot john-boat and on the 1100 Honda. But the truck was down, soooooo.:lightbulb:

Bryan

Good advice I'll keep this in mind if I decide to get a boat.:doh:

Just guessing at that Point ...

Choke Levers don't close completely ??

Muffinman adjusted choke cable when he synched carbs. And ever since then I don't seem to need any choke. It starts right up cold without the use of the choke and seems to run better. Does this indicate that choke might be set a little too tight. I'll recheck choke cable travel and see where it's at.

Was the 20mpg taken over a period of time and several tanks of gas?

If you are going 90mph and fighting a 50mph headwind then it will create havoc with gas mileage..

As a matter of fact, the ride home from N.GA/SC M & E in Columbia to Atlanta, (Right after Muffinman worked on Carbs )there was a strong head wind. I was riding with Blackjack and WildHair39 who were doing around 90 and I was getting about half the mileage they were.

Pull the plugs and look at them and see how they look. My guess is that you are running way rich and they will be black or even wet. I would double check your choke cable and make sure there is some play in it as you dont want it too tight. Starting without the choke might indicate this as the issue. Mostly it will be trial and error to find something like this.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Rick F.

Guest tx2sturgis
But, I'm getting Horrible gas mileage at 20 MPH.

Hey Bob...I've never seen you go 20 miles per hour except when we were cruising thru a water crossing with 18 inches of water!!!...On dry pavement you need to go FASTER!!

:cool10:

I did the Snaggletooth float/ fuel level test today to determine the fuel level in the float bowls. I marked the Centerline level on the Diaphram covers and hooked up a test tube to each carb drain line and then opened the drain screw.

Carbs 1,2 & 3 FUEL LEVEL REGISTERED AT ABOUT 5/8" below center line

But, Carb 4 bubbled up a little when the drain screw was opened but then quickly sank to below the bottom of the diaphram cover. But then when I closed the drain screw the fuel level in the test tube rose to above the top of the diaphram cover. I'm wondering what that means.