IGNORED

Chin cowling for an '84

Snaggletooth

Hey Bob.

I feel better now. I got home early today and checked eBay and there was a blonde lower cowling in not too bad of shape. About 15 minutes left on the auction and the bid wasn't too bad and I'm popping my parts CD's looking for a cross reference and I got nuttin. I gave it a shot and snagged it with 1 second left.

I just added the Rivco filter adaptor so I've been wanting a cowl to protect it.

Then I figured I better ask somebody, ya know, like after the fact. Doh!

Sometimes me thinks too slow. :doh:

Mike

I don't suppose anybody would have a close up pic showing the connection point on be MKII bars so I know what I'm looking for. What is the difference between the two models?

I'm working on my bike today and need to remove my lower fairings and chin piece so when I do I'll take a pic and post later today.

Hey MiCarl,

That's what I hoping for but it's all specualtion until the cowling arrives.

Now MiCarl, I do have a question for you. You owned a XJ650. I did a set of carbs for a guy and some electrical work over the winter. I gotta say the intake system from the air box to the carbs is a piece of work. PITA! You got any hot tips on getting the air box boots back on the carbs without losing your sense of humor. Arrrggg!

I'm ready to talk him into a set of V stacks and lose the airbox setup in the river.

Just wondering.

The front crash bars mounted on the bike is the MK2 version . Note the top mounting bolt has two additional mount points for the left and right lower fairings and the left and right top chin piece bolts.

The right front crash bar on the ground and in my hand do not have those additional tabs.

I hope that clears things up nfor you.

Thanks Bob.

That gives me an idea of what I'll be working for then. I talked to a rider today that thinks he might have a set of usable bars from an '87. He's gonna take a look and let me know. If not, it's fab time or watch ebay for another couple of years. LOL!

And thanks for your time and trouble for sure. I appreciate it.

Mike

Thanks Bob.

That gives me an idea of what I'll be working for then. I talked to a rider today that thinks he might have a set of usable bars from an '87. He's gonna take a look and let me know. If not, it's fab time or watch ebay for another couple of years. LOL!

And thanks for your time and trouble for sure. I appreciate it.

Mike

Good luck I think the MK2 chin pieces look a lot better than the mk1's do

Good luck I think the MK2 chin pieces look a lot better than the mk1's do

Actually the mk1 didnt have a stock piece did they? other then the markland chorome piece.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b22/MikeM8560/Venture%20XVZ12/100_01yyyyyy56-1-1.jpg?

Hey Mike....ya got a PM.

Yeah....I looked for one of the chrome chins for two years. All could find was the semi rusted and damaged ones for a semi unreasonable price or a really rusted one for a not even reasonable price. LOL!

I've seen a lot of MKII chins and most of them looked pretty bad. Bad cracks, pieces missing, no vent screens, etc. So I ended up jumping a little ahead of the game on this one hoping I could make it work. It will. Just need to make some adjustments.

And Mike, everytime you post a pic of your bike I get all misty. A sweet looking ride for sure. Nice job caring for it.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Ok.....making progress. I got the chin and it's in good shape. Even has the rubber grommets intact. I got my MKII bars lined up. Now, looking at the tabs and chin I'm going to ask what was the original hardware for bolts? Was it a shoulder type bolt? Or just a bolt with washers on each side of the grommets?

No clue on my end. Never seen one close up.

Mike