IGNORED

Conficker Worm

mini-muffin

Seems as of April 1 there's gonna be a new nasty worm out there. . Mostly they don't seem to know how bad this one is gonna get, but they seem to be leaning on pretty bad.Here's the link.

http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/128643/beware-conficker-worm-come-april-1/

Thought some folks might like to know about this one. Some of us aren't too computer savvy, most of us wouldn't know what to do with this one. Think you'd have to be a tech person to figure this out.

Margaret

I have read the article and been watching the press on this thing. Every year we hear the same thing and nothing comes of it. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist, but what better "April Fools Joke" than to claim something like this and it really does not exist.

Seems to me if they know enough to actually know it's for real then somebody at Symantic would have the fix already. I liken this to the "Hurricane Forecasters" when they claim 15 named storms with 6 of them Major Hurricanes and then when it's all said and done it's no where near that number.

This is one of those cases where I hope I'm right. Who knows? I guess we will find out April 1st.

Symantec does know about it and if you use Symantec, you are already protected against it. I figure most other virus protection programs have you covered also. It's those that are not practicing safe computing who would be in trouble. :)

http://www.symantec.com/norton/theme.jsp?themeid=conficker_worm

Note: The article also points out that if your Windows is up to date, you are also protected.

... Most toys aren't worth anyone's effort to mess with! :stickpoke:

Goose

Funny, that's what I usually tell people when they ask why I've never used Microsoft products on my own hardware. Why would I want a toy OS? I mean seriously, you have to buy your own compiler!

Linux has never ever had a virus in the wild. Oh, and the compiler comes with it.

Third Gen?

Man, there ain't no fight here. If we can get a 3rd generation Venture with good looks, functional storage, and a Linux engine, I'm all for it!!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

(but don't put no apple on that thing or I'll have to buy a paint shaker.)

Man, there ain't no fight here. If we can get a 3rd generation Venture with good looks, functional storage, and a Linux engine, I'm all for it!!!! :rotf::rotf::rotf:

(but don't put no apple on that thing or I'll have to buy a paint shaker.)

Nor here, though I guess I shoulda' used some smilies.

Almost seriously, though, I'm thinking a Third Gen needs Squeeze's engine, not some hamster wheel with a penguin munching on a Granny Smith, burping butterfly parts. :)

I work in IT and we are taking this threat very seriously. We really have no choice. I could not even guess how many hours we have devoted to this. Even though we are running updated virus software we will never assume that is will stop the threat.

It is funny how every time there is a virus threat there is discussion on how much better Linux and the Mac operating systems are. When is comes to being immune to viruses I don't think it's a reflection of how much better the operating system is but more a reflection of market share. The market is clearly PC/Windows so that is where the effort goes when it comes to viruses.

I am not necessarily a proponent of one over the other. If I could run all of our business applications on Mac or Linux box then I would but we are not even close to that yet.

Even if this is a hoax, I don't think that any time spent being prepared for it is a waste.