After reading the threads this winter I found mention of an exhaust leak at the Y. I got my bike out of storage yesterday and sure enough I have the same leak on both sides. I am taking my bike to the dealer next week and will ask them to replace the exhaust under warranty.

I see a number of members have had the exhaust replaced under warranty. I was wondering if anyone has not been able to get this fixed under warranty?

If I can't get this replaced under warranty, I will plug the leaks with JB Weld. I see a few members have gone this route. Does anyone know how the JB Weld fix has held up?

Also, what are side effects of having the leak?

This is a warranty issue and dont let them tell you differant. If nothing else the bike is covered front to back for 5 years on everything other than normal wear items like brake pads, oil, tires.

Some dealers can be difficult to work with and try and give you a bum steer. I hope yours isnt like that. If so then you will need to contact an area rep or Yamaha Corp in Toronto if things get bad.

Yes, the leak is absolutely covered under warranty. But to answer your other question, the only issues you have when it leaks are some popping on deceleration and dirty exhaust gas on the chrome near the Y (which wipes right off). :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I had both mine replaced last year. I was getting a strong gas smell and could feel where the exhaust was leaking from in behind the Y. Here's a pic of one of them....I guess its leaking in the area where the soot is ?

27436.jpg

Keith

Edited by Freebird

Guest JGorom

Totally a warranty issue...I had mine replaced on my 05 RSTD and 04 Venture. I think mine were both leaking on the right hand side (as I sat on the bike).

Let us know how you make out...

• 1 year later...

I wish I had found this forum before a few weeks ago. My 2005 RSTD stated doing that when the weater got hot. Read around on some forums and they acted like it was normal. Bike went out of warranty in April of this year. But it does not do it if the temp is below 82 out side. Looks like I will start looking for leaks.

V7Goose found that mine was leaking on the right side at Don's MD this year, when the dealer checked it, he ordered replaced both sides uder warranty. I would not have known, if I hadn't been at MD.

The experience and knowledge you find there is unbelieveable !!

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

V7Goose found that mine was leaking on the right side at Don's MD this year, when the dealer checked it, he ordered replaced both sides uder warranty. I would not have known, if I hadn't been at MD.

The experience and knowledge you find there is unbelieveable !!

MIKE aka Uturn

:Venture:

Some of it even usefull.....:whistling:

So is the leak pictured above enough to cause intermittent pop on decel? I have located a similar leak on the left side and also a pop on decel from the left side.

Thanks

RSTDdog

Yes, that was an excellent picture of where the crimp leaks, and your description is exactly what happens. You still may have other problems that contribute to the excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust, but the leak in the pipe is letting in the oxygen to cause the pop.

Goose

I gotta go check mine... Another thing I found curious is with the bike idling, and standing behind it, I can feel the pulses from the exhaust damn near 10 feet away. Couldn't beleive it. Never had that with the '83. 2-3 feet was about it. Could this be because of the ECS??

Yes, that was an excellent picture of where the crimp leaks, and your description is exactly what happens. You still may have other problems that contribute to the excess hydrocarbons in the exhaust, but the leak in the pipe is letting in the oxygen to cause the pop.

Goose

Funny you should say that (excess hydrocarbons), because after I posted this and read another thread where people mentioned you could feel the leak, I checked and both sides leak, but only the left side pops.

I can usually keep it from popping by not closing the throttle all the way. Carbs have been off before (before I owned it), Two of the bowls are on backwards (can't get to the drains). It seems to run fine, but need to get in there and have a look.

RSTDdog

Check the ones that got replaced. I'll just about bet you the new ones leak too!! I told my dealer about this when my bike was new and he ordered new ones. Come to find out when the new ones arrived, he did a pressure test on them and they leaked just like the old ones did. I told him that I wanted it noted on my record that if the pipies burned out or caused any other problem that it would be at their expense and he said OK. The Y-joints leak because they are crimped insted of welded together.

Check the ones that got replaced. I'll just about bet you the new ones leak too!! I told my dealer about this when my bike was new and he ordered new ones. Come to find out when the new ones arrived, he did a pressure test on them and they leaked just like the old ones did. I told him that I wanted it noted on my record that if the pipies burned out or caused any other problem that it would be at their expense and he said OK. The Y-joints leak because they are crimped insted of welded together.

They do not all leak, at lest not bad enough to cause a problem. But yes, I have seen new replacements that leaked too. This was an especially bad problem in 2005 and early 2006 - I saw one bike that the dealer had to order three Y pipes on one side before he got a good one.

Goose

Edited by V7Goose