That's an early SuperBrace brand fork brace. I have one just like it on my '83. The newer SuperBrace looks a little different.

Well, I bought it. Got it for $90 shipped, which is probably too much for a machined hunk of aluminum, and a used one at that, but what the heck. A new one is over $130.

Bad time to ask this, but are these things really worth it? Do they have any noticable effect? I've noticed a flex in the forks if I whip the bars back and forth quickly (not moving of course) which I think manifests itself in a little wobble in slow u-turns and possibly in exacerbating the 35-mph-front-end-wobble. I have hopes that this thing will help with that. Opinions?

Jeremy

In my opinion, a Superbrace fork brace is a MUST HAVE for any 1st gen. It will help avoid the "wobbles" that you can sometimes get at interstate speeds, especially when you hit a bump in the middle of a sweeper.

• 8 months later...
What does it do?

Here is a thread about a group buy for the fork brace

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21285

and Jacks responce of what it does

"Just to make it short and sweet I gleaned this off the Super Brace site.

reduces speed wobbles, fork flex, front tire wear and rain groove sensitivity while dramatically improving overall handling and front-end stability."