IGNORED

How much fuel is really left in my tank?

If I am not mistaken, and I may be, my 08 RSV is suppose to hold 5.9 gallons of fuel. I think I read in my manual that when the fuel light comes on, I have about 1 gallon of fuel remaining and I will have to switch to reserve pretty soon after the light somes on. It is true that I have to switch to reserve pretty soon after the light comes on. However, when I fill up, it only holds about 4 gallons. If my tank does hold 5.9 gallons, I should have almost 2 gallons of fuel remaining. My question is do you think my fuel light is coming on a little soon or does the tank hold 5.9 gallons and only 5 gallons is usable fuel? Or do I have 1.9 gallons of reserve fuel? I'm a little confused because I was thinking I only have 1 gallon of reserve fuel.

Edited by raceman62race

hello

i leave mine on reserive all the time that way i dont have to mess with the leaver when it runs out of gas then when the light comes on i know i have time to look for a station to put gas in i use to switch the leaver but found this is mush easer then messing with it

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

The most I've put in is about 5.75. I did punch the holes in the filler neck & you can do 40-50 miles once you flip the lever to reserve. I think my fuel light comes on with about 1.5 gallons left. That's just a guess.

I suggest taking your bike out with a filled 1 gallon gas can strapped on somewhere. Drive it until it runs out of fuel. Fill from gas can and head to a station. Then you will know for sure how your bike behaves.

Just make sure you are on a highway with gas close by.

I got 211 indicated miles out of my tank.

RR

hello

i leave mine on reserive all the time that way i dont have to mess with the leaver when it runs out of gas then when the light comes on i know i have time to look for a station to put gas in i use to switch the leaver but found this is mush easer then messing with it

bumble bee

kevin wisor

1999 rsv

jax fl

Just my :2cents: but you need to turn that leaver ever now and then othewise the seals in it will go bad and when you need to turn the gas off to remove the tank you could end up with a leak. :2cents:

I suggest taking your bike out with a filled 1 gallon gas can strapped on somewhere. Drive it until it runs out of fuel. Fill from gas can and head to a station. Then you will know for sure how your bike behaves.

Just make sure you are on a highway with gas close by.

I got 211 indicated miles out of my tank.

RR

+1 :)

Based on my personal experience with three RSVs, the tanks hold six US gallons, the fuel light and trip meter will trigger with 1.5 gallons left, and I regularly run 30-40 gallons on reserve before I fill. If I slow down just a bit (anything below indicated 70), I can get 60 miles on reserve if I don't have a head wind. If you are just riding on a straight level road, you probably won't get quite as far on reserve since there is no leveling hose to connect both sides of the tank. You need to be doing some leaning and up hill riding to keep sloshing the fuel over to the lft side. I have put in over 5.8 gallons several times without running out, but I vented my filler neck long ago - that is the only way to get that last half gallon in there! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Do not trust the instruments. My bike runs out of gas when it shows about 1/4 full. I switch to reserve and it still shows I have lots of gas. After I fill up and get going again the instruments show empty for a couple miles then full.

Do not trust the instruments. My bike runs out of gas when it shows about 1/4 full. I switch to reserve and it still shows I have lots of gas. After I fill up and get going again the instruments show empty for a couple miles then full.

On my RSVs, the instruments have been VERY reliable and consistent for close to 80,000 miles now. I think if mine were broken, like yours seem to be, I'd simply have them fixed instead of saying not to trust them.

Goose

is what my 07 RSV will hold.

Once i switch to reserve there is about 1 gallon available.

Unfortunatly the filling station was 48 miles away and i'd been getting 45 mpg.

ran out just shy of the station, coasted for a bit too.

found a 1.5 gallon can, put exactly 1 gallon in it (if the pump was correct).

hiked back to the bike, emptied the can and putt-putted to the station.

4.51 gallons later the tank was full.

no - i haven't poked holes in the filler neck.

How do you vent the neck in the tank? Is there a write up for it somewhere?

Thanks, BigD

Remove the cap, take an awl and "gently" drive two holes as high up on the filler neck as you can. Make one at twelve o'clock and the other at three o'clock, and make them as large as you can. Caution: do this in cool temperatures (relieves fumes), and use a wood or leather mallet-sparks are something you don't want. The metal in the filler is thin and soft and I use the palm of my hand to drive the awl. I place a cloth on the side of the cap that would contact the awl if I slipped. Takes about five minutes.

Once you have done this-don't fill to top in hot weather or if you are not going at least thirty miles so the full level will come down.

Remove the cap, take an awl and "gently" drive two holes as high up on the filler neck as you can. Make one at twelve o'clock and the other at three o'clock, and make them as large as you can. Caution: do this in cool temperatures (relieves fumes), and use a wood or leather mallet-sparks are something you don't want. The metal in the filler is thin and soft and I use the palm of my hand to drive the awl. I place a cloth on the side of the cap that would contact the awl if I slipped. Takes about five minutes.

Once you have done this-don't fill to top in hot weather or if you are not going at least thirty miles so the full level will come down.

What about the sparks from the awl and the tank hitting each other.

My bike runs out of gas before the light comes on so i know its time to go to reserve when it starts missing, several miles later the light comes on.

I have found that if you are as silly as me and try hard enough you can run out of gas. If you do run out on reserve just do this and you can get another 2-3 miles. I pull off the interstate [or coast dead as my case] then gently lay the bike on left side till front and rear crash bars touch the ground....pick it up and it will start and get you to a close station.....I'm 61 and have a bad back from MX racing years ago but our Ventures pickup real easy.:Venture: JerryK

Here is a link to the article in our tech library:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

In my experience, you need at least four holes of good size between the front and right side (high side on the side stand). If you make sure the awl is in contact with the filler neck when you strike it with the hammer, there is no chance of sparks. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Based on my personal experience with three RSVs, the tanks hold six US gallons, the fuel light and trip meter will trigger with 1.5 gallons left, and I regularly run 30-40 gallons on reserve before I fill. If I slow down just a bit (anything below indicated 70), I can get 60 miles on reserve if I don't have a head wind. If you are just riding on a straight level road, you probably won't get quite as far on reserve since there is no leveling hose to connect both sides of the tank. You need to be doing some leaning and up hill riding to keep sloshing the fuel over to the lft side. I have put in over 5.8 gallons several times without running out, but I vented my filler neck long ago - that is the only way to get that last half gallon in there! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Now pulling the trailer, loaded, with the wife on the back. I only got 24 miles, after going on reserve. after the light goes on, I got about 1.5 miles, before switching over.

I filled up with 5.9 gallon.

I never trailer without extra gas ANYMORE

Here is a link to the article in our tech library:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=302

In my experience, you need at least four holes of good size between the front and right side (high side on the side stand). If you make sure the awl is in contact with the filler neck when you strike it with the hammer, there is no chance of sparks. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I have been thinking about doing this to both my bikes, Not every one has one but a Bit & brace with a sharp bit.

I have been thinking about doing this to both my bikes, Not every one has one but a Bit & brace with a sharp bit.

Drilling is absolutely NOT advised for this. Obviously an electric drill creates lots of sparking in the motor, but any kind of drill will put metal shavings in your tank. NOT good. Use a punch or leave it alone. Just my opinion.

Goose