IGNORED

regarding clutch

hairman

I went to get my son from school again today on my 1999 RSV (58,000 miles). My clutch kept slipping really bad today. It done this on the way there and back. I bought this bike back in August of last year and it didn't start this until this year. I changed the oil in it last month before I did any riding. I used Mobil 1 racing 4T fully synthetic 10w-40. I bleed most of the black fluid out of the reserve and put fresh in it. It looked pretty clear in the clear hose I was using. Do I need to keep trying to bleed it or what? Any advice would be helpful. Thanks hairman

If the former owner did ride the bike like a slow Harley in low RPM´s then you might need to change the clutch.These bikes need to be driven up to a healthy RPM in every gear. Do it the other way around and the clutch will not last very long. The police here in Reykjavik, Iceland had a Venture and they fried the clutch every 7.000 miles. They rode it like the Harleys they had and simply did not know how to use this bike. They sold it because of this but never speculated on why this was happening. Now they are riding Yamaha crotch rockets as well as their old Harleys. Some people just don´t know when they got something good in their hands. So my guess is that your clutch is gone - Sorry - but I hope I am wrong.

These brown Sauce sure isn't a good Thing, but it isn't causing the Clutch slip either.

When you depress the Clutch Lever the Clutch Plate is pushed away from the Clutch Package against the Force of the Diaphragm Spring.

If your Clutch Package isn't holding up, in other Word "slips", either the Diaphragm Spring is weak, the Oil contains Friction Modifiers, the Friction Plates are worn out and/or the Steel Plates are warped.

When you've been riding for some Miles with slipping Clutch, the steel Plates are blue and done. So are the Friction Plates.

I would dare say that you need to replace the spring, I have gone through this on lots of Ventures both 1st and 2nd gens.

For under a $100 you can get the problem resolved, go to this website

http://www.pcwracing.net/

Talk with John Ganey and he will set you up with what you need. Tell him you want the clutch upgrade kit for the Venture. I have done 5 2nd gens with this problem and it all went away afterwards. I also would change out the brake fluid in all your reserviors just because it's 10 years old more than likely is the original stuff.