IGNORED

--Question -- Any comments--

GeorgeS

Due to current discounting, I am considering buying a Ford Ranger XL small pickup truck.

As to the Engine, 2.3L I4, and the transmissions installed in those vehicals. ??

Also, considering buying a trailer, for hauling the bike south to Calif. to gain a few more months of good rideing weather each year.

OK. I'm open to any and all comments concerning the Ford Ranger Truck, as to engine reliability, etc etc etc.

-- Tear it appart for me if you have any information !!! :think:

Any Ford is a good truck.

Little under powered for any trailering. I would look for the v6.

Fuel ecomony will not be much less, if any and you will be happier in the hills.

The 4 cyl is a good reliable engine but its a bit underpowered. You wouldnt be able to tow your bike any distance without issues.

I have Ford`s 3.0 duratec V6 in my 07 Escape and there was times last summer going into the wind when towing my 6x12 enclosed trailer with my 85 G1 inside was all my escape could handle. Goin thru some of those mountain passes I was losing speed and the computer had shut down my air conditioner on those long climbs to conserve horsepower.

My hiway mileage ranged from 13mpg to as high as 20mpg while towing down to Venture west last summer depending on wind and terrain. Not towing anything i get 25-28 mpg mostly.

Brian

I am not familiar with Fords but I am Chevrolet S10 and GMC Sonoma. I have always had v6s and from what I hear from the people that have the 4 cylinders they only get 3 or 4 more miles to the gallon. I normally get about 21 mpg driving 60 miles a day. When I picked up my DR in Indiana I got 25 mpg both ways. Surprised me. I pulled a 6'x10' enclosed trailer to South Dakota and then to Colorado. I had hoped to get 15 mpg and only got 13. I didn't use OD because the transmission is a little weak. The trailer had my Venture and camping gear so it was loaded pretty heavy. That was before my wife realized that she could ride long distances.

I am not allowed to comment on Fords, per my fathers request when we were growing up! Something about not cussing and being nice to your neighbors!

LOL

Dan

PS, bigger motor, better pulling. Always buy it for what you're going to use it for. Don't do Mopar trucks, seen too many of them sitting in yards with their rear-ends puking out on them.

Well, I have a Ranger XLT which I bought new in 2000 and it now has 196000 miles on it and I wouldn't trade it for a new truck. It has the 3.0L, 5 spd., and AC. I drive it hard almost to the point of abuse and it has stood up to my driving. As for the mileage the best I ever got was 23 mpg. on I-45 on a 3 hr. drive between Houston and Dallas. Mine is the "SUPERCAB" which is the 4 dr. version which I recommend highly. As far as recommending it to buy new, it gets my vote. I looked at the Dodge, and the Chevy but went with the Ranger. Even with almost 200000 miles on it I still think it is a great buy for what they cost.

Don H.

Due to current discounting, I am considering buying a Ford Ranger XL small pickup truck.

As to the Engine, 2.3L I4, and the transmissions installed in those vehicals. ??

Also, considering buying a trailer, for hauling the bike south to Calif. to gain a few more months of good rideing weather each year.

OK. I'm open to any and all comments concerning the Ford Ranger Truck, as to engine reliability, etc etc etc.

-- Tear it appart for me if you have any information !!! :think:

truck may be to small to tow your trailer & Bike. may only be able to tow a class 1 hitch.

I have a 3.7 L Dodge ram 1500, with a class 2 hitch, and my 4 x 6 trailer, (Fully loaded mind you) is a chore ( Construction equipment )

I think the Ranger is a good small truck. I had some really bad trouble with a couple of GM's back in the 80's and never went back. Bite me once (rear end fell out then paint came off)...ok...bite me 2nd time with another truck (rear seal leaking that could not be stopped), then never again.

I have had some really good luck with the Fords. Lots of miles with nothing but stuff that is supposed to wear out...tires, brakes, belts changed.

I have had F150's, cars, Explorers and now own a F250 4 door diesel.

If you plan on towing your bike, I think I would go with a bigger truck. Especially if you plan on a enclosed trailer...They just seem to have more drag when towing. You know they say...bring enough gun...well bring enough truck.

I am not sure the smaller truck is really gonna give you that much better gas mileage. 15-26 The 09 F150 is supposed to get 14-21 and has a lot of improvements for 09. F150 is the 09 Mototrend Truck of the year if that means anything.

That is my opinion....

I've been a Parts Dept. manager at Ford dealerships since 1983. The 4 cyl. Engine , Not good for towing. The 3.0L fine for towing but terrible fuel mileage. The 4.0L Perfect ! Great towing power and great fuel mileage.

I have a 05 Dodge Dakota with the 3.7. It will pull 4k of boat but struggles on some longer hills. Mileage is around 17.

Won't do that again. Just bought an 08 F150 Super Crew with the 4.6 and its getting 17 also. I would much rather have the full size PU any day of the week if the mileage is going to be about the same.