IGNORED

Nitrogen enriched fuel

TEW47

as far as i know nitrogen is a non flamable inert gas. to put it in a liquid state requires a very low temperature like way, way below zero. i can't see how they could mix it with pump gas and how it would have any effect accept to cool combustion and slow down the burning rate. still it would have to some how be mixed with the fuel. the atmosphere has alot of nitrogen gas in it. :)

as far as i know nitrogen is a non flamable inert gas. to put it in a liquid state requires a very low temperature like way, way below zero. i can't see how they could mix it with pump gas and how it would have any effect accept to cool combustion and slow down the burning rate. still it would have to some how be mixed with the fuel. the atmosphere has alot of nitrogen gas in it. :)

They don't necessarily mean "pure" nitrogen. It is possible that someone is mixing an ammonia base or some other sort of nitrogen compound in with the fuel.

I cannot see how it would help. High levels of nitrogen in the air already make it very dificult to control NOx emmissions. Unless this is purely for performance reasons.

Beyond that, I am a powertrain engineer, and I haven't heard a thing about it. I will google it and get back to you. Can you post a pic of the sign?

Yep...after reading this... I went to fill up my van with gas and it happened to be a Shell station. The girl working inside had on a T-Shirt announcing their new Nitrogen Enhanced gas. Sounds like another gimmick to me. The shirt said "prevents engine sludge".

Actually it is nitrogen enriched detergent additives,, and seeing as all detergent additives in fuel are federally controlled, it probably isn't much different or better than anyone else's. I expect if it was oxygen enriched they would have got Billy Mays to do the ads.

Nitrogen enriched fuel? To think the EPA was all hyped up about controlling NOx emissions and forced auto manufacturers to put EGR valves on cars to lower combustion temperatures and reduce nitrogen compounds in emissions, which supposedly created acid rain.

That and there is 26% nitrogen in the air the engine breathes.

I am not buying it.

i am a real sucker for going out of my way to buy shell gas. they claim they use 5 times as much detergent as discount fuel and it will keep deposites from building up on the back of your intake valves, a real power robber. they also claim that their premium will actually clean the residue off the valves that is already deposited there. i can't believe me ,snarley bill, actually actually falls for this. i will run on fumes to get to a shell station. could it be old age or is it a :sign brain fart:. :depressed: