IGNORED

Winter storage

frankc

Hello everybody, The weather here in Pa. seems to be colder longer that I'd like it to be. However, my question is, how many of you who live in a cold climate, start your bike up once or twice a month and let it warm up? Is this ok to do? I don't have a battery tender on it so I have been starting it up every once in a while.

Buddy of mine says it will rust my pipes from the condensation. He suggests I leave it alone, that I might be doing more harm that good. I'm talking about an 08 Venture.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

I think it does more harm than good. Your oil is cold and thick and can't get to where it needs to be very quick. It will cause condensation in your pipes as well. Get a battery tender.

Waiting for the :snow2: snow to leave.

I've heard the same thing concerning condensation, but I've also been told you can help to avoid it by letting the bike really warm up. If the bike doesn't reach a good operating temperature, the pipes don't get hot enough to evaporate the moisture that collects in them. This can lead to rusting. So if you're only starting it up and letting it run a couple minutes, you may be doing more harm than good.

However, I called the BMW service rep about mine, concerning the same thing (that and battery tenders). He said that as long as I really let it get warmed up, I shouldn't have a problem. However, since my bike is partially air cooled, he recommended I put a box fan in front of the bike to keep the heat down, especially on the exhaust headers. I thought it sounded a little odd since it was around 20 degrees at the time, but he still recommended I do it. I'm not one to question the service guys (at least ones that haven't done me wrong), so I did as told.

I will state that I'm definitely no expert in this area, but that is my experience.

You can start it but make sure the fans switch on, then it is up to full temp.

I would let it idle for 30 minutes or more after the fan comes on the first time.

and as stated above, use a box fan to keep the air moving over the exhaust pipes.

Run some Camp fuel in the gasoline. abut 1-4 Oz per gallon to keep things clean in the fuel system durring storage.

Keep the fuel tank full durring storage.

I run mine up to temp and let the engine fan come on a few times before i shut it down, i never thought about the water in the pipes that much, but i dont like the ideal of anything siting for half a year not doing anything at all,things seem to go wrong after they been siting for a long time.Unless you have a heated garage you have condensation in your pipes anyways.

I'm in a warmer climate, but it's still not the greatest riding weather... wet... so the bikes sit for long periods. I do start them and let them warm up. Keep in mind that if you're not using a battery tender, and have a wetcell battery, the stator will only put out above 2500RPM, and idling will draw the battery down. It also takes about 45 minutes of riding to replace the amps used during starting... read that somewhere.... I also use touch to make sure the motor get's up running temp. Feel the clutch and middle gear covers to make sure that the oil gets hot...not just the water temp.

Hey as long as there isnt snow or ice on the road you can take it out and ride it, I try to get mine out as much as I can. I took it to work 2 days last week and it was 29 on morning I left for work just dress for it and make sure you have some good gloves or heated gloves.

I'm in a warmer climate, but it's still not the greatest riding weather... wet... so the bikes sit for long periods. I do start them and let them warm up. Keep in mind that if you're not using a battery tender, and have a wetcell battery, the stator will only put out above 2500RPM, and idling will draw the battery down. It also takes about 45 minutes of riding to replace the amps used during starting... read that somewhere.... I also use touch to make sure the motor get's up running temp. Feel the clutch and middle gear covers to make sure that the oil gets hot...not just the water temp.
Yes, I remember the service guy telling me that as well, about not simply letting it idle because it was easier on the electrical system with the RPMs up.

There are as many opinions on this subject as there are people. All of them are right.

I do have some experience with combines. ( they sit for 11 months and work like dogs for 3 weeks) Other than the A/C system they do not seem to suffer many ill effects from storage.

If you are starting it I would let it run to full operating temp.

now for my:2cents: If it is in cold storage I would let her sit till spring. If it is in a heated garage then I would highly recommend that you frequently sit on it and make vroom vroom noises.:rotf:

I put stabilizer in it and just let it sit, besides the condensation thing, how much carbon buildup are you getting letting it idle for a half hour. I have a suzuki for 25 yrs that sits all winter, she starts just fine in the spring. Good luck with whatever you choose. Craig

I Run My bike religiously every sunday. have 12 pack next to bikes, and let 'em run for 40 min.

Stratoliner has 20 min idle shut down, so i know after 2nd one there are ok. Amsoil Synth. oil never turn into honey even when was -20F. And of corse can of see foam in each full gas tank over winter. when is sunny and no ice on the road, I usually take a ride.

Edited by stardbog

stardbog is right on. i ride mine every couple of weeks but if you can't, start them and let them warm up good, i mean until the crankcase gets warm. if you let them sit, up and down temps will cause condensation to form in the cylinders and on the engine internals, like gears, cams, and other metal surfaces. i have had engines apart that have sat indoors unheated through the winter and there was actually fine rust forming in the cylinders and on the gears and cams. from condensation. thats why i will never winterize a bike. worst thing you can do to a motor. i also have battery tenders on all my bikes. if you do start them always warm them up completely. if you can't start them or ride them bring them inside where it is warm. i keep my zx14 in my shop at 70 degrees. i start it every so often just to get the oil up on the engine internals. at room temp i don't worry about warming it up cuz there is no condensation. remember if you do start them in the cold ,you have to warm them up completely., or you will get condensation in the oil and water in the exaust system. bill

I also run the bike once a week just to keep the oil....Amsoil.... where its suppose to get to and I keep the revs at about 2000 to 2500 for about 20 mins. I leave the battery tender on when not running it and did the same last yr with no problems.

Long term storage, more than three months you are suppose to put a tablesppon of oil in the cylinders, and let them sit, with the battery removed.

I just let them sit with the battery removed and charge it up. Actually depressing to start it up and listen to it run them open the garage door to see 5 feet of snow.

BRad