IGNORED

Metalflake Helmets

Freebird

Do you miss them? Do you even remember them? I'm bet most of us here do remember them. Here is a neat article about Fulmer who is producing them again, including the metal flake "stars and stripes" helmet from Easy Rider in celebration of their 40 year anniversary. You can even get the bubble shields. :)

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-accessories/2009/fulmer-helmets.htm

Do you miss them? Do you even remember them? I'm bet most of us here do remember them. Here is a neat article about Fulmer who is producing them again, including the metal flake "stars and stripes" helmet from Easy Rider in celebration of their 40 year anniversary. You can even get the bubble shields. :)

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

The "red metalflake" one.......yikes!!! Just like I remember it. No bubble shield though, just the small visor that snapped on. When I no longer used it, it was kept for the memories. The grand kids/grandkids took thier turn wearing it and playing motorcycle. The foam inside was disinigrating slowly and I finally chucked it out (just 2 years ago)

Again Thanks.....Will Make My Day!!

Ed

Metalflake is not that hard, it just takes a skilled paint guy which are pretty rare today. My 83 venture is now metalflake with some other awesome "retro" paint effects that are updated to look very modern. Remember erriedes? The ground up pearl that you sprayed on, laid down some plastic wrap wrinkled and pulled off then airbrushed with candy? IT has an effect that makes people go WOW. I had several car paint guys freak over my bikes paint as they acted like they never saw that effect before.

The advantage is that the new urethane clears can spray over older paints that allow you to do the cool stuff again while not having any fade problems and be harder than heck so it cant be scratched. The paint guys that poo-poo using lacquer dont know what they are missing, it's why House of Kolor still sells the stuff.

Yeah I read that too, to cool! Makes me remember my old CB350 days!

OMG - Yes! My first one was a blue metalflake 3/4. Didn't need it for motorcycles back then in 1968 but most of the 1/4 mile race tracks required them. I had a 1964 Pontiac 389, 4 speed with 3 duces. Ran 12's in the 1/4 mile. What I wouldn't give to have that car back again now.

Our son was home a couple of weeks ago, telling us how popular they had become. We drug out our metal flake, bubble sheilds from the basement. He about died when he saw that we had gotten a custom painted "logo" on the lower back of the helmet. Said that he'd love to take them off our hands and resell them. I thought he was joking! Don't know what the "originals" sell for but he sure got a bang out of seeing them.

I may not be old enough to have had one of my own, but when I was little I remember running around in an old gold flake helmet of my dad's, driving my fisher price car.

Actually, I have a picture (no, you'll never see it) with me in a diaper, huge leather gloves, the gold helmet, and nothing else. :rotf:

Our son was home a couple of weeks ago, telling us how popular they had become. We drug out our metal flake, bubble sheilds from the basement. He about died when he saw that we had gotten a custom painted "logo" on the lower back of the helmet. Said that he'd love to take them off our hands and resell them. I thought he was joking! Don't know what the "originals" sell for but he sure got a bang out of seeing them.

I don't think their worth much as there 1000's of them kicking around along with the old Bell helmets and just about everybody I knew back in the 70's had at lest one bell helmet in their collection. I'm starting to feel old thinking about this stuff.:grandpa: