IGNORED

modular/flip-up helmets

bj66

In my family we've tried several different types and all are very good . I bought a new Nolan two years ago at Americade for 50% off. My son wears a Fulmer which we bought at a dealer for about $100 . My brother wears a Zues that he loves. Many of them vary only in noise cancellation. HJC has a nice modular too,little higher price range but don't neccesarily think higher price means better helmet.

www.leatherup.com is an awesome online store with great customer support. they sell more than just leather products. I bought a full face from them for $60. They have many different brands to chose from at a discounted price. Dont worry about getting from the internet either because their exchange policies are great. They are very helpful.

I'm looking for a new helmet. Need a modular, I wear glasses. What are your opinions on a good, reliable, SAFE helmet. Prefer not to break the bank. Also realize that, most often you get what you pay for.

Last two Modulars I bought for my wife we got through Leather UP. Excellent prices and seemingly hight quality. They have a great fit return policy also.

I used to wear a full-face, but after going to the Nolan modular helmets, I won't wear anything else. The N102 and N103 have the option to mount a headset in them without modification (and J&M makes a headset just for these that is better and cheaper than Nolan's headset).

I currently wear the N102. The N103 is a newer version that moves the extra dark visor inside instead of outside the main visor. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

We use the same (102), and are very happy with them. I didn't have much luck with the Nolan brand electronics (N-com) though. If you go this route and you use the intercom, I recommend you go with aftermarket headsets that are made to fit. I think Goose has a good set on his, don't remember what brand / model though.

I've been keeping an eye on the Nolan N103 that J&M sells + the correct harness cable for the Venture. J&M have them for sale with the the headset already installed in the helmet...about $500.00 bucks.

I wear prescription glasses, so taking on and off the helmet should be easier instead of taking off my glasses all the time with my current FF. My son may inherit my Arai FF this coming riding season.

Correction to my last post...I am no longer eye-balling....I just picked up a Shark Evoline (in the Absolute color scheme). Local dealer e-mailed me a 1 day only - 50% of any in-stock parts or accessory, so I accessorized me a new helmet. Made it out the door for ~$245. Nice helmet if you ask me, and that is coming from a guy who does not really like full face helmets. WebBikeWorld also had a review on the DOT version, which meets DOT and ECE standards in both modes....

For you guys want comfort of flip up helmet, and save $$$ here is what I use for last 4 years.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=116803

Nice fit, quiet and cheap. Getting little hot in temp's over 85F but which one doesn't. Nice thing about this helmet is optional heated visor, which keep fogging off in extreme cold weather riding. I really like this helmet, and I will buy it again.

For you guys want comfort of flip up helmet, and save $$$ here is what I use for last 4 years.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=116803

Nice fit, quiet and cheap. Getting little hot in temp's over 85F but which one doesn't. Nice thing about this helmet is optional heated visor, which keep fogging off in extreme cold weather riding. I really like this helmet, and I will buy it again.

sorry item is sold out.

Nolan 102. Can't say how much I enjoy the flip face with the sun visor. It's latch for the flip is especially strong and I like the chin strap mechanism. After trying several full face and flip face my wife agree and bought one as well.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided on a vega summit II helmet. did a lot of looking, tried the HJC ISMAX helmet, it was ok. didnt fit me quite right. My head is right between a xl and 2xl. probly would of worked with a 2xl and xl cheek pads. The inner sun visor could of been a little lower, and it felt like my chin stuck out the bottom. Also front bar was awfully close to my face. Ordered the vega online. Trusted reviews I'd seen on internet. Ordered a 2xl. according to their size chart my melon fits right in the middle of a 2xl. Pleasantly surprised, received it tonight. Put it on, no forehead pinch! the chinbar gives more room,and you dont feel like your chin is sticking out either. I havent had a chance to ride with it yet, dont know how quiet it is. Also like speaker pockets sewn into the liner. So far I'm real happy. No problem with glasses either. I'd say if your looking for a new helmet you could do worse than this. Much worse in fact.