IGNORED

Need a carb question answered

I know we have a lot of smart cookies here, and I need a question answered. I am currently working on an '86 for one of our members and need to know is there any difference between the 1200 and the 1300 cc bikes carburetors?

I need the #2 carb as I can't get the Air/Fuel mixture screw out as hard as I have tried. So my question is can the 1200's carb be used on the 1300 engine :confused24:

I'm pretty sure that '83 - '93 used a 34mm carb. The first gen Royal Stars went to a 28mm carb and then with the RSV and the new generation RSTD, they went to a 32mm. I don't know that everything was the same between the 1200 and the 1300 first gen but I'm almost sure that they were the same size.

The Carb Bodies(!!) off nearly all 1Gen's are the same, all are 34mm Mikuni BDST. The '83 had a Vacuum Port which isn't there on the later Carbs.

There are Differences in the Jetting, though. I'm pretty sure you need to change all Jets to fit to the other 3 Carbs.

I worked on one carb that had the idle mixture screw frozen. It refused to budge. I sprayed penetrating fluid in there and let it sit for a day... and it wouldn't budge.

So, I used a screw driver with a bit that fit pretty tight and a wrench... the wrench was used as a small hammer... I would tap the screwdriver dead lightly and twist CW and then CCW. I repeated this for about three minutes and then it JUST would wiggle. more penetrant and tapping and then a twist in and out and slowly but surely I was able to start getting more and more movement.

Originally I had wanted to just measure how many turns from a soft bottom it was.

After about a half hour I was able to get the darned thing to back out. I sprayed more penetrant in the hole and let her sit for a day, put grease on the jet threads and eased it back in going in a few turns and back about half as much and slowly was able to work it in to a soft seat, backing it totally out and wiped down the threads and put it back in to the bottom and then out to 2 1/4 turns.

I was sure I was going to be buying a carb body but all is happy.

Sqid, I'm stuck in one of those 6 days out of 7 with 12 hr shifts. I'll look for that thing as soon as I can. Are all the #2 bodies the same? Not sure which one had the vacum port on it. I'll check as soon as I can. My bikes are still in a pile in the driveway. Off to bed work at 4:00

Sqid, I'm stuck in one of those 6 days out of 7 with 12 hr shifts. I'll look for that thing as soon as I can. Are all the #2 bodies the same? Not sure which one had the vacum port on it. I'll check as soon as I can. My bikes are still in a pile in the driveway. Off to bed work at 4:00

Dan,

#2 is the left front carb, I do believe that all the bodies are the same. Thanks for the update bud, do appreciate your sticking with me :)