IGNORED

Bright Lights

5bikes

The 'true' HID are not really blinding at low beam (high beam will definitely blind you). There are cagers out there that replace their headlights with fake HID that looks like HID's. Those are the type of lighting that seems to give you the most crappy illumination and it blinds oncoming traffic.

Actually low beam HIDs can be very blinding it they are mis adjusted. They are much brighter than normal low beams but have a much sharper vertical cut off. If they are adjusted properly they appear bright but not blinding, if they are up too high they are as blinding as high beams. I often notice Ford trucks and SUVs with mis-adjusted low beam HIDs that are very blinding, yet most Toyotas and Hondas with HIDs do not bother me as they seem to come from the factory adjusted better. It is obvious that, even though they are suppose to check, dealers never adjust the headlights.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know i am getting back ino this conversation a little late but reading this ended the rest of the posts for me. Especially the part about the police giving you a ticket for the use of the highbeams during the DAY time. I actually just took my exam for motorcycles in VA and got 1 wrong. It was this one to be exact. I marked that it "does not" increase safety to use your high beams during the day and got it wrong. The examiner told me that VA encourages the use of High beams for motorcycles during the Daytime hours. Now coming from a cop (military or not we still utilize local statutes) the only time i give a ticket for high beams is at night when driving in the presence of other vehicles. I have never even thought about stopping someone for using their high beams dring the day. Hll i couldnt even tell they were using high beams during the day.

I have found that some states do not have laws against daytime high beams. As far as actually helping.. as in my last post, an actual study done in Australia found the accident rate difference between running with low beams and high beams only 2.5%.

Actually low beam HIDs can be very blinding it they are mis adjusted. They are much brighter than normal low beams but have a much sharper vertical cut off. If they are adjusted properly they appear bright but not blinding, if they are up too high they are as blinding as high beams. I often notice Ford trucks and SUVs with mis-adjusted low beam HIDs that are very blinding, yet most Toyotas and Hondas with HIDs do not bother me as they seem to come from the factory adjusted better. It is obvious that, even though they are suppose to check, dealers never adjust the headlights.

The keyword here is 'misadjusted' or 'misaligned'. Any lights be it HID or non-HID and if it is misaligned, it will blind a driver. For trucks, they can significantly blind car drivers because they are already up high to begin with. Newer vehicles less than 4 years equipped with HID lamps has different settings of beam. My Nissan Murano's HID have at least 3 different settings 1 being low and 3 on the highest setting (it is like an eyeball that moves up and down).

If the study done in Australia found the accident rate difference between running with low beams and high beams only 2.5%, I will continue to run high beams in the daytime.

Maybe I will be lucky enough to be seen (one of the 2.5%)

And ONCE AGAIN, the point is high beams are obnoxious, can actually blind some people even in day light, and are illegal in places. AND by running low beams AND adding amber daytime running lights (not just the almost none existent turn signal running lights) the accident rate drops 12%. Way better than running brights.

I get my bonus check Friday and I'm ordering a set of the EclipzLED signals for my bike

http://www.customdynamics.com/yamaha_turn_signal_retro.htm