IGNORED

Can't jump start a car with my RSV

juggler

This happened a few months ago. When leaving work one day I found my boss sitting in the parking lot with a dead car. He left his lights on all day. Since he had cables I said sure, I'd try to give his car a jump. I mean after all both are 12 volt systems.

Well after leaving the cables hooked up for about 5-10 minutes (yes the bike was running and reving) we couldn't get enough juice to flow to the car battery.

I guess there just isn't enough juice to really do a jump start. Maybe I could have trickle charged his battery for an hour then maybe it would start.

Anyways, another co-worker came out and we used his car to jump start the bosses car. It started right up then.

Nothing fried on any vehicle, so lessoned learned the easy way.

I think it all depends on the battery. I've read where a Chevy truck with a 350ci in it was successfully started with a VR with an Odyssey battery. The stator doesn't put out enough amps by itself to be strong enough to turn a bigger motor.

Well after leaving the cables hooked up for about 5-10 minutes (yes the bike was running and reving) we couldn't get enough juice to flow to the car battery.

I have heard reving the engine is not good idea, on either a car or bike. To much power draw can overheat things causing trouble.

Not sure if this is true or not, but I never rev them

Brad

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest VentureCruiser
Took a regular 9 ft. household extension cord, cut of plugs put clamps on and works great for bike and I did charge a car batery with it once. Hooked it up and ran about 15 min and car started. Guess it depends on how dead battery is.

:7_6_3[1]:

Not sure it would work on a bike, but I've heard of cars being jumped with the two cigarette plugs on each end of the wires. Would make it easy to hook up if it works.

• 1 year later...

When I first got my 85 VR a couple of months ago I started it with a jump off my 07 escape. I left the ignition off as I didnt want to fry an electrical on either machine. I used a heavy set of jumper cables and the VR fired right off and removed the jumper immediately on firing to avoid overload.

I replaced the battery on the ride the next day, I figured if it won't start around 0 theres' not much life left in the battery.

Brian

:sign02:

Years back I had a 305 Honda that wouldn't run with a dead battery. We once took the battery out of my friends Pinto after it was running (should have fried something in the car but didn't) and wired it to the Honda with speaker wire. I rode it back home with the battery on the seat between my legs and the Pinto following.

Jerry