IGNORED

Anyone trying to quit smoking?

RoyalPain

Hi all,

I was unsure weather or not to bring this up here, then I noticed where we had a weight loss thread open so I thought I'd put this out there. I found a new tool, an alternate nicotine delivery system if you will, that has helped me more than I ever thought possible. I have smoked for over 30 years and was up to over two packs a day. I had tried everything from patches to pills with no success. Now, even wit the stress of moving, I havent had a cigarette in almost 8 days and so far the hardest part to cope with has been the return of my sense of smell!

I'm not out to sell anything, or premote any specific product in anyway. That being said, if anyone is intrested, send me a pm.Or if a Moderator wants to check it out first, get ahold of me and I'll tell you where to look for info on what I'm using. I love this forum and don't want to break any rules, so I need to find the proper way to pass this along. At the risk of sounding totally sappy, this has really changed my life.

Pain.:7_6_3[1]:

Well heck guys....I guess I need to come clean and tell my story. The moderators here know about this but I had not decided whether or not to tell anybody else because I really don't want a big deal made out of this.

I have smoked for a long time. Those of you who know me know that I smoke a LOT. I've been a 2 to 3 pack a day smoker for many years. I KNOW all the health risks, I know that it makes my clothes stink...I know all that stuff so no need to go through it all again.

Well here's the thing. Last Saturday, I had a minor stroke. :( It happened while I was at the hardware store. My vision got all messed up ... double vision and etc....and I was a bit disoriented. It only lasted a couple of minutes I think but I knew something was seriously wrong. I made the mistake of telling my wife about it when I got home and of course she MADE me go the the Doctor. The appointment was on Tuesday.

Well I wish I could say that they are probably wrong but the Cleveland Clinic is a fairly decent operation and I have to admit that they possibly know more than I do. I was told on Tuesday that I had a minor stroke, a TIA is what they call it. I went back on Wednesday for some blood work, MRI, MRA, etc. Still waiting on some of the results but so far, it appears that there was no permanent damage.

To make a long story short, I guess I was pretty lucky. This was like a warning shot across my bow. The doctor told me on Tuesday "when you leave here, you will never smoke another cigarette"...."do you UNDERSTAND"...I said yes mam. :( She was wrong though. The first thing I did when I walked out of her office was to fire one up. I knew that she was right though and made up my mind that I would finish all my smoking before going to bed that night and wake up Wednesday morning as a non-smoker.

So far, I have kept that promise. I have not had a cigarette since Tuesday night. I am not going to tell you that I will never relapse but I can tell you that so far I am doing pretty well. I decided to go cold turkey. No patches, gums, etc. I think that those things just prolong the agony. Each day it gets a bit better. From what I have researched, my chances of a stroke due to smoking will decrease by 50% after I have been smoke free for one year. After 5 years, same as somebody who never smoked. So...we'll see.

Anyway, that is what has been going on in MY life over the past week. Like I said, I don't want to make a big deal of this but your prayers are welcome of course. :)

Don, It is crazy what it takes to stop smoking sometimes.

I still smoke and prolly will die from it I suppose. (1 pack a day)

I also have had Prostate Cancer (not smoking related) That is

on the mend. I had the seed in-plants.

I to as well stopped using nicotine ads. they just keep you full

of nicotine while your not puffing. anyways I have been through it all.

Even few months ago I tried that new pill , cut it in half

but went back to smoking.

I Just stopped telling people that I quit I just say I stopped.

I sure wish you all the luck in the world and please keep us up-dated

were here are ALL very concerned about you.

Good Luck, Be Strong and I will pray for you old boy! :)

Jeff

Dan, I wish you all the strength and luck in the world! I know that there are many people who can quit cold turkey and I hope you can be one of them. I had to find the way to get past being so ashamed to openly say that I am not one of those people, Dog knows I've tried! I know that this new device I'm using is not going to get me off the nicotine problem. But it has gotten me off the somkes where nothing else could and I'm thankful just for that.

Good luck on every aspect of what your dealing with right now. I'm pulling for you!

Pain :7_6_3[1]:

Don: We've never met and when I smoked, the LAST thing I wanted to hear was for someone to tell me about ALL OF THE RISK...I'm married to a RN...So guess how often I heard that...

Its been 1 year 5 months....I WONT GO BACK>>>>EVER>>>>

GOOD LUCK>>>>GLAD TO HEAR IT WAS JUST A WARNING EVENT>>

George in Virginia

NOTE: Feds increasing tax on cigs by another 60 cents...That will make Fed tax...$1.00 per pack.....coming in the next couple of months I think?

I quit smoking 2 years ago this month. I had smoked since I was a teenager. Even played basketball in high school and college while smoking. Texas went up $10.00 a carton on cigarettes on 1/1/07. Finally decided that $40.00 a carton was getting totally crazy. Thought to myself, now that will buy a LOT of safety chrome.

I stopped cold turkey. Haven't touch one since. Should have done it a long before then.:mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money::mo money:

LOL, well thats my goal Bill. You know what they say, "if your not living on the edge, your taking up too much space"!
just could'nt pass on that one it was too easy. i guit smoking about 45 years ago. best move i ever made. just think of it like this it could be a payment on a new bike, or free gas for a month, groceries ,etc. a friend of mine and his wife were trying to quit last month. there back to smoking again. i told him your smoking the payment on your new harley. he just bought one last year. :2133:

The secret to quitting smoking is YOU making up your mind to do it. Unless you've done that - you will not be successful. I quit a little over 3 years ago after 32 years of smoking.

Good luck! It will be worthwhile - both in health and money saved!

I have been fighting it since the 14th of Jan this year. Used to buy cigs by the carton and now I buy 1 pack at a time only. I force myself to go as long as I can without firing one up. Every day it is a series of little battles that I fight....most of em I win but there is a few losses as well.

Due to the drastic reduction I am starting to feel better....and the extra $$$ in my pocket feels good as well.

One day at a time is the only thing I can do to beat the smoking habit. I hope it gets easier once the riding season is here. I hope to smoke even less by staying on the scoot.

Don I hope all works out well for you. If anybody deserves a full break it is you.

Regards.....Boomer.....the almost non-smoker.

Don,

Glad to hear that it was a warning shot across the bow and no more serious than that, but as far as quitting smoking, it'll be the hardest thing that you will do, at least it was for me.

All the advice and help in the world won't help. It will come from within you. I smoked for many years, and finally decided that I wanted to be in charge of my life instead of cigs. Quit cold turkey, and had to keep telling myself that I was stronger than the cigs. In the end, I won. Haven't had one drag from a cig since 87.

Did smoke a cigar at pork in the pines though. :D

The best of luck to you,

Steve

don, i'm definatly not one of those reformed smokers that preaches, but make me proud of you and hang in there. you will beat it. i quit when i was 40. i had a heart attack. i know i would be dead by now cuz i have a touch of emphizema. and get a little short on breath. i have no urge for one and don't even remember how good it was.lol. sorry to here about your stroke and will be praying for you. listen to that wake up call it's no joke good buddy. bill :2133:

I have been fighting it since the 14th of Jan this year. Used to buy cigs by the carton and now I buy 1 pack at a time only. I force myself to go as long as I can without firing one up. Every day it is a series of little battles that I fight....most of em I win but there is a few losses as well.

Due to the drastic reduction I am starting to feel better....and the extra $$$ in my pocket feels good as well.

One day at a time is the only thing I can do to beat the smoking habit. I hope it gets easier once the riding season is here. I hope to smoke even less by staying on the scoot.

Don I hope all works out well for you. If anybody deserves a full break it is you.

Regards.....Boomer.....the almost non-smoker.

You keep up the good work Boomer. . .cause it isn't easy.

I quit smoking in May/07 but it was with Chantix. You sound like you're doing the cold turkey thing.

I still want one. . . I think I always will. . .but I do feel the difference health wise.

And than I get angry. . angry at myself for getting so addicted to nicotine.

And they say well . . . we didn't know in the 60's and 70's what we know now. What it does to you. . . and how it causes cancer.

You can beat it. . .good luck! :2132:

Don, sorry to hear about the stroke. Thank God is was minor THIS TIME. Last monday I started taking "chantix". Next Monday I should be off too. My wife quit two years ago and now it is my turn. When you get that urge you can e-mail me and maybe WE can get past it.

:witch_brew:

Good luck to you also. So far, so good here. It's been 6 days now. It gets a bit easier each day but there are also those moments each day when the urge is pretty strong. Good luck with the Chantix. I know it has worked for a lot of people but I tried it about 6 months ago and just couldn't handle it. We are all different and for me, I decided that cold turkey was the only way. Read the warnings on the Chantix and stop taking it if you are one of the few who have negative effects from it.

Freebird - I too was a 3 pack a day smoker :mo money: I tried patches when they were prescription only, Dr. wouldn't give me any more because he knew I still smoked. I guess a person can actually OD on nicotine with a patch and lighting up if the sequence is just right.

I went to a Chiropractor and had little steel balls taped to my ear lobes. I know there were several other methods of quitting that I tried to no avail.:bang head:

One day there was an ad on the radio about a hypnotist coming to town. He offered twice your money back if you didn't quit. I thought that would be the easiest $40 I'd ever make. Well, after the lecture, the pictures and what was a trance of sorts, I quit. Haven't had one since. One thing that NEEDS to be said at this point - I had decided in my mind that I WAS GOING TO QUIT. No doubt in my mind that he helped, but the fact remains, it was my decision with outside help.

On April 4th it will be 15 years. :D

I hope you mri and other testing shows a good report for you.

Hey Don,

Patsy and I quit together using Chantix 2 years ago. We told no one we were going to quit. We just went to the Dr. and got the prescription& ordered the meds. We quit 2 weeks b4 Christmas. It was hard but because we were tired of hacking and being short of breath we were determined. I feel better now but I do not preach quitting or try to "reform" anyone. That always made me mad for others to do that to me. Hang in there sir and know that Patsy and I will be praying for you to keep the strength to just say no to the urges to light up. It does get easier with time.

Craig

hey guys ,i'm also a 3 pac a day smoker,i'm just starting into my 3rd week of quiting and i'm about to go crazy lol i'm wearing the patches and they seem to be helping,i can't seem to drink coffee now it taste so diff. ,and my rsv may not be big enought to carry me before its over lol,good luck you guys :bang head:

quote from Freebird: So far, so good here. It's been 6 days now. It gets a bit easier each day but there are also those moments each day when the urge is pretty strong.

Don and to all of you who are trying to quit.

I wish you all the strength needed to drop that nasty habit and walk away from it for ever.

I was diagnosed with emphysema about 6 years ago, and was told to quit (like you were Don) and I quit 3 yrs ago.

Since then I never ever think of wanting to smoke. I never have a desire to smoke, and I can’t stand the smell of cigarette smoke...

Cigars, they choke the hell out of me and I just have to walk away.

I can breathe so much better now and my sense of smell has increased so much, I can tell if the person in the cage in front of me is smoking. Sounds as if that is a false statement, but I swear it is true.

I never realized how terrible cigarette smoke stinks when I smoked. I always thought non smokers were just being smart A$$eS with their comments, but now I understand what they meant.

If you are a smoker, you really don’t understand or know what non smokers go through.

You may think you do, but you dont until you have stopped smoking for about 2 years at minimum to really see exactly what I mean.