IGNORED

Portable Power Supply / Jump Unit

petekadish

Hi Guys

I haven't had the need yet, but I would like to know if there are significant risks with jumping my Venture with either a portable power supply unit, or from a passenger vehicle. If I happened to be out in the middle of nowhere and I was stuck with a dead battery, would it be okay to jump my bike's battery with anything besides besides another motorcycle? Or, could the potential consequences from such an attempt, make it not even worth taking the risk? I figure that it would be best to find out these answers before I need to make a decision.

Once again, the state of my battery right now is just fine, and I haven't had any problems with it. It's currently hooked-up to a Battery-Tender and the bike is parked in a closed garage. I just want to know about this just in case I am faced with the need to make a decision sometime in the future.

Thanks & Be Warm!

Pete.

Any 12 Volt Source is good for jump starting the Bike.

But if your Battery is "DEAD", you might not be able to keep the Bike running. Because the Battery acts not only as a Source of Energy but also as a Buffer for the Voltage and Current which is delivered by the Generator. If the R/R doesn't sense less Voltage any Voltage at all, i may shut down all Energy produced. The Voltage in your System will go down and the TCI might no be able to function under this Conditions.

To avoid this, you could keep the jumper Battery 5 Minutes connected to the Bike and by this, provide proper Voltage and keep the R/R open. Running the Bike on elevated Idle (1800 top 2000 RpM) will help to charge the Battery during that Time.

Just be careful not to short anything out if using cables with big clamps. I always attach the positive cable to both vehicles first. That way if you do accidentally touch the frame with the negative cable, you don't have to worry about sparks flying.

I have seen a few vehicles with melted headlights, melted battery top, etc. No idea how they do that :p

Joshua

http://Http://www.BohannonBattery.com

Has anyone tried the old fashion method of having the bike roll down a decline or pushed and releasing the clutch while in gear to start the RSV. I know all of my smaller older bikes would start this way. I know when the starter or battery would fail on the V Star it would get you home. Not sure if the V4 would work the same as the V2.

I am not too proud to say you can push start the bike. I left mine in the accesory position twice last summer and had a dead battery. It does need to run quite some time to charge it up though which I also found out when I filled gas after push starting it. three times pushing that beast is a well learned lesson that hopefully will never happen again.:fingers-crossed-emo