IGNORED

LOWES trailers

dlhoulton

Will be taking a trip this May. This will be my first long haul trip on my Venture. Will be traveling from OK to GA, then from GA to FL (all solo). After that distance I will be meeting my family and would like to trailer my bike back. My question is are the type of trailers that Lowes have any good for carring large bikes like the Venture? They have both the open mesh floor type and the open wood floor type. What size would be needed for the Venture and which would be prefered (open mesh or wood floor)? I also will plan on getting a wheel chock for the front tire. The trailer will be pulled by a V6 Dodge Van (automatic). As you can see by my map, I need to color in some states!!!!!!!

Dennis

Will be taking a trip this May. This will be my first long haul trip on my Venture. Will be traveling from OK to GA, then from GA to FL (all solo). After that distance I will be meeting my family and would like to trailer my bike back. My question is are the type of trailers that Lowes have any good for carring large bikes like the Venture? They have both the open mesh floor type and the open wood floor type. What size would be needed for the Venture and which would be prefered (open mesh or wood floor)? I also will plan on getting a wheel chock for the front tire. The trailer will be pulled by a V6 Dodge Van (automatic). As you can see by my map, I need to color in some states!!!!!!!

Dennis

That type is okay, but I personally wouldn't get one there. They seem very flimsy. Also, I think I would want some type of rock guard at the front. 10' should be long enough. If you have a minivan you better check your towing capacity, seems like the one we had's capacity was NON-existent!

I got one from them 10 years ago called "haulin a##". It was a tilting flat bed with wood floor, i put side rails on it and hauled mine to colorado and back with no trouble. If you get the mesh floor you should put down a layer of plywood to beef up the floor or the mesh will sag

Years ago I bought a Snowbear Tilt trailer from home depot. It works well. Riding the bike up the trailer is a little bit of fun. Also had to reinforce the ramp. You also have to get the balance right so the trailer tilts back down when you get the bike all the way up. The bike is too long to put the tailgate back on with it loaded. Both front and back of the trailer change ends and lay down to make it 12 feet long if needed. I just use 1 and put it back on the front after the bike is loaded.

If youre not going to use it very often, maybe you would be better to rent for a week or 2. I used a rental from uhaul to move mine when I bought it. The cost was around 25 bucks a day, but the caveat is that you already have the proper hitch and wiring on your vehicle and you dont have a Ford Explorer. (they wont rent if you want to tow behind an Explorer for some strange reason:confused24:)

Heres the link to the pics I took when my 1st gen was in the uhaul trailer http://picasaweb.google.com/friesman1/MooseJawSaskatchewan

Brian

I just bought a 5x10 tilt trailer from a local manufacturer here in Southeast Missouri. I recently hauled my RSV on a 5x8 with a ramp and that trailer was too small. I had to rig the ramp at an angle because the trunk, etc stuck out to far. I also didn't like that ramp sticking up in the air. Even tho it was the expanded metal (mesh) it still caught alot of air and mileage on my truck suffered. Thus, I went with the tilt trailer. I'll put a strip of the expanded metal on the floor to give the bike some traction. Rock guards can easily be added as well as a wheel chock. The trailer with new wheels and tires cost me $600 new.

Years ago I bought a Snowbear Tilt trailer from home depot.

I've got one of those too (from Costco). One thing you need to watch with it is that the mount bars for the front and rear gate are only welded to the sheet metal. If you travel much with them down the welds break. I thorough bolted mine.

Dennis

1st. I don't understand, why trailer back?????.... Just take another route home, add to your states

2nd if you have too. rent a u-haul trailer for bikes.

I will be using it for more than just hauling the bike home. Have a full size chevy and will use the trailer to also haul things like lawn mower. I looks like the size should be a 5x10 to hold the bike. With all the info so far I think also a wood floor would be best. The expanded metal (mesh) just does not give me a good feeling for strength!!!

Just didn't know if the ones a Lowes were of good build and quality.

Dennis

If I remember correctly, my bike (RSV 2nd gen) measured 9 foot, 4 inches long total.

That is measuring from the front most part center line of the front tire to the most aft end of the top rear luggage compartment.

I owned a 6 wide x 10 ft long enclosed trailer and it was very close to touching the rear ramp door on the inside and the front tire was strapped up against the front wall...

Don't get anything shorter than 10'. Don't get a mess floor if you do you will have to beef the floor up or the mess will sag. If you have to beef up the mess floor you might as well get the wood floor. Keep a good eye on the gate also. Even the wood bottom floors have mess gates and the mess gate will start sagging also when you load and unload your RSV. If you get the trailer at Lowe's or someplace like that they will not alter it. If you go to a trailer sales store then you can have them weld an extra bar where you need it for extra support loading your RSV.

Harry:mo money:

Dennis,

If you go with one, go 10 ft long, I would suggest that you do the mesh bottom and add some treated 2X12's lengthwise. This will stiffen up the trailer a lot and keep road debris from coming up from underneath. The mesh will add additional support also, here is a pic of what I built out of a boat trailer to haul the RSV on when I absolutely have to.