IGNORED

One last time: THE 'WHINE'!

Okay guys (and gals), I need to get my head around this issue about the 'whine' I keep hearing about. I'm about to make the closing deal on my 09 RSV and I'm getting really concerned so I'd like to ask a bunch of questions in regards to this and get some positive answers.

1) Just how serious an issue are we talking about here? I've heard that 'Hey, crank up the tunes and you won't notice it!' as an answer but that doesn't cut it. What if I just wanted to hear the wind whistling by instead and get lost in my thoughts rather then cruise to 'Born to be Wild' all day?

2) Just how common is this problem? I mean, percentage wise, are we talking 10%? 25%? 75%? 0.1% maybe?

3) I've read over and over again how Yamaha denies there's any problem but does anyone know what industry insiders say? Are they looking or have they found a solution?

4) To me it's obvious that the whine originates from the shaft drive but have V-Star and VMax riders reported a similar problem? What about other bike manufacturers such as Honda or Suzuki? Any other shaft drive riders reporting problems?

5) And finally, (this question goes out to those that actually have experienced the problem) most of you (just as I have) researched the bike prior to committing yourselves to buy it.........so if this problem is such a pain in the butt, how come y'all still went out and purchased one in the first place?

I hope some of these questions get answered cause I have yet to see anything in regards to them and hopefully they'll help other future potential Venture buyers to come to a better, more informative decision. My deposit cheque has been cashed but I still may have an out. I truly appreciate the idea of owning a Venture but I need my fears put to rest before I close this deal. And as usual, I thank you all in advance for your wonderful input.......

Bluez :Cartoon_397:

Just to let you know, my 08 has no whine and the Mechanic says there is no whine neither, except from me when I do not get out an ride enough. :whistling:

Really, I do not have this high pitch whine. My 05 bike had some whine but not like some I have heard.

Have you rode the one you are going to buy to see if it has the whine?

All machines make noise. Even the Gold Wing makes mechanical noise. They sound like sewing machines. What may be objectionable to me may not be to you.

My '03 had the whine. Tried the "I" basket and all it did was change the RPM level where the whine started. I learned to live with it. My '06 also has the whine but it's almost undetectable. I have to really listen for it and therefore doesn't bother me at all.

Best advise is to drive the bike before you buy it if you're worried about it.

so if this problem is such a pain in the butt, how come y'all still went out and purchased one in the first place?

I just bought an '06 in Nov. I've had an '85 and an '87. The '85 had a whine and the '87 has a growl on deceleration... I learned to live with both conditions. My '06 has a whine... because I've ridden the other 2 bikes, and I know the sounds they make, it's not much of a bother to me although I do notice it. I don't think mine is as bad as some have reported but it's still there....and I will simply ignore it and enjoy the ride. I generally have my tunes on anyway and that pretty much eliminates the annoyance of the whine. Further, I am installing the Road King mufflers which apparently are a bit louder than the stock pipes and have a nicer tone so that also will take away from whatever whine there is.

here's a link to where you can hear what the RK mufflers (and others) sound like on an RSV

http://www.venturers.org/Tech_Library/index.php?action=article&cat_id=002009&id=285

I bought this bike because a) I couldn't afford a new Ultra (which was my first choice)and b) the RSV is a fantastic bike and there's nothing else on the market that even comes close.

hope this helps some.

Edited by SilvrT

I have never had a whine in my '02, but I have heard it in other RSV's. It is not a mechanical problem, and every motorcycle I have owned since 1959 had some noise. You should have heard some of the noises from my Triumph motorcycles, I thought they were going to disintegrate.

I agree with Gary’s comments. I’m quite happy with my scoot but I can certainly appreciate your concern, especially given some of the posts on the subject.

A test ride would certainly help to ease the concern but that’s certainly not an option in this weather.

Perhaps it might help if you put a clause in your purchase agreement “subject to final approval and test ride”... or something along that line. Times being how they are they just might go for it... just a thought.

Can't say that I've really heard this so called whine, weather it has one or not I wouldn't know if it was normal, mind you I haven't had anything to compare it to, seeing as this is the first time that I've ever had a Yamaha.

To me everything is fine.

Ian

Now that is what I was talking about when it came to getting advice from here! Thanks a million! Been hearing too many horror stories and not enough postive notes.

Never had a problem with my Roadstar Silverado. Damn, never had a better bike! Been wanting to 'step up' for the last 4 years to a deluxe touring bike and researched all the possibilites and when all was said and done, my final choice always pointed to the RSV. Couldn't find anything close with the same bang for your buck. Unfortunately, I bought it from looking at a demo at the Supershow in Toronto and that one wasn't available for test riding (besides, 2 feet of snow outside didn't help matters either!). The bike destined for me is in some crate God knows only where so testing that one is out too. Guess I'll just have to take my chances and keep my fingers crossed the first ride I take.

Thanks again for all your invaluable input!

Bluez :Cartoon_397:

I test rode another bike before riding the one I have now. They were both '05 models, both Tour Deluxe, both had around 4,000 miles on them and both were the same color. One had a loud whine that would have bothered me. The one I bought has almost no whine at all. Every now and then I hear a slight whine, but it's not noticable.

We have an 06 Tour Deluxe. It doesn't have "the Whine" but has what has been described in motorcycle reviews as something of a whine caused by a long intake tract. It is not a problem - Do have relatively loud BUB's - They sound great. I heard a guy at a station crank his TD up and it was terrible but he was sitting still (Clutch engaged.) His shop was going to put in an I basket but we haven't heard it since then. Hope that isn't scary - I think it is a fairly rare occurance.

Listen, I had been looking at RSV's for 5 years. Really liked the way they looked & all. Then I started researching on hear when I came close to actually purchasing one and had the same concerns you do. Since buying this bike I can tell you that the whine I hear is not objectionable to me. In fact in my opinion when I'm riding it and hear that it honestly makes it sound "more powerful" to me. I don't want a motorcycle that is completely quiet. I want it to sound strong, powerful, and ready to run. You will like this bike. Yes it has some quirks like all bikes and vehicles do. Test ride it if you can, but you won't be disappointed.

Good luck & God Bless

I was concerned about the whine when I was considering this purchase as well. I bought used though, not new, without a warranty. What I found was that my bike has a slight whine, but is something I got used to very quickly. I don't even notice it much any more. The reason I decided to buy however was because these bikes are bulletproof. I heard more good than bad about them, and I know the reputation of this companies dependibility. I have not been disappointed so far, and you get sooooooo much more for the money than any other bike out there. Not to mention that several of the riders have sooooo many miles on them without having to do anything other than routine maintainence. Some have over 200,000 miles on their second gens, without anything other than routine maintainence if I remember a thread that was posted recently correctly. No need to worry in my opinion, but it is your choice.

Hope this helps.:080402gudl_prv:

Big Mike

First I don't think we should call the whine a problem. It is part of the bike. I have a 2000 RSV with no whine. I have about four friends around here that have RSV's. Two of the four I have riddin. They have the whine. The other two I don't know because only the rider hears it. I have never heard the whine of any of the other 4 RSV's while riding with them. Ok now EVERY Motorcycle has it's own noises, personalities, or whatever. I don't care if it is two Goldwings, two RSV, two Road Stars, two HD, or two whatever they will be different in some way. It may be noises, steering, ride or some other something that makes it different from all other bikes. I also had a V-Star with saft drive and it had no whine. I now have a 06 Road Star Midnight Silverado and the RSV and I have two friends who both own a Roadie and a RSV. All six motorcycles are different. All the Roadies look alike and all the RSV's look alike but they're all different. YES I would buy the RSV again. I have not had a Yamaha yet I would not be proud to own. HD makes a beautiful bike, Honda makes a beautiful bike, and all the manufacturers make beautiful bikes. They all have there quirks. There is no purfect motorcycle out there so don't expect to find one. If the dealer you are buying your RSV will not let you test drive it tell him no thanks. There are a lot of Yamaha dealers out there. I'm sure you can find one that will let you test ride the one you want to buy. You may have to go a little further. I had to go 400 miles to get mine. You will not find anyone on this site that will tell you they don't like there RSV even with the whine. But then again if you go to a Honda forum or a HD forum they will tell you yea Yamaha makes a nice motorcycle but I prefer a Honda or I prefer a HD. So the choice is yours and your alone. Good luck on what ever you do.

Harry:thumbsup2: