IGNORED

not covered under warranty????

Well, dropped off my 07 venture at 1700 miles to have the rear splines greased and the carbs to be checked( I think they need to be resynced). The dealer told me the neither one of these is covered under warranty. I thought the rear spline thing was a factory issue. Should I call yamaha to find out? I also left them the service bulletin for the "I" basket.

Sounds like normal maintenance to me.

I think you should have approached them saying that you heard a noise in the back and the power output was off.

Then they woulda had to pull the rear wheel and verify the sync of the carbs.

I don't think the carb sync is covered but I'm pretty sure the drive pins are. Tell him its making a creaking noise and that should cover it.

#9 and #10 Clutch hub and pins are what needs to be greased and should have been from the factory. There is a tech bulletin on it. If the dealer doesn not want to do it for nothing then call Yamaha directly.

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=37591,2,0

Well, the dealer said it wasn't covered, but that they would only charge me 2 hours labor and no parts. I don't think the dealer is trying to rip me off because it's normally a three hour job. They probably would have been better compensated if it was covered under warranty.

I was in the Texas Hill Country on vacation when I noticed a noise from the rear wheel. I went to the Yamaha dealer in Kerrville, got there around 12:30 and was on the road at 1:30. They removed the wheel reset the drive bushings and greased the splines, all under warrenty.

I was in the Texas Hill Country on vacation when I noticed a noise from the rear wheel. I went to the Yamaha dealer in Kerrville, got there around 12:30 and was on the road at 1:30. They removed the wheel reset the drive bushings and greased the splines, all under warrenty.

I understand that, but what does the yamaha service manual say for a job like that. It may have only taken them an hour, but it could be listed for a three hour job. My main concern is some people here have gotten it covered and others have not, why such a discrepency.

It will depend on how you describe the problem to them. If you say I think the carbs need to be synced and while your at it grease the rear splines you are requesting routine maintenance and that is NOT covered under warranty. Same as if you were to get the oil changed or the plugs changed.

Now if you went in complaining about a problem it's a different story. I am hearing a grinding/clicking/roaring noise in the rear and it seems to be running really bad then they would have to look at it under warranty.

With that being said, you can't go in one day and say I think the carbs need to be synced and while your at it grease the splines and they say it's not covered and then the next day or a few days later say your hearing things. Dealers are not stupid and unless you have done a ton of business with them you are going to get turned away yet again.

It will depend on how you describe the problem to them. If you say I think the carbs need to be synced and while your at it grease the rear splines you are requesting routine maintenance and that is NOT covered under warranty. Same as if you were to get the oil changed or the plugs changed.

Now if you went in complaining about a problem it's a different story. I am hearing a grinding/clicking/roaring noise in the rear and it seems to be running really bad then they would have to look at it under warranty.

With that being said, you can't go in one day and say I think the carbs need to be synced and while your at it grease the splines and they say it's not covered and then the next day or a few days later say your hearing things. Dealers are not stupid and unless you have done a ton of business with them you are going to get turned away yet again.

Got it, but when I called, I only told them the rear end was making noise, almost like it was coming from the brakes. I don't mind paying for syncing the carbs, that I understand. He told me the tsb on the rear splines states that it is a wear issue, not a replacement issue. What I should have done is drove it til it broke.

Had the same issue with a growl in the rear. Complained and they fixed under warranty. I was actually quite concerned that a bike with 4000 klm would sound like the back end was falling apart. The service manager brought up the service ticket from Yamaha detailing the issue and the fix...

I would make some noise. Good Luck..

Sounds like the dealer is trying to make money from you, THEN claim the job being done under the warranty from Yamaha..

My rear splines were done at 5,000k/3,000 miles.Covered under warranty.

Complain to Yamaha if the dealer still wants to charge you. Then find another dealer.

At 1,700 miles and the carbs needed to be re synced then it would be my view they didn't either do it, or do it right, at the first service after break in.

Just a thought.

Picked up the bike friday night. They covered the rear splines, but charged me 80 bucks to sync the carbs. The bike is like a whole new bike, smooth and quiet. now I'm ready for my canada trip. I have to call my salesman back today, he was going to look into crediting me for syncing the carbs.