IGNORED

First Serious Roadtrip

jaadzu

Good ideas from everyone. The wife uses the motel shampoo that comes in the little bottles for laundry soap when we do the wash at laundromats. Plus put some dryer sheets in your saddlebags. They keep them smelling good plus you can use them to get rid of static cling when you dry your clothes. The best advice so far STAY OFF THE INTERSTATES, TAKE YOUR TIME,HAVE FUN.:D

I drag a trailer also. everything the wife needs and then some, sometimes while riding solo also. did a 4298 miler last summer, took the trailer. camping gear, cooler, food, tools,spare tire. I rode about 350- to 450 a day, mostly on secondary roads.

12 days, 14 states.

Brenda and I made an 8,000 mile ride last summer and are panning two shorter rides of 3,500 each this year. Our Piggybacker make it possible to carry the luggage we needed for the combination business and pleasure trip (suits and dresses for Sunday preaching appointments complicate the luggage situation). All the advice I've seen on this thread has been great but my perspective is a little different on the back roads and the miles to cover in a day.

Most of the miles we covered were on the Interstate. I learned that the back roads are more fun but I can't see the scenery. I live at the edge of the Ozarks, some of the best riding in the USA. I can always enjoy the twisties. If I'm gong to another part of the country, I want to see the scenery and riding the interstates allows me to do that.

We found that the difference between a 450 mile day and a 600 mile day was to ride 150 miles before breakfast. We get up early anyway and it's a pleasant time of day to ride (we're talking Summer). Breakfast on the road makes a nice break and made 600 mile days very doable.

Most of the other tips have already been covered. Be sure and listen to what the guys say about KOA Kabins.

Have a fun trip

Lynn

One more thing I would suggest id make a list of all your meds, medical conditions, surgeries, allergies etc. Also include next of kin contacts. then find yourself a xlarge pill bottle, take a felt pen and write medical info on the outside, and throw it in your bag along with your meds. Paramedics are trained to look for meds in an emergency. SOme drug stores are selling this as a complete kit, with bottle, forms and all for about 5 bucks.

Then when you get home leave it in your fridge door in case an emergency happens and no one can talk to the paramedics. Paramedics have been told in my area to check fridge doors for this info in cases where no one is concious.

Brian

Ok, one more thing I do that might save some aggravation. I call the credit card company of the card that I am going to use for my trip purchases and tell them I am leaving on a trip and will be traveling all over the U.S.. Granted you are connected to someone who marginally knows the english language {maybe}, and have to answer questions like "what states are in the western United States that might be in the United States"?:confused24: But after all this nonsense you at least won't have your credit card shutdown because of interstate usage. Don't ask how I know. If your job causes you to do a lot of traveling you might not have this issue ever come up. :D

Just thought of something else!!!! When the wife & I travel...we bring clothes that we dont wear, or are a little too small(:whistling:). then at the end of the day we throw 'em in the trash. You lose a little wieght and/or gain a little extra space in the bags as you go.

Hello out there. i'm new to the site and new to postings and would like your feedback/advice. I'm planning my first serious road trip from the rio grande valley (southern tip of texas) to south bend indiana in june. please shoot me some advice on how to prepare for this trip.

Touring tips:

http://www.google.com/search?q=long+distance+motorcycle+touring+tips&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Packing tips:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=e6B&q=motorcycle+touring+packing+tips&btnG=Search

See attached document from IBA for more info.

Good luck

Some other info I've found. Edit to suit your needs:

What to pack on a motorcycle trip?

I found this on: http://motorcycles.about.com and http://www.micapeak.com/info/mclist.html

Here's How:

1. Create a packing list of everything you want to take and where it will be placed on the bike. See Related Feature below.
  2. Depending on the bike, you'll need saddlebags, a tailpack, possibly a tank bag, and at least 3 bungee cords.
  3. Clothes should be tightly rolled up to assume the smallest space.
  4. Use the packing list to place items in the various storage areas. Include your jacket as a storage area.
  5. Evenly distribute the load on the left and right sides. Weigh the bags on a scale.
  6. Don't put too much weight on the back of the bike. See your owner's manual for limits.
  7. After all necessities are loaded, place your rain gear somewhere on top of the bike secured by bungee cords. You don't want to have to unpack when it starts to rain.
  8. Double check your list to ensure that everything is on-board.
  9. Place the packing list in your jacket or other readily available spot.
  10. Have a great trip!

Tips:

1. Use removable bags in your saddlebags to be able to easily move the contents from your bike to a motel or campsite.
  2. Always place items you don't want to get wet in plastic zip-type bags.
  3. Try to keep items you need on the road in a place where they can be easily accessed.

A Packing List for your Bike - Regular Stuff

Getting organized and packing your bike for a long trip can be difficult. There is only so much space on the bike and so much stuff to find a place for.

The list is alphabetical by Regular Stuff, Clothes, and Toiletries. You'll have to select each of the three parts separately for ease in printing. I also have a more printer-friendly version below.

Just place an X in the box where the item is stored. The notation Left, Right, Top, and Jacket gives the location where the item has been stored on the bike. Left means left saddle bag, right is for right saddle bag, top is either for a trunk or somewhere else on the top of the bike like a luggage rack or back seat if no co-rider. The jacket has lots of pockets and hiding places. Many of the list items can be stored somewhere in the jacket.

I like to pencil in a count of the number of each item next to the item. The count will change depending on the length of the trip.

If you are pulling a trailer or running a sidecar, you might want to draw in another column on the left or right where you can put an X if the item is in the trailer or sidecar.

I hope this list will help you to get organized for that long trip.

Download the list

here.

MOTORCYCLE PACKING LIST

Ok, one more thing I do that might save some aggravation. I call the credit card company of the card that I am going to use for my trip purchases and tell them I am leaving on a trip and will be traveling all over the U.S.. Granted you are connected to someone who marginally knows the english language {maybe}, and have to answer questions like "what states are in the western United States that might be in the United States"?:confused24: But after all this nonsense you at least won't have your credit card shutdown because of interstate usage. Don't ask how I know. If your job causes you to do a lot of traveling you might not have this issue ever come up. :D

Great Idea, make sure you do this one!

this happened to me last year in SLO at VentureWest, talk about embarrassing and leave you in a sense of panic about 1800 miles from home.... I understand why the card company does this, they are just trying to be prudent, but man is it a shock when you go to check into your motel and the motel wont let you because your card has been shut down. I got it straightned out after a phone call later, but I was lucky to have a great Venturerider friend along who helped me out of that jam.

Brian

One thing I am dealing with is...do you carry a full tool set? What about tire repair and compressor?

I am trying to figure out how I am gonna pack that ironing board. :think:

The best cheap solution for a compressor is to go to Wally World or the Big K and get one of the cheap ones and then break off/remove the plastic case to reduce the size to MC Friendly!

The "StopNGo" tire plugger is a great system. I plugged a tire with 200 miles on it and rode it for another 12 thousand miles!

I'm not sure about the ironing board either?!? :confused24:

I also try to stay in KOA's, they have clean showers and washing machines which reduce the amount of clothes you have to pack. I carry a light weight sleeping bag since most KOA cabins are heated and air conditioned. .......................................

Why not just shower in your clothes and kill two birds with one stone? :think: Saves on quarters too!

Edited by 86er

first, unless you have family there or you are going there to cash in a huge winning lottery ticket, plan to go almost anywhere but south bend in. i'm from there and i am convinced my old man was right when he said in that part of the country you have 9 months of winter and 3 months of bad ice fishing. come to daphne al. great seafood lovely people and beautiful rides along the gulf coast. just kidding... kinda. have a great ride and enjoy every mile.

ride safe and be cool, thumper1:080402gudl_prv:

You would be surprised how frustrating that point can be. I mentioned watch your debit/credit cards in my previous recommendations.

I had transferred most of my travel money to one of my debit/visa card cards for a trip to Scotland. After I had used it twice for gas in Scotland, I was "declined" thereafter for that card. I found out later the bank had blocked my card because of what they felt was suspicious activitiy. They sent me a new card in the mail to my home address which didn't help me on my 30 day trip to Scotland.

Another tip I forgot to mention was debit/credit cards/cards with magnetic strips in combination with the use of magnetic tank bags and possibly cell phones. They can "wipe" the data from your card so put your wallet and cards somewhere else where they don't get close to such sources.

Also get into a habit of wrapping all gear (wallet, cell phone, camera, important papers) in separate ziplock bags in case you get caught in rain unexpectedly. Surprising how fast waterproof clothing does get wet and how much perspiration the body can generate.

Ride hard, but ride safe and always ride with God!