IGNORED

Zumo 550 Audio Out

Freebird

OK folks, I got home late last night and barely had time to play with the new Zumo 550 before going to bed. This morning I stuck it in my work car so that I could try it out a bit today. Now, my work car is a 2008 Dodge Caravan. It has an AM/FM/CD unit with RCA type inputs on the front for auxiliary in. I use it all the time with my Sirius radio with a 1/8" stereo to dual RCA plugs to run from the Sirius unit to the car's stereo.

The way it works is that when you plug an audio source into the aux input jacks on the stereo, it automatically switches to aux. I simply unplugged the stereo plug from the Sirius and plugged it into the audio out jack of the Garmin car mount. It worked great at first but then it started losing the aux in signal. There is an indicator on the stereo that says "Aux" when something is plugged in. If it is on aux though and there is no input signal, the display says "No Aux Found". It will show "Aux" and work fine for a few minutes and then "No Aux Found" for a few minutes and during those times there is no MP3 nor navigation prompts heard from the Garmin.

Also, I notice that if I press the pause button on the Garmin MP3 player, I also lost navigation prompts as long as the MP3 is paused. I'm thinking that all of this has something to do with the way the aux input works on my cars stereo but was wondering if any of you have run into a similar problem. The only way I can double check it would be to get it installed on the bike and go for a VERY cold ride. :(

don never tried it on a car or pickup i just always use the car mount to hear inside the pu but it works great on the venture pluged into the tape deck and set on aux.the only problem i have had is about every month or so i have to take the sd card out and then put it back in or it gets where you can not here the music but once you insert the sd card it works great for about a month

mike

Guest tx2sturgis

Sounds to me like the builtin stereo is sensitive to a certain level of input. If the drive level into the RCA jacks is not high enough, the stereo may not have enough trigger, and tries to revert to inboard audio sources. I have heard that the Zumo audio level is a tad low. On your indash unit, is there a way to 'hard select' the RCA input?

I'm thinking you are probably dead on. No, there is no way to hard set the aux input. I think that is also why it doesn't work if you pause the MP3. I notice that when I pause the music and then start it again, there is a delay while the aux input picks up the signal. Too long a delay for the navigation prompts to trigger it I think.

I also found the volume to be lacking but figured out tonight about the two separate volume controls on the Garmin. I turned it up so tomorrow I'll bet it works much better but I'm pretty much convinced that it's not going to work unless I have the music cranked up. The only thing that really puzzles me though is that I can turn the Sirius unit all the way down and the "Aux" doesn't lose the signal.

I'm betting this is the problem and am somewhat relieved that it's not the Zumo itself. I won't be using it much in the van anyway. I have a RAM laptop mount in it and use my laptop with Microsoft Streets with GPS so don't really need the Zumo in it.

I'm thinking you are probably dead on. No, there is no way to hard set the aux input. I think that is also why it doesn't work if you pause the MP3. I notice that when I pause the music and then start it again, there is a delay while the aux input picks up the signal. Too long a delay for the navigation prompts to trigger it I think.

I also found the volume to be lacking but figured out tonight about the two separate volume controls on the Garmin. I turned it up so tomorrow I'll bet it works much better but I'm pretty much convinced that it's not going to work unless I have the music cranked up. The only thing that really puzzles me though is that I can turn the Sirius unit all the way down and the "Aux" doesn't lose the signal.

I'm betting this is the problem and am somewhat relieved that it's not the Zumo itself. I won't be using it much in the van anyway. I have a RAM laptop mount in it and use my laptop with Microsoft Streets with GPS so don't really need the Zumo in it.

I was going to ask you about the volume setting but it looks like you already figured that out. :D

Actually the Zumo will pause the MP3 player automatically when it gives you turn prompts.

Did you crank up the volume all the way on the 550 yet ? It has a volume control also. If you hold the menu button you'll get a yellow display with the brightness, press the button right below of above it (i forget which) and it will switch sides and will show a master volume out display.

Just for kickers , make sure that the bluetooth is set for cell phone only , not all MP3 and Nav together . But I bet most if not all the problem is your "DODGE" ! Try a FM modulator . My '08 F-150 has "line in" . I use the 1/8" cable and set for "line in" . I have no problems what so ever.

What I think is your radio to set for aux , senses the power out-put in the audio coming in . When there is a delay when the Zumo converts from prompt to MP3 , there's a hesitation causing your radio audio sensor to go screwy . Now if you had a solid contact input jack switch , like on the older radios converting from speaker to ear phone , you would not have a problem . Again , I think you will be better off with the FM modulator than a MOPAR radio.

Just my :2cents: .

BEER30

I also found the volume to be lacking but figured out tonight about the two separate volume controls on the Garmin. I turned it up so tomorrow I'll bet it works much better but I'm pretty much convinced that it's not going to work unless I have the music cranked up. The only thing that really puzzles me though is that I can turn the Sirius unit all the way down and the "Aux" doesn't lose the signal..

HAHA I rode all the way out West without finding this button, man I was pissed as I found it about 300 miles from home.

I use a FM Modulater that plugs into the aux port on the side of the unit. I got from Walmart works real good and you can select any station you want.

I have always had the prompts off I hate that person talking to me interupting the music.

BRad

Yes, I found the volume control. Both of them. What I'm talking about though is that if I have the MP3 player manually paused, the navigation prompts don't work at all. So if I don't want to listen to music, I can't hear the prompts.

Sometimes the pause works like the "Mute" . If you do not want to hear the MP3 , change the "source" . It will either tell you that you don't have a story book or XM not available , but the prompts will still work.

BEER30

Just for kickers , make sure that the bluetooth is set for cell phone only , not all MP3 and Nav together . But I bet most if not all the problem is your "DODGE" ! Try a FM modulator . My '08 F-150 has "line in" . I use the 1/8" cable and set for "line in" . I have no problems what so ever.

What I think is your radio to set for aux , senses the power out-put in the audio coming in . When there is a delay when the Zumo converts from prompt to MP3 , there's a hesitation causing your radio audio sensor to go screwy . Now if you had a solid contact input jack switch , like on the older radios converting from speaker to ear phone , you would not have a problem . Again , I think you will be better off with the FM modulator than a MOPAR radio.

Just my :2cents: .

BEER30

The Zumo will work with the Bluetooth FM modulator, however, it will only be mono. The Zumo does not have the stereo Bluetooth capability.

Also, when you install it on your RSV, get the BuddyRich cable to connect it under the hood. Works great and allows you to use your headset microphone over the Bluetooth. This means you can talk on the phone while riding - you now have another option for business travel.

RR

RR

I've got it figured out now. It is the Dodge stereo. If you don't have high enough input into the aux jacks, it turns the aux off. I played with it this morning. If I turn the MP3 on the Zumo down to 30%, it turns off the aux inputs. If I keep it up to 40%, it is sporadic. I have it on 100% now and it works fine. If there is more than a 5 second delay between any MP3 tracks, it turns off. One it sees an input signal, it takes 4 seconds to turn on again. That means that you have to have music playing all the time or you won't get the navigation prompts. With the music off, if you get a prompt that says, for example, to turn in .9 miles, by the time the 4 seconds has passed to turn on the aux of the stereo, you have missed the prompt already.

Bottom line, the Dodge stereo sucks in this regard. Only solution I can see is to simply use the internal speaker on the car mount of the Zumo. Wish they made some sort of device to plug inline to maintain some sort of signal on the aux input but I don't know of anything.

I put one of these in my Dodge. Works great. There's even a code you can enter to watch DVD's while your doin 90. Has aux in, video in, all kinds of stuff. And a pretty good picture.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JENSEN-Touchscreen-7-Monitor-DVD-CD-MP3-Player-VM9312_W0QQitemZ260342698282QQihZ016QQcategoryZ38649QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i14.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/28/d0/80bd_2.JPG

Buy a set of the 100 volt amplified Computer speakers, and use a 110 to 12volt converter to power them.

Set the boom box in the back and smaller ones on the dash.

Should be loud enough for you then, and the should have enough room van to fit all the speakers.

:sign20:

Brad

I'd say , get rid of that Caravan and get a decent cage with a good sound system ! From what you have told me Don about your Co., they can afford it ! And if they say NO , I think over 6,000 e-mails from the members can persuade them !

BEER30

I've got it figured out now. It is the Dodge stereo. If you don't have high enough input into the aux jacks, it turns the aux off. I played with it this morning. If I turn the MP3 on the Zumo down to 30%, it turns off the aux inputs. If I keep it up to 40%, it is sporadic. I have it on 100% now and it works fine. If there is more than a 5 second delay between any MP3 tracks, it turns off. One it sees an input signal, it takes 4 seconds to turn on again. That means that you have to have music playing all the time or you won't get the navigation prompts. With the music off, if you get a prompt that says, for example, to turn in .9 miles, by the time the 4 seconds has passed to turn on the aux of the stereo, you have missed the prompt already.

Bottom line, the Dodge stereo sucks in this regard. Only solution I can see is to simply use the internal speaker on the car mount of the Zumo. Wish they made some sort of device to plug inline to maintain some sort of signal on the aux input but I don't know of anything.

Your best bet in the van would probably be one of those FM modulators. It would play your MP3's and your voice guidance instructions. Make sure if you get one it has infinite station selection. I had one that had about 4 or 5 choices and in my area everyone of those had a local station that overroad the transmitter. Granted it was the ultra cheap model.

Well, I never cared for the Caravans before I went to work for this company. All they buy is Caravans, probably because they are lower priced than many of the fans out there. This is my second once since joining the company though. They replace them at around 110,000 miles and I have to say, I never had any problems at all with the first one. This one only has about 25,000 on it now and has been trouble free also.

The company has a certain dealership that they buy from and basically just buy whatever is on the lot. This one happens to have a different stereo setup due to the fact that it has the roof mounted flip down DVD player. I have never used it and the plastic is still on the screen but that is why it has a different stereo system.

I've actually found that the built in speaker on the Zumo car mount is plenty loud now that I've turned up the master volume so I'm OK with it. If I want to use the MP3 player, I'll just unplug the patch cable from my Sirius radio and plug it into the Zumo.