IGNORED

U-Joint dropped

Yammer Dan

I have changed quite a few rear driveshafts on 1st Gens and have never had one drop as it did today. When I pulled it there was a big clunk! Kind of dry!! It fell completely down and I'm having a time geting it back in.Always kept mine lubed good and if you are carefull you just pull it and slide it back in. Not this time. I fought it for about a hour and left it. How do you put it back. I pulled the rubber boot back but couldn't get to it. Is this the way to do it and I just need to pull boot completly off??

Dan,

Did the spline end just drop down to where you can't get the drive shaft stabbed back in? Or did the U-Joint drop completely down into the tunnel? If it's the later, then you have to pull the entire swing arm, shaft, etc to be able to get to the U-Joint.

In other words, I'm not sure where you are having your problem,

Rick

Dan you just arn't holding your mouth rite.

Just put a noose around the tail light and hoist it up in a tree then you can just drop the drive line in.

If the neighbors see you doing it they will just think your hanging up an antique Christmas ornament late.:stirthepot:

Dan you just arn't holding your mouth rite.

Just put a noose around the tail light and hoist it up in a tree then you can just drop the drive line in.

If the neighbors see you doing it they will just think your hanging up an antique Christmas ornament late.:stirthepot:

If I can pick that thing up to hang it in a tree the neighbors better keep their opinions to themselves!!!:rotfl:

You can Loosen the Rubber Boot over the U-Joint, push it back out of the way, and stick some long tool in there to position the U-Joint. You might need a helper.

I had the boot pulled once, and you can see the Joint.

I have not had to do this proceedure, but it should work.

Only problem is getting the Spring Around the Rubber Joint is not very easy either.

Pull the Shaft out of the Pumpkin and insert it the Shaft into the U-Joint first. Once you got the Shaft in proper Position, just mount the Pumpkin. Watch out for the small Spring between Shaft and the Pin on the final Drive.

Thats the way I was trying it Squeeze. Be a few days before I can get back to it.

Dan,

Give me a call, I can explain it better over the phone than on the forum. Short run on how I do them is make sure the drooping end of the u joint is centered in the tube and directly down. I take the driveshaft and pig and tilt the front fwd and pig up high and slide it in keeping as much angle in the tube as possible. I have had some that fought me hard for an hour and I walked away. Went in the next day after a good sleep and it went right in. Sometimes the gods are against you and walking away makes all the difference in the world.

Just park it up by the side of the road..................get a 12" x 12" sheet of paper and write the following on it..........

.For Sale

then go buy something that was built in this century...............

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::witch_brew: :witch_brew: :witch_brew: :rotf::rotf::rotf:

It takes me about 10 seconds to get my driveshaft into the u-joint. I take Vise Grips and place them over the lip of the big end of the driveshaft on the splines. I do not tighten them enough to score the spline, but tight enough to be able to hold up the other end of the shaft. I stick it into the tube and gently lift the u-joint with the end of the shaft and slowly turn it a little. Since I started doing it this way, I have never had another problem sliding the shaft into the u-joint.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!!!

RandyA

Lot of good advice. Its going to have to sit this week. I'm not going to be able to get back to it. Got to work at least one extra day and as many of you know the Warden's sister has cancer and it is not going to be long and I have to be with her. Going to be hard on her they were close. It is a ugly thing to see. Bike can wait I just hate to take one apart and not get it back togather.

You never know when "Brown Sugar" might want to play. She ought to be getting her nerve up!!!!:confused24: