IGNORED

Replacement Saddle help/suggestions

thecount

Hello fellow Venture Riders.

It is time to replace the saddle on the 2005 Royale Star Venture from the stock seat, to something more comfortable, support and back supportive.

Looking for your recommendations on this. I am 6' 1" tall with a 33" inseam. The saddle should have a removeable back rest for the long weekend tours, but is not needed during the week for in-city daily travels.

Found that all your recommendations for audio/headsets were helpful this past fall, and hope for the same on this research project. Knowing that the "back side" comfort is one of personal preference, general opinion from the winter bike show seems to be recommending Saddlemen or Mustang. Corbin for some reason (may be because I'm in Canada) has not faired well in the recommendations.

Thanks

:snow: Here is to hoping for NO SNOW in 90 days!

Hello fellow Venture Riders.

It is time to replace the saddle on the 2005 Royale Star Venture from the stock seat, to something more comfortable, support and back supportive.

Looking for your recommendations on this. I am 6' 1" tall with a 33" inseam. The saddle should have a removeable back rest for the long weekend tours, but is not needed during the week for in-city daily travels.

Found that all your recommendations for audio/headsets were helpful this past fall, and hope for the same on this research project. Knowing that the "back side" comfort is one of personal preference, general opinion from the winter bike show seems to be recommending Saddlemen or Mustang. Corbin for some reason (may be because I'm in Canada) has not faired well in the recommendations.

Thanks

:snow: Here is to hoping for NO SNOW in 90 days!

I'm sold on the Corbin seat. They make a backrest for it also, but for me its dished enough that it provides its own support. Corbin has allowed me to go much further in a day. Its firm at the start, but it breaks in to you personally and then becomes extremely comfortable.

There are several great vendors out there for seats. Corbin, Rick Mayer, Russell Day Long, Diamond (in FLorida), Mustang, etc. Probably left a few out. MY advice would be to at least try and sit on a couple - see if you like them. Mustangs for example can push you up towards the tank when coming to a stop, Corbin's can remain extremely firm, etc.

I would - initially - anyway - consider Rick Butler's seat mod - his info can be found in our classifieds. I initially had my stock seat upgraded by Rick Mayer - it was 200% better than the stock seat on my bike. But after 2 full years of riding, for me it still was somewhat uncomfortable - so I just sent my seat out to Rick Butler here on this site - a world of improvement. Much more comfortable. Good luck in your search.

Another vote for the Corbin Dual Tour seat. I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam. Being the fourth seat I tried on this bike, it gave me more leg room than I thought this bike had in it. It fit me well right out of the box. No break in needed. Backrests are available, and if you don't use the mounting bolt underneath, it slips on and off in a second.

I have a Corbin. I was looking for a backrest and got the whole seat and backrest for not much more than a backrest. If I ever buy another after market seat it won't be a Corbin. I have had it for 4 years. The last two winters I have modified it. They are awful hard and you kind of slide into one position. It looked good on the bike though. I heard that they will modify it for you but when I called them they wouldn't do it on a used seat.

Corbin makes a good saddle (after an azz numbing break in), but their customer service absolutely sux! For what they charge for their saddles, you can buy another stock saddle and have it modified to fit you.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Any one with the Saddleman RoadSofa? Web-site shows what I would think is an awsome supportive seat with features of gel/memory foam etc.

Corbin endorsements are appreciated, and will be paying the Corbin showroom a visit in Florida in the next few months, when we get away for winter vacation.

Thanks again.

I have one....picked it up off of Buddy. I really like it. It is a little harder than the stock '99 seat (none of the memory foam or gel), but it has a deeper bucket that fits my rear alot better. One of these days, I might order a brand new one, custom to me.... with a backrest ;)

Steve Got your PM did not get a chance to answer. Can you advise what you do not like ? You should have the pillow top and I believe it is much more comfortable than the stock seats that came with the older RSV's and the older Midnights.

Possible Rick's modifications to the seat would suffice. Or just adding a backrest will make the stock seat much more comfortable for long day rides, as it gives your lower back the support needed.

BRad

Hey Brad

What I don't like is that the Cheek bones after 4 hours are painful. Also I seem to move around back and forth in the stock saddle, not really getting set in for general azz comfort. The stock seat, seems to be soft / foamy enought but (no punn intended) is not being able to settle in for long. Also, lower back support is another general comment, in that I have none, and a seat with a better "bucket backing" would offer stability.

The bike is in storage a a dealer in the area for now, and this is doing the research ahead of the spring rush.

Thanks and hope this might assist in other comments.

Steve

AKA

well I just got a new road star. I told my wife the first thing I have to do is get a Corbin seat for it. I had one on the last road* I had and loved it. when I first put it on I thought it was to hard but after 1000 miles you could not get me to change it out, so if you get one give it some time before you judge it.

I have the Saddleman RoadSofa, purchased it second hand - little used. I wouldn't recommend it. I am 5'10" with 32" inseam, the seat pushes me too far forward, up against the tank and even more so with the backrest installed, makes for lots of room for the passenger, not good for me, I usually ride solo. I get pins and needles in the most udesirable spot that radiates down my left leg.

I have attempted to contact the manufacturer to see if they could modify it for me but they will not even return my emails, so I would say that their customer service sucks.

I agree 100%. I had a RoadSofa and was not at all happy with it. Not only did it push me forward but the fit was terrible. There was about a 3/4" gap between the front edge of the seat and the gas tank. They would not respond to my emails either. I finally sold it and bought the Corbin which I LOVE.

Okay folks, your comments are leading me back to Corbin, which I will try and get to their shop in Florida when we head south for the winter break this year. Snow and cold makes us head south for a week. To bad I can't pack the RSV05 into my carry on for the plane ride. Next time will need to trailer it out of the snow to the south to get the "winter miles" in.

That's the tough part about being in Canada, May to October and the rest is just snow and winter.:canada:

Steve sounds like the Corbin may be what your looking for. I never tried it but it is definetly different. Personally I like the pillow top which I paid over 400 bucks for as the 99 came with different seats.

Anyway when you get that bike out lets get together for a ride and the carb tune.

PS did you see this ? http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=108&day=2009-1-24&c=1

We are having a meet and eat on the 24th out by the Price club. They have good food and there shoud be a pretty good turn out.

Brad

Guest Phil Fels

So far I haven't seen any thing on the Ultimate seat from Florida.

I'm thinking of putting one on my Roadie and have heard others say very good things about it. Try going to Ultimate Motorcycle Seats.com.

Phil

Steve sounds like the Corbin may be what your looking for. I never tried it but it is definetly different. Personally I like the pillow top which I paid over 400 bucks for as the 99 came with different seats.

Anyway when you get that bike out lets get together for a ride and the carb tune.

PS did you see this ? http://www.venturerider.org/forum/calendar.php?do=getinfo&e=108&day=2009-1-24&c=1

We are having a meet and eat on the 24th out by the Price club. They have good food and there shoud be a pretty good turn out.

Brad

Hey Brad

Did not see this. Thanks for the info about the date and time. I am schedule to be out of town on Jan 23&24 and not finished the work till 11:00pm on the 24th. If I get another person to do the job, will be able to make it. But for now, I'm not able to.

Sent and email to Corbin US (Florida) to see the length of time to build a seat when we are visiting for our winter break. Replacement/custom seats are soooo expensive, but I really am wanting to make a right choice.

Hope to be there on the 24th.

Steve

Steve,

My experience with aftermarket seats is that you need to have one custom made for you and not buy one off the self or from a catalog. I have been riding a (several) Travelcade Road Sofa since 1988 and even then I have had to modify everyone of them. And it's my experience that gel inserts sound great but are highly overrated. And they really heat up when the bike sits out in the sun during a hot summer day. Now I would recommend a dense memory foam, which reduces pressure points and conforms to the shape of your butt.

Now on Corbins, you really need to test ride one for a couple of tanks of gas. I don't know how many of my friends who bought a Corbin because they thought that was the saddle to own, only to discover they are like sitting on a board and put them up for sale. On a Corbin, there is no middle ground where you either love it or you hate it. They just seem to work for some butts and not others?

Now unless you are hell bent on spending $500 or so on a custom saddle, it might be worth $35 plus shipping to have the Butt Butler rework yours. In fact Seaking over in Nova Scotia should still have a spare that I modified for him before he send me his to redo. It might be worth checking with him to see if you could borrow his spare. In fact I also just finished up a couple of Ontario seats for Brick and Hal99.

Hope this helps you,

Rick

Note: This is not a solicitation as much as an offer to help you out.

Steve,

My experience with aftermarket seats is that you need to have one custom made for you and not buy one off the self or from a catalog.

*** it might be worth $35 plus shipping to have the Butt Butler rework yours. In fact Seaking over in Nova Scotia should still have a spare that I modified for him before he send me his to redo. It might be worth checking with him to see if you could borrow his spare. In fact I also just finished up a couple of Ontario seats for Brick and Hal99.

Hope this helps you,

Rick

Thanks for your thoughts Rick. If you re-work the current saddle (rider and passengaer) what back rest would you install as longer trips my lower back is in discomfort to pain.

Will likely give you a PM to get your contact info. As this also sounds like an option to discuss.

:snow: 3" new snow on the ground today and another 3-5" coming. When will this stop!

May need a snowmobile for the summer!

Edited by thecount

In fact I also just finished up a couple of Ontario seats for Brick and Hal99.

Steve, Brick and HalRSV99 live right here as well. Brick is in Waterloo (probably close to you), if you make it to the meet and eat you can ask them yourself (as they will be there).

They will also be at Michigan meet for the rear end party on Saturday see this post. I am sure the Canadians will out number the Michigan crew.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=30266

Brad

Steve, Brick and HalRSV99 live right here as well. Brick is in Waterloo (probably close to you), if you make it to the meet and eat you can ask them yourself (as they will be there).

Brad

Sorry this weekend is out. Work is coming into the picture and I'm on call. Then pack for the chilly Saskatoon SK trip. Hear it has been -40C there last week.

If the Meet/eat on Jan 24 doesn't work in our schedule, I am always up for some Wings and beverage at the Heuther.

News from the place storing the bike, they will take the seats off and have them ready for me to p/u when I'm back from the bone chilling west.

Steve

Steve,

Noticed your thread and I have both a Mustang on my 98 RSTD (with adjustable back rest) and a Corbin on my 02 V-Strom. Of the two the mustang is a clear favorite and was from the get go. The Corbin is as advertised, great form but really hard and only now after about a year on it am I finally getting comfortable with it. The Mustang is also expensive (but what isn't) but was clearly a comfort and longevity extender in the end (pun intended). Rick was also spot on that a mod is more economical and clearly tailored to 'you' so that may be the best way to go, I will probably try that on my next bike. Good luck, isn't customizing great!:2cents: