IGNORED

Saddle Shields

I know I can't be the only guy walking around like a cowboy after a nice warm ride on the sled. Somedays can be brutal. Dam global warming. And if I don't have the wife with me to ask, I'm paranoid it looks liked I've P'd myself! Anyways I disgress........

A buddy of mine riding a '08 Ultra has these very neat looking devices called saddle shileds, and they work! But of course, they only come available for HD's ... but different models.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/catID/0/scID/0/IMID/835

The above is a link to the Kuryalyn website where the saddle shields reside.

My question: Would anyone know if the '05 RSV frame just in front of the seat, where these doohickies (technical lingo) connect is the same size or (can I dream - configuration) as any known HD's?

I figure if anyone can help it would be some Super Venturer. Thanks either way.

I'm surprised that you are having that big a problem. These bikes don't run NEARLY as hot at the air cooled Harley. That being said, I have heard a very few complaints about the heat but not many.

Sorry I can't answer your question about the shield. I've never seen them used on our bikes.

Well during hot extended rides I end up soaked on the bottom side but it's not related to engine heat so the shields would not work for me.

Mine happens as a result of the vinyl seat and my big a$$ so I have put the sheep skin on the saddle and it works fine.

Good Luck,

Jerry

Very interesting product that solves a great problem on the HDs. However, the Ventures just don't have the engine heat problem these shields are designed to fix. If you get a sweaty bottom on the Venture, it is because of not getting enough air.

A $20 sheepskin from IKEA will fix this problem and add a lot of comfort.

RR

I go on the harley tech talk web site two or three times a week. I don't have a harley but was seriously considering trading my venture for an ultra classic so I wanted to see what harley riders were saying about their bikes. I have now changed my mind about trading for a harley. If you think we have problems with the venture and bad service from dealers you don't know nothing. The problems we have with the venture and dealers is minor compared to harley davidson. Back to the heat shield. A harley mechanic on the harely tech talk site said the shield would make the heat problem worse. He said think about it. You want air to circulate to make the heat less. With a shield you are trapping the heat which makes the problem worse. Harley can't solve the heat problem so they are putting the shield on new bikes to make people think it helps.

I remember when I was in Ft. Collins, and my butt was soaked...

Wild Hair gave me a great idea...

He said stop at the "dollar" store and pick up a $1 or $2 bath tub floor carpet.

you know the one you place on the floor so when you get out you dont slip and slide..

He said fold it in half, and put bungy cord in the fold and tie it to your bike on the front of your seat. On the rear end of the seat where the two pieces of carpet over lap, you align two corners and poke a small hole in them and use two more small bungy cords (one on each side of the seat) and tie them down to the rear of the bike.

I rode 13.5 hours one day and 14 hours the next day to get back home and my butt never got wet again..I still have that piece of carpet too....Thanks Wild Hair!!!

Look y'all gotta realize anything above 37 deg F is considered balmy up in the True North. So when we do get the 3 or 4 days a year of +50 deg stuff it can be killer. Its called climatizing.... we just ain't use to that killer heat! Add in the 21 hour days of sunlight, then them dam Northern Lights flashing away... no wonder the rear is like Niagara!

Actually the fur lined seat sounds like a good idea... Come the first thaw hopefully I can dig out of the family igloo and go and check the traplines ... just gotta remember no skunk pelts this time ........ ;)

I'm surprised that you are having that big a problem. These bikes don't run NEARLY as hot at the air cooled Harley. That being said, I have heard a very few complaints about the heat but not many.

Sorry I can't answer your question about the shield. I've never seen them used on our bikes.

While coming back from FtCollins last year in 105+ temps the seat did get a little warm after about 6-7hrs in the saddle, but for the most part I never have a problem with the saddle getting to hot to ride.... Hmmmm.....

Guest tx2sturgis

Anyone who complains about heat on the Ventures needs to spend a whole day on an HD Ultra riding in 105 - 110F degree heat sometime. The only real heat that I ever feel on the Venture is the heated air coming off the radiator that wants to cook my right foot on those really hot days. I just move my boot over or back a bit and its all better.