IGNORED

Just spotted a "leak"

jrcain32

Hey all. My bike has been sitting awhile (2 weeks) and I started to take it for a spin yesterday so I started her up and let her run while I got my duds on. One thing led to another and I did not get to go on my ride so I shut her off and went about doing something else. A while later I walked by and noticed a spot of "clear oily substance" on the floor behind the side stand. At first I thought it was water but I touched it and it is thick like oil but clear. I felt up under the frame in the area I believe the leak is from and I felt something but not sure what are where it is coming from. I will investigate more when I get home. Any ideas what it could be? Looking at the left side of the bike it is behind the kick-stand. What is puzzeling to me is that it is clear in color. Oil would be darker and my oil level is good.

There is a cluster of vent tubes right in that spot, including crank case, air plenum and coolant overflow. Coolant often feels oily, and just one drop of oil does not always show dark color unless it is really old and nasty. I'd keep an eye on it but not be too worried as long as the bottom of the shock is dry. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Hydraulic fluid from clutch slave? I assume they're still using the same setup. It would run down the frame to the kickstand and drip from there. Clear fluid and feels like oil.

What does the winner get for a prize???!!!

Dan

Check all of the above suggestions then check the shifter rod where it comes out of the case... Mine seeps a little and my shifter linkage is kinda sloppy... The screw that hols on the shifter fell off once and I think I'm missing a bushing or something... I gotta fix it this winter... My Mechanic/Bro says it's a PITA to fix the shifter rod so I just been keeping an eye on it... I've done 62,000 since 6/05 and haven't had to add a drop of oil between changes..

Hydraulic fluid from clutch slave? I assume they're still using the same setup. It would run down the frame to the kickstand and drip from there. Clear fluid and feels like oil.

What does the winner get for a prize???!!!

Dan

I see his bike is a 99, so if I am not mistaken his is also a 2nd Gen Venture. When my previous bike sprung a leak on the jugs, it bothered me a lot. Hope he can narrow down what that fluid is and whether or not it is a true leak.