IGNORED

Where's Harley going with this bike

got2mnytoys

Guest tx2sturgis

It retails for 10,799 in black and 11,079 in black.

I'll take the black one. No wait, I'll take the black one instead.

:smile5:

Back in 1957 when the Sportster came out thats exactly what it was a sporty light weight v twin. Harley is finally starting to get some real sport back into the Sportster. Of course its used some Buell parts , Erick has shown Harley he can make and sell American made sport bikes. That bike may not be tops in power but a recent side-by-side with the

Aprilia V twin showed that the Sportster can hold its own on the open road replacing power with better stability and enough touq to stay on the throttle in the curves. ( Man that sounded like i took it right from the mag.) Anyway I'm a fan and glad to see Harley going against the grain a little bit to try and pull in the late twenty somethings and thirty somethings that have disposable income and want a sporting American standard.

They cant get younger riders to get on a harley until they offer a bike that is far cheaper.

Kids ride the crotch rockets because they are dirt cheap. It blew my mind how a new "ninja" and other crotch rockets are only a little more money than a large moped. remember the young barely have 2 twenties to rub together. They cant afford a $11,000 hardley retro bike.

Many of them arent interested in retro look they r hopping up japenese cars. They have different tastes.

Over here Harley aim at the middle aged rider who isn't interested in the latest crutch rocket, especially if they are a new biker or have returned after many years.

Not everyone wants a heavyweight tourer, especially to commute in or out of town on.

Apart from unreliability, Harleys have a reputation for slow handling and awful brakes. This bike is what CycleWorld said, an attempt to produce something for the European market with brakes and that goes around coners.

There are a number of other bikes on the market that are low tuned versions of other bikes and this bike will probably compete against them. 122mph is a very staid performance in this day and age - and only 39mpg (35 mpUSg ?) average.

Some people will buy it and be happy with it if it's what they've been looking for. I haven't seen any on the road though.

Edited by greg_in_london

What sense does that make? They are Buell!! The motor in the Buell chassis is a hopped up Sportster engine.

The really sporty Buells are no longer running HD 1200 Sportster motors...they're now running Rotax motors. A good portion of the Buell line still uses HD 1200 Sportster motors, but they put out a bunch more HP and torque in Buell trim than in HD trim.

you guys are missing the point. it's a fun bike. not really meant to be for the serious biker. it's like my zx 14, you ride it when you want to do something a little off the wall. and you want to crank a few wrenches to personalize it when it's raining or snowing. it's like a jet ski. only difference is you can use it for every day transportation. theres lots of fun bikes out there that are alot more expensive. take the new v-max. i would have one to play with in a minute. if i was a few years younger. i got my zx14 when i want to play. nothing at all wrong with having a play toy around to tinker with. i like the looks of xr 1200. it needs some work but it's got possibilities. the new max needs lots of work, but under all that ugly there is one good looking machine. what do you think squeeze? bill :2133:

The really sporty Buells are no longer running HD 1200 Sportster motors...they're now running Rotax motors. A good portion of the Buell line still uses HD 1200 Sportster motors, but they put out a bunch more HP and torque in Buell trim than in HD trim.
you are right. the new buel engine was a joint design between eric buell and rotax. it is one bad v-twin. don't ever tangle with one unless you have some heavy metal. they still have some improvements to make but are on the right track. the sportster powered buell is still avaliable at a lesser price. give harley a little credit they are trying to get their head out of their arse. i think they need to retire Willy g. and hire some young blood. or like the roomer went have a honda take over. :2133:

My first impression was...Unbelievable design...but not my cup of tea.
i have to agree, i love the look but been there done that. kind of moved into the high tech era as far as bikes go. i still prefer the old super cars, and street rods. these new fangled fart cars strike me as sissy mobils. :cool10:

Wanna see a fine Buell ???

Here's the second Bike from a Friend of mine ....

His first Bike is a '96 Max and the third a Honda XLV750

That is about the only Harley V-Twin i'd like to have.

Other than this i'm with Bill :whistling::whistling::whistling:

Some of you guys are giving H-D way too much credit... This bike is a retro dirt tracker styled after Motorcycle Hall of Famer Jay Springsteen's old XS-750... Except the pipes are on the wrong side... It was thought that it was going to be a Europe only model but I guess enough Americans P*ssed & Moaned about it they decided to include a "Limited" run of these here in the U.S.... As transparent as their marketing ploys seem to most of us it works for them in a big way... This model just might reel in a few more Kool-Aid drinkers..

BTW Triumph has had bike in this class for a couple of years... Sorry the Harley is not that exclusive...

2006 Triumph 900 Scrambler

http://www.cycleworld.com/assets/image/2006/Q2/051820061855500051.jpg